Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China - Jiangsu province: 27 year old graduate student at a university in Nanjing died of a cold or from consuming variety of cold medicines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China - Jiangsu province: 27 year old graduate student at a university in Nanjing died of a cold or from consuming variety of cold medicines

Translation Google

A 27-year-old postgraduate doctor died of a cold: Or eat a variety of cold medicines

April 18, 2018

No one could have imagined that a cold caught the 27-year-old graduate student. The doctor who had rescued him wrote in his notes: Only 7 days from admission to death! Recently, this doctor's notes have caused widespread concern in the circle of friends. How can a cold be so powerful? What happened in these 7 days? On April 17, the reporter contacted the author of the author's note, Li Pei, deputy chief physician of the respiratory department of a hospital in Nanjing. She speculated that this was probably caused by a small cold medicine.

Doctor's notes

Xiao Zhang (a pseudonym) is a 27-year-old graduate student in economics and management. Because of "high fever for 7 days, with 5 days of diarrhea" to the respiratory department clinic...

The first impression that Zhang gave me was "tall, extremely obese, yellowish body skin, acute fever, shortness of breath"...

Can a cold be so serious? However, further inspection results confirm that my judgment is correct. The blood test suggested that Xiao Zhang?s muscles were being dissolved, kidney failure, liver failure, and severe coagulation disorders...

Because this burst of multiple organ failure cannot be explained by the ?cold?, I am very worried that Xiao Zhang?s mistake of eating any drugs leads to toxic muscle dissolution and multiple organ failure...

Donated blood, donated money, even found a liver, the young man still couldn't save it

?When I was writing this article at my desk, the hero of the story had just died due to multiple organ failures. From hospital admission to her death only seven days, two top-three hospitals and dozens of medical staff used the most advanced technology. Rescue measures and equipment have not yet saved his life."

On the day the patient died, Dr. Li Pei wrote this note. Why did you write this article? Dr. Pei told the Hyundai Express reporter because he was so sad! "This child is too young, and the time is short. Suddenly, this result could have been avoided."

Time back to last month, this year 27-year-old Xiao Zhang, who was a graduate student at a university in Nanjing, went to Taikang Xianlin Gulou Hospital to see a doctor. Before that, he had a cold and a fever for a week.

After his illness, Xiao Zhang went to the pharmacy to buy a variety of cold medicines. Did not eat, or fever, and later diarrhea. After insisting for a few days, I couldn't stay and I went to the hospital to see a doctor. I thought I was just hanging a water and I didn't think I was in an intensive care unit.

"Xiao Zhang did not believe at the beginning, that I was not exaggerating the condition, and that the cold will not be so serious." Dr. Li Pei said that in fact, the test results are even more serious than she expected. High fever 41 degrees Celsius, difficulty in breathing, blood pressure drop, kidney failure, liver failure, severe coagulation dysfunction ... These symptoms are not just common cold, the body has a total of eight organs system, and Xiao Zhang was already there are five System failure.

During the inspection process, Xiao Zhang showed symptoms of shock and was sent to the intensive care unit for emergency treatment.

After recovering for 48 hours at Taikang Xianlin Gulou Hospital, Xiao Zhang was referred to the top intensive care team in China for treatment because of his serious illness. The diagnosis of Xiao Zhang was confirmed by herpes simplex virus infection. What is herpes simplex virus infection? Dr. Li Pei told the Modern Express reporter that the herpes simplex virus is one of the most common viruses that usually cause us to catch a cold. "The child's initial symptoms were a cold."

In addition to the virus infection, Xiao Zhang?s school initiated blood donation and donation activities for him because his liver had lost its function and he had acquired septic shock and needed a large amount of blood products. Since hepatic failure requires liver replacement, Dr. Li Pei said that the medical staff who took care of Xiao Zhang also found a donor liver for him within 4 days.

In the end, everyone?s efforts did not save Zhang?s life. "Because of severe liver failure, leading to severe hypoglycemia, fell into a coma, and had no time for liver replacement, the person left." It took only 7 days from admission to the final death.

Doctor: It may be mixed with cold medicine to cause liver failure

In the beginning it was just a cold. Why did it eventually evolve into this result? Is the cold really so scary? Dr. Li Pei said that this is also the reason why she wrote the doctor's notes. Xiao Zhang is likely to be eating cold medicine to cause liver and kidney failure. I hope everyone will not eat cold medicine.

"Xiao Zhang's studies are very good. Apart from obesity, fatty liver, and abnormal liver function, he is basically not sick. Although he smokes, he does not drink. It is said that before going sick, it is very hard because of the task. It often stays up late." Dr. Li Pei told reporters. Xiao Zhang was originally in a sub-health state. During the inspection, Xiao Zhang also told the doctor that he weighed 250 pounds and had fatty liver. Every physical examination said that liver function was not good, but he did not take it seriously. ?Then his roommate went to the dormitory to show me the cold medicine on his desk. There were a lot of different kinds of names. Then he ate this, ate it, and mixed it.?

According to Dr. Li Pei?s introduction, Xiao Zhang once told her: ?Because the antipyretic effect of a cold medicine is not obvious, we bought a few more, and because of our large body size, we ate a lot of doses.? And this is very likely. It is the cause of liver failure. It may be that "acetaminophen excess" leads to toxic muscle dissolution and liver and kidney failure.

Zhongcheng cold medicines contain acetaminophen, overly toxic

What is acetaminophen? This reporter learned that this is the most commonly used ingredient in the treatment of cold medicines, and about 80% of the anti-flu medicines contain acetaminophen. "Adults taking 10 to 15 g (150-250 mg/kg) of acetaminophen once cause hepatotoxicity; doses of 20 to 25 g or higher may be fatal." Dr. Li Pei said that if it is based on liver function In poor patients, the tolerance dose of acetaminophen is even lower, and Xiao Chang?s many cold medicines contain acetaminophen. "He bought all the cold medicines for the Chinese medicine and he thought that the Chinese medicines were very safe. However, eating mixed foods may cause excessive acetaminophen."

"I really don't have enough evidence to prove that the cold medicine has caused the deterioration of liver function, but the various cold medicines he eats must be the last straw to suppress his liver function." Dr. Li Pei explained that Xiao Zhang had originally had Abnormal liver function, usually not hit the body, liver function can be maintained. But once it is hit, it may not be enough. "The cold virus infection itself will injure the liver. The medicine will then injure the liver and accumulate layers, and it will collapse."

Mixed with cold medicine, once too much may also induce leukemia

Is it really so harmful to eat cold medicine? Jiang Yuli, chief pharmacist of Jiangsu Provincial People's Hospital, told the Hyundai Express reporter that there are indeed deaths in certain circumstances. "I have been a doctor for so many years and I have encountered similar situations." He said that in the 1980s, many patients were unsure of doctors and went to see a number of hospitals. The medicines prescribed by each doctor were mixed and eaten, causing an excess of acetaminophen.

"Overdose of acetaminophen, the damage to the human body, the liver bear the brunt." Jiang Yuli explained that any drugs should be liver metabolism, if there is only one drug, the liver can deal with, if you eat other drugs, you may damage. "Current Chinese medicines generally have acetaminophen. Many patients think that the names of the medicines are different and can be eaten together. But in fact, there is more than 20 aliases for this ingredient in the market." Not only will the liver and kidneys be damaged, but the hematopoietic system will also have problems. "Serious may also induce leukemia." Jiang Yuli said that although each is a very small probability event, but it has ever appeared.

There is also a risk of Chinese and Western medicines being eaten together. It is best to take the medicine as prescribed.

Dr. Li Pei said that in daily life, many patients are mixed with traditional Chinese medicine and western medicine. ?Because I feel that Chinese medicine is very gentle and safe, many people like to eat Chinese and Western medicines, but acetaminophen is likely to be overdose.? She said that minor liver damage cannot be detected by humans and blood is needed. Check to find out. "People with normal liver function will have self-recovery of liver function after drug withdrawal. However, if the liver function has underlying diseases, it may cause problems." She pointed out that, for example, chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis, and drug-induced liver damage, etc. Poor control can cause problems.

The risk of taking medicine for colds is so great. How can we protect ourselves? Dr. Li Pei said that we must first do a good job of managing the health of the body. "For example, if you are overweight, you have to lose weight. If you have abnormal liver function, you need to avoid alcohol and alcohol." If you have a cold, take medicine according to the instructions. The most important thing is not to eat or eat cold medicine. In general, adults taking acetaminophen should not exceed 500 mg once. The interval between two medications should not be less than 6 hours. The maximum daily intake should not exceed 2000 mg. The course of treatment should not exceed 3 days. When several drugs are taken at the same time, the sum of paracetamol should be less than 500 mg. In addition, patients with cirrhosis, fatty liver, hepatitis, bile duct stones, and gallstones as well as malnutrition should be cautious with acetaminophen drugs.

If cold medicine is not good for two or three days, it is necessary to go to the hospital for medical treatment. ?You must trust a doctor to see a doctor. Tell a doctor what drugs he has eaten and what medicines he has bought before. This will prevent doctors from having to repeat the drug problem,? Jiang Yuli said.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X