Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan nuclear fallout fears spark panic buying of salt in China

Japan nuclear fallout fears spark panic buying of salt in China

Daniel Bardsley (Foreign Correspondent)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- $("html>head").prepend("<meta name=\"DCSext.author\" content=\"Daniel Bardsley\" />"); $("html>head").prepend("<meta name=\"DCSext.articlename\" content=\"Japan nuclear fallout fears spark panic buying of salt in China\" />"); //--> </SCRIPT>
    Last Updated: Mar 18, 2011

BEIJING // More than 2,100 kilometres from the nuclear crisis in Japan, worried shoppers in the Chinese capital are buying salt and iodine tablets in the hope these could cut the dangers from radiation.

While in mainland China radiation levels have not increased as a result of leaks from the stricken Fukushima plant, many residents fear the worst.
    "I have heard so many people say there could be radiation in China," said Zhang Litian, 48, a state-owned factory employee who went away empty-handed after finding the Jian Mart supermarket in eastern Beijing had sold out of salt. Staff said the store ran out by 10am yesterday.

"I take it seriously. I'm afraid of it," he said. "It is a problem for Chinese people, the radiation from Japan."

Salt, usually less than two yuan (Dh1.12) for a 500g bag, is now being sold on the streets for five times as much.

Read more:
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X