No announcement yet.

H7N9 Graph - Count of A(H7N9) Cases by Onset Date in Five Provinces in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H7N9 Graph - Count of A(H7N9) Cases by Onset Date in Five Provinces in China

Geographic Distribution of A(H7N9) in China by Onset Date

The onset date has not been publicly reported for all individuals infected with A(H7N9) from China. However, based on known onset dates, the distribution of cases indicates that Shanghai had the earliest cases in February, followed by additional cases in Shanghai in early March and scattered cases in Anhui and Zhejiang. By the middle of March, Jiangsu began having human infections which trailed off by early April. Shanghai continued having cases until about mid April.

In early April more infections started to occur in Zheijiang and may still be occurring. Cases with onset dates from mid April are now being reported from Fujian.

Click image for larger version

Name:	H7N9 Case count by onset date by Province 20130501.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	668179
    http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Re: H7N9 Graph - Count of A(H7N9) Cases by Onset Date in Five Provinces in China

I wonder if the recent drop in reported cases actually reflects a drop in actual infections.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Re: H7N9 Graph - Count of A(H7N9) Cases by Onset Date in Five Provinces in China

Originally posted by Jim Oliveros View Post
      I wonder if the recent drop in reported cases actually reflects a drop in actual infections.
      I was wondering the same thing.

Could they be moving to weekly reporting instead of daily reporting?

Comment

Laidback Al, you do the best graphics!

I wonder - is there a way to overlay the dates that wet markets were closed, or culled in a particular place? Or the date that bringing live poultry into a city/region was banned?

Although we're seeing anecdotal evidence that there is a decrease in cases after a market is closed, it would be nice to see that info in a that would more clearly illustrate if that assertion is valid.

"What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention, and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon

"The benefits of education and of useful knowledge, generally diffused through a community, are essential to the preservation of a free government." - Sam Houston

Comment

Originally posted by Catbird View Post

I wonder - is there a way to overlay the dates that wet markets were closed, or culled in a particular place? Or the date that bringing live poultry into a city/region was banned?

Although we're seeing anecdotal evidence that there is a decrease in cases after a market is closed, it would be nice to see that info in a that would more clearly illustrate if that assertion is valid.
          Thanks -

Yes, it is possible but I don't have the specific dates and locations of closures of wet markets.
          http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great job on layout!

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback Al View Post
              Thanks -

Yes, it is possible but I don't have the specific dates and locations of closures of wet markets.
              Thanks.

I'll see if I can dig up some of the dates. I'll let you know if I can find them.

"What information consumes is rather obvious: it consumes the attention of its recipients. Hence a wealth of information creates a poverty of attention, and a need to allocate that attention efficiently among the overabundance of information sources that might consume it." - Herbert Simon

"The benefits of education and of useful knowledge, generally diffused through a community, are essential to the preservation of a free government." - Sam Houston

Comment

Originally posted by Catbird View Post

Mash-Up
                of the
                Titans
                What Flu Can Do to You

Of course a decrease will occur when the incubation / genetic acquisition chain is kinked or disconnected in physical locations like wet markets.

But biologics inform us that chains may be repaired and that the new links are generally strengthened if a repair occurs. A viral system is essentially a fault tolerant, massively-parallel piece of software that knows how to reconfigure and, in this case, is able to run on almost any class of operating system. Influenza's basic design incorporates inherent HADOOP with Google Glass ? vison; no upgrade required.

Imagine how happy Microsoft ? would be if, in one day, all of their software amazingly re-designed itself and configured ports to run on hardware from Apple iPhones ? to the zEC12 ? from IBM with automatic daily installs of code upgrades, specific to each hardware platform and requiring no ongoing Microsoft ? personnel expenditures.

That's what flu can do.

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks of viral intelligence as computer programming.

Actually, thinking of many of our body's systems as programs helps me visualize a process. Problem is.... it is one GIANT program that I doubt humans will ever be able to adequately document, let alone debug.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

That is a fascinating way to look at it. I wonder if computer viruses will one day be programmed to adapt to antiviral software.

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post
                    Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks of viral intelligence as computer programming.

Actually, thinking of many of our body's systems as programs helps me visualize a process. Problem is.... it is one GIANT program that I doubt humans will ever be able to adequately document, let alone debug.

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Oliveros View Post
                      That is a fascinating way to look at it. I wonder if computer viruses will one day be programmed to adapt to antiviral software.
                      I believe they already are.

The government "spy" programs do it somehow, or perhaps they utilize any anti-viral "backdoors."

I envision making choices that maintain a healthy immune system to running an anti-viral program that removes/repairs trojans, viruses, etc.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

After doing some digging, it seems that only Shanghai did a city-wide shutdown of markets and banning of live poultry commerce on one date - April 6th. The other provinces seem to have imposed closures and bans on a piecemeal basis, one city or marketplace at a time, with staggered dates, as opposed to a province wide action. In the case of some provinces, I couldn't find any dates at all, even though there were media reports of cullings, temporary bans and closures, etc.

So it seems that it won't be possible to overlay the dates of market bans against the onset dates on this graph. However, I am going to try to work up a comprehensive list of the dates and locations of announced bans and cullings. I am curious to compare the ban dates that I can find against the known onset dates as listed in our case thread. If I can come up with something informative, I'll post it.

Comment

Working...
                        X