Belize: Influenza Outbreak at Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belize: Influenza Outbreak at Prison

More than a hundred inmates at the Kolbe Prison have come down with a type of influenza that has raised alarm bells amongst health authorities. One hundred and fourteen to be exact says the Acting Chief Executive Officer, Earl Jones. Concerned that the symptoms of many of the inmates mimic those of Dengue, the authorities immediately sent out blood samples to check for the sometimes fatal disease. The prison administration, known for keeping the media at a distance was unusually accommodating to Seven News, and today confirmed the public health scare.

Earl Jones, Kolbe Foundation
    "I have check with my medical personnel at the prison. We have about 112 cases of the common cough and cold. As the doctor confirms it, it's the upper respiratory tract infection and there are about 2 cases of flu like symptoms which is associated with high fever."

Jim McFadzean
    "I know that blood samples were taken and sent out to the lab to check for dengue. Is that true and have you all have the results back?"

Earl Jones
    "Yes, we have been monitoring the dengue situation very closely at the Belize Central Prison. As a matter of fact samples have been taken and sent out to the lab and I must say that there is no confirm case of dengue at the central prison at this point in time."

Jim McFadzean
    "What is the reason given by medical authorities for the large numbers coming down with this type of influenza?"

Earl Jones
    "This is something that we would find during the rainy season at the prison. Because of the close confined quarters that the prisoners are living in and the rainy season, the common cough and cold is something that comes up on a regular basis when ever this time of the year comes around."

Jim McFadzean
    "Are the inmates being treated by the clinic at the Kolbe Foundation or do they have to find their own medication to treat this type of influenza?"

Earl Jones
    "No. We have a clinic here and whenever the inmates comes down with any sort of cough or cold they are taken to the clinic where the doctor there conducts a proper check on them to make sure that they find out what is the cause and the problem. The medication is issued according the patient needs by the doctor there at the clinic. So they don't have to find their own medication. We have the medication here to treat these common cough and cold symptoms."

Jim McFadzean
    "Now, you have had no cases of dengue registered at the Kolbe Foundation?"

Earl Jones
    "There is no case of dengue registered at the Kolbe Foundation. As a matter of fact all incoming prisoners are screen for dengue. Samples are taken whenever they enter the facility."

Working...
X