Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

China - 9.25% of Known H7N9 Cases are Farmers by Profession Suggesting Extensive Spread on Farms in Affected Areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: China - 9.25% of Known H7N9 Cases are Farmers by Profession Suggesting Extensive Spread on Farms in Affected Areas

A number of these cases are in Zhejiang province which is very mountainous. Perhaps farmers and city workers in more accessible places have early access to Tamiflu and other antivirals...? Using Tamiflu will give a negative result and also seems to give a better outcome :. Off the statistics?.?.
    "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

Re: China - 9.25% of Known H7N9 Cases are Farmers by Profession Suggesting Extensive Spread on Farms in Affected Areas

Originally posted by kiwibird View Post
      A number of these cases are in Zhejiang province which is very mountainous. Perhaps farmers and city workers in more accessible places have early access to Tamiflu and other antivirals...? Using Tamiflu will give a negative result and also seems to give a better outcome :. Off the statistics?.?.
      http://translate.google.com/translat...878837_0.shtml
      Could work in either direction. Perhaps those who are aware of their isolation would be more likely to maintain a stock of anti-virals, especially those working with avian species. BioSecurity plans extend to the human on the farm as well.

Until we get clear treatment profiles in an organised format from the source for each case including home tx, we are left to speculate. No valid explanation has been provided for the sparsity of sequences and the poor annotation of the cases from the health officials in China.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaLisa View Post
        My thoughts were that we are probably in less danger from my flock than we are from human to human at this point. Yes, Alaska would be the first to have infected birds, true. The Mississippi Flyway, doesn't interact much with others. Thanks for the input. I appreciate the maps that have been put up. I have a few hysterical family members. We are moving to totally secure the flock from wild birds. It's just the smart thing to do.

I will be using masks and goggles when I care for them, or butcher them, not because of H7N9 but any avian flu, which I really hadn't thought much about before this one. We have always used masks when cleaning them, but, I didn't think much about how much things aerosolize when just filling a waterer. I suppose the jump of any avian virus to humans can happen anywhere.

I am concerned about those that live near CAFOs, myself included. I know they are kept very secure, but, they do contaminate the air, water and soil massively. If something gets in there, we are toast.

I am very concerned that this virus could be 'the one'. Looking at it's characteristics, it certainly inspires fear. The one report by Chinese agricultural scientists regarding this becoming a pandemic really knocked my socks off.

I love our sustainable lifestyle, and really hope it can continue, but, it's a minor issue in view of the chance this virus could kill so many humans, and perhaps other animals that are our food sources and collapse the world economy. I'm hoping for a fizzle out, but, I am less secure that that will happen as days wear on. I am sure there are many different scenarios this could take, and it's all conjecture at this point.

I assume mice and rats are not in the avian flu loop. Mink is interesting. We used to have a lot of mink farms here, along with the dairy farms. I hear the Chinese like Midwestern mink, and there has been talk of bringing mink farming back here. Mink were linked to spongiform encephalopathy outbreaks in the 1950's.

I hope they find some answers soon.

Thanks for all your responses.
        Welcome AnnaLisa!

As you've seen, FluTrackers is the right place to find answers.

We commend you on your pursuit of a sustainable living style. If you manage a flock, more information will always be better in this type of potential crisis. As each day passes, we, like you, grow more concerned that improper surveillance depth is actively closing doors to public health solutions.

You'll be well-informed by taking an hour to overview our discussion on the genetic sequence thread because higher-level topics are covered related to the potential emergence in the United States. From detail reviews of the genetic database, our analytics show that emergent H7N9 or a precursor is currently influencing human influenza genetics in the United States and other countries identified on the GISAID thread.

If you have children or grandchildren under 5 who have access to your home, your additional vigilance of gathering a wide spectrum of information now will prepare you to offer a safer haven.

Comment

Originally posted by NS1 View Post
          Welcome AnnaLisa!

As you've seen, FluTrackers is the right place to find answers.

We commend you on your pursuit of a sustainable living style. If you manage a flock, more information will always be better in this type of potential crisis. As each day passes, we, like you, grow more concerned that improper surveillance depth is actively closing doors to public health solutions.

You'll be well-informed by taking an hour to overview our discussion on the genetic sequence thread because higher-level topics are covered related to the potential emergence in the United States. From detail reviews of the genetic database, our analytics show that emergent H7N9 or a precursor is currently influencing human influenza genetics in the United States and other countries identified on the GISAID thread.

If you have children or grandchildren under 5 who have access to your home, your additional vigilance of gathering a wide spectrum of information now will prepare you to offer a safer haven.
          Thanks for the welcome. I will read as much as I can and endeavor to understand some of the genetics of this, which is a bit over my head.

I DO have children under the age of 5. I am 60 and my husband is 62 but we are raising a child of 3. Our grandson is living with us, so we are active seniors, lol. I also have other grandchildren who are under the age of 5 who come to our home. I care for one other grandchild on a regular basis at her home one day per week as well. They don't have a lot of access to the chickens or their area, and once we confine them, they should have no contact other than to look at them from afar. We do have some biosecurity measures in place. Because we have a little one, I think I have been more cautious than many due to a fear of salmonella. At times tho, lol, I would love to know what antibodies we already have!!

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaLisa View Post
            Thanks for the welcome. I will read as much as I can and endeavor to understand some of the genetics of this, which is a bit over my head.

I DO have children under the age of 5. I am 60 and my husband is 62 but we are raising a child of 3. Our grandson is living with us, so we are active seniors, lol. I also have other grandchildren who are under the age of 5 who come to our home. I care for one other grandchild on a regular basis at her home one day per week as well. They don't have a lot of access to the chickens or their area, and once we confine them, they should have no contact other than to look at them from afar. We do have some biosecurity measures in place. Because we have a little one, I think I have been more cautious than many due to a fear of salmonella. At times tho, lol, I would love to know what antibodies we already have!!
            You do have substantial priorities on this matter then, don't you!

Comment

Originally posted by NS1 View Post
              Could work in either direction. Perhaps those who are aware of their isolation would be more likely to maintain a stock of anti-virals, especially those working with avian species. BioSecurity plans extend to the human on the farm as well.

Until we get clear treatment profiles in an organised format from the source for each case including home tx, we are left to speculate. No valid explanation has been provided for the sparsity of sequences and the poor annotation of the cases from the health officials in China.

Wikipedia lists Zhejiang province as being very prosperous yet rural people earn on average US $1465 per annum. If Tamiflu is around US $75 per pack (not sure what the actual price is currently) I am sure stockpiles would not be a priority.

I want to add my welcome to Bugonwindshield Annalisa and Nox. And thanks for the replies NS1.
              Last edited by kiwibird; May 3, 2013, 06:32 AM. Reason: Welcome
              "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

Originally posted by kiwibird View Post
                Wikipedia lists Zhejiang province as being very prosperous yet rural people earn on average US $1465 per annum. If Tamiflu is around US $75 per pack (not sure what the actual price is currently) I am sure stockpiles would not be a priority.

I want to add my welcome to Bugonwindshield Annalisa and Nox. And thanks for the replies NS1.
                We appreciate the hospitality.

TamiFlu cost is an issue. Black market pricing may be different.

Comment

Working...
                X