Case of severe paediatric Influenza A infection under CHP investigation-
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today (February 20) investigating a case of severe paediatric Influenza A infection affecting a 15-year-old boy.
The patient, with good past health, presented with fever, cough and runny nose since February 17.
He attended the Accident and Emergency Department of Caritas Medical Centre yesterday (February 19) and was admitted to the paediatric ward.
Upon admission, he developed confusion, convulsion and vomiting and was transferred to the Special Care Unit for further management.
The clinical diagnosis was encephalopathy. He is currently in a serious condition.
His nasopharyngeal aspirate tested positive for Influenza A.
He travelled to the Mainland from February 7 to 16. His family contacts are asymptomatic.
To prevent respiratory tract infections, members of the public are advised to take heed of the following advice:
For details, please visit the CHP's website (www.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/14843.html).
- Build up good body immunity by having a proper diet, regular exercise and adequate rest, reducing stress and avoiding smoking;
- Maintain good personal hygiene, wash hands after sneezing or coughing and cleaning the nose, and wear a mask when having symptoms of respiratory tract infections;
- Maintain good ventilation;
- Avoid visiting crowded places with poor ventilation; and
- Receive seasonal influenza vaccination.
Ends/Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Issued at HKT 19:31