Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the hospital to the pantheon: Account of an express burial in Masaya, Nicaragua

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the hospital to the pantheon: Account of an express burial in Masaya, Nicaragua

Source: https://100noticias.com.ni/nacionale...tierro-expres/

NICARAGUA May 18, 2020 7:57 a.m.
    Confidential: From the hospital to the pantheon: Account of an express burial in Masaya
    With 102 cases, Masaya is the third department with the most suspected cases of covid-19 in Nicaragua, according to an independent count.
    Juan Carlos Bow Confidential

The dead in the Masaya department are almost always fired with chicheros music. It is a goodbye with noise and crowd. Today, the covid-19 and the Ortega regime have changed that custom. The Ministry of Health (Minsa) obliges families to express burials, with hardly any relatives and, in some cases, at night.

Officially, no one has died from covid-19 in Masaya. The Government has found that the country registers only 25 positive cases and eight deaths - for a case fatality rate of 32%, the highest on the continent. However, the streets reflect another reality: men in white protective suits, who travel in the tubs of trucks along with sealed coffins on the way to cemeteries, where they perform solitary and semi-clandestine burials.

One of those burials was that of the RV citizen, 56 years old, who died last Sunday, May 10 at four in the afternoon, and was buried after nine o'clock that night, in the central cemetery of Nindir?, Masaya. . A silent goodbye, only broken by the sharp blow of the shovels against the ground.

The authorities of the Dr. Humberto Alvarado Hospital in Masaya gave the citizen's relatives a few hours to prepare the burial. "They told us to look for the box, the van to carry it, and that we could not see it because the box would be sealed and direct to the cemetery," said a relative, who asked to omit her name to avoid retaliation by the Ortega gangs.

“If we got things early, he could leave at five in the afternoon (from the hospital). But we had to buy the things and the afternoon grabbed us, that's why the funeral came out night, "he added.
    A direct journey

Between Masaya central hospital and Nindir? cemetery there are 6.5 kilometers away. There were no stops along the way. The coffin was watched by an official from the same hospital center, who was traveling behind, on a motorcycle.

Six men from the family, protected with gloves, masks, hats and plastic jackets, were in charge of handling the coffin, from the hospital to the pantheon. The order of the hospital authorities was that no one else touch the box, to avoid contagion.

"We asked a doctor: What possibilities of contagion were there for us? He told us that we were safe, because we would not manipulate the body, that we would not get anything out, ”mentioned one of the six men.

"Also," he added, "we asked him why the box came wet, well soaked. ‘This is part of the same security for you and everyone on the street. But don't be afraid. This is safe, ’he replied.”

Death from "atypical pneumonia"

The citizen's family was suddenly notified by the hospital authorities that he had died. “They called me on my phone and told me that my relative had passed away. That nothing could be done, that his lungs collapsed, "said the family member.

“I went to the hospital to see what had happened, and they told me that the covid test came out positive. But previously, they had told me that the test lasted until Monday, because he entered on Friday, that is, the results were from before, "he said.

However, the epicrisis of the hospital indicates that among the causes of death are: "severe respiratory failure" and "atypical pneumonia". It also notes that the patient suffered from "bronchial asthma." The diagnosis was established by Dr. Edgar P?rez, and endorsed by Dr. Leonel Jim?nez, director of the hospital.

"I told them that if it was pneumonia (the cause of death), because they did not allow me to watch it, then they told me that it could not be done, because that (the virus) could not spread," said the relative.

The situation in the department worsens

The latest report from the independent Citizen Observatory COVID-19 records in 1270 the suspected cases of coronavirus in Nicaragua; while some 233 people have died from the pandemic, and another 33 have been reported as dead from pneumonia.

Masaya with 102 cases is the third department with the most covid-19 suspects in Nicaragua, after Managua (628 cases) and Chinandega (106 cases), respectively, according to the report.

Masaya's medical sources told CONFIDENCIAL that the situation has worsened in recent days in the department, and that on a couple of occasions at least ten deaths have been reported in one day.

The department of Masaya has two hospitals: Dr. Humberto Alvarado and Sermesa, to care for a population that exceeds 317,000 inhabitants, according to 2009 data.

“Covid area” bumped

Both hospitals have designated specific areas to attend to covid-19 cases, most of which are referred from the municipal health centers.

One of the sources stressed that both hospitals have about 40 beds in their "covid area", and all of them "are already occupied" by patients. In addition, the Intensive Care Units (ICU) have eight beds for patients with this disease, who are also "occupied".

"The hospital (Humberto Alvarado) has four fans, all of them are already busy," added the doctor who asked to reserve his name.

Last April, at that hospital, at least four people died of covid-19. However, "only this Friday (May 15) we had at least 17 deaths for that reason," said the source.
    They deny the situation

Given the indications of an increase in suspicious cases and deaths by covid-19, and the allegations of semi-clandestine burials, the Government's position has been to deny the facts and attack the independent media with insults.

In one of her daily soliloquies, the vice president and first lady, Rosario Murillo, said that “there are those who specialize in creating, what we were saying, pandemics of fear, of hate, from false news. We knew, as we know every day, that in the absence of ideas and proposals, they intend to create, continue creating, false realities, and use videos from other countries, pretending to make them believe that they are videos from Nicaragua, ”he said.

In Masaya, Chinandega, Boaco and Managua, dozens of videos have been shared of protected subjects, from head to toe, who accompany coffins in the vats of light trucks or vans, which will later bury the pantheons. Some relatives and neighbors of the cemeteries have been able to see them for themselves.

Harassment at funeral

The offensive and threatening position of the Government is replicated by sympathizers of the pro-Sandinista National Liberation Front (FSLN). R.V.'s night burial He mobilized some fanatics from Ortega, who approached the cemetery to harass the family.

"When we were putting the coffin (into the pantheon) a lady came and told us:‘ you say that you are going to bury one with a covid, but that is a lie. I'm not going to believe them, if you want me to believe you, open the coffin for me, "said one of the family members.

You Can Also Read: Nicaraguans Crowd Markets As Coronavirus Alarm Soars

One of the relatives, who was outside the cemetery, said that in the pantheon there were people who criticized and insulted them because their family member supposedly did not die of covid-19, since they did not "see people" protected with gloves and masks.

One of those who buried the citizen explained: “When we lowered the coffin, we decided that everything would be buried. One by one, carefully, we untie ourselves and leave everything, even down to our shoes. ”

Visits of the Minsa

The harassment and discrimination against this family have continued. Neighbors make fun of the children and treat them as plagued. In addition, motorized men constantly pass in front of the house and sometimes stop to take pictures.

However, what most worries this family now is knowing if any of them has covid-19, since they all lived with their relative without any protection. Officials of the Minsa have visited them twice, but have not been able to calm doubts and anxiety about their state of health.

"We asked them if they were going to fumigate the house or where he was, but they told us that it is not possible. They have come twice to give treatment to all the people in the house, "stressed a family member. "No, we have been tested. And we need to know how we are doing, because we all had contact with him ”.
Working...
X