• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Virgin Islands: Covid-19- 63 cases; 1 death

Source: https://viconsortium.com/vi-coronavi...onavirus-cases

British Virgin Islands Records First Two Coronavirus Cases
    Coronavirus Published On March 25, 2020 03:52 PM
    Angela Burns | March 25, 2020 03:52:34 PM

This was announced just after 2pm today by Premier Andrew Fahie, who was accompanied in presenting statements by his Health Minister Carvin Malone and the United Kingdom Governor Augustus Jaspert.

Premier Fahie said the patients have been notified.

One is a 56-year-old male resident who traveled from Europe into the Terrence B. Lettsome International Airport on Beef Island, BVI on March 15.

“Because of the symptoms he exhibited, the medical hotline was contacted, he was tested and have since been quarantined,” the BVI leader announced.

He said patient B is a 32-year-old male resident who also traveled into the BVI, this time from the United States. He reportedly came in contact with someone who had the virus on March 8 before arriving in the BVI on March 10. He is also in quarantine at his home.

“Both cases are unrelated,” the premier clarified...
    Last edited by kiwibird; May 31, 2020, 04:57 AM.

Source: https://bvinews.com/update-bvi-confi...mild-symptoms/

UPDATE: BVI confirms third imported coronavirus case | Patient has ‘mild symptoms’
    in All News / By: on March 30, 2020 at 1:36 PM /

The British Virgin has confirmed its third imported case of the Coronavirus Disease.

Making the announcement on Monday, March 30, Minister of Health Carvin Malone said the patient is a 26-year-old male who recently returned to the BVI from an unspecified country.

“He is currently in quarantine and had only mild symptoms. His contacts are also quarantined and are also asymptomatic, which means they have no symptoms,” Malone stated.

The minister also said 143 persons of interest are now self-quarantined at home locally. This number is up from the 117 reported days ago...

Comment

Source: https://bvinews.com/143-persons-in-q...-24-7-premier/

143 persons in quarantine to be ‘guarded’ 24/7 — Premier
      in All News / By: Esther Durand on April 1, 2020 at 9:40 AM /

“When you violate the quarantine, you are violating other persons right to live. They need to understand that they are putting us in danger” — Premier Fahie

In a bid to reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus in the British Virgin Islands, persons under quarantine will now be placed under guarded surveillance at times.

Premier Andrew Fahie outlined this new measure during a live public broadcast on Tuesday, following reports that persons who are supposed to be self-quarantined were moving freely about the community.

With security guards in place, Premier Fahie said the whereabouts of these persons would be known “24 hours, seven days a week” until their respective quarantine periods expire. There are currently 143 persons of interest under quarantine locally...

Comment

https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/decl...s-de-prueba-de
        Statement by His Excellency the Governor
        Mr. Augustus JU Jaspert

On the arrival of additional COVID-19 test kits in the territory
        April 3, 2020

Good morning everyone,
        It has been another week with many challenges for us in this Territory. This is a truly unprecedented moment that has required unprecedented action by the Government of the British Virgin Islands (BVI) and I would like to thank you again for your effort to meet the new curfew. I have every confidence that we, the BVI community, will achieve this together.
        On Monday, March 30, I made a statement about the support for the people of the British Virgin Islands by the governments of the United Kingdom and the British Virgin Islands. I also promised to continue sharing information on this topic with the people of these islands. So, I am coming to you today with an update on UK support. My team in the Governor's Office and I, in consultation with our health teams here, have been working closely with teams in the UK to obtain vital equipment for BVI. We have successfully secured a comprehensive package of equipment and supplies that BVI health teams requested. This week 480 test kits arrived in the Territory from the UK, more than double our current testing capacity, and there is much more to come. These have been delivered directly to the BVI Health Services Authority. These test kits are vital to our fight against the virus, as they will allow our medical teams to identify, isolate, and treat infected people. I will continue to work, on behalf of the people of the British Virgin Islands, to secure more supplies and equipment from the United Kingdom. I intend to provide another equipment update next week, which I hope will include more test kits, PPE, and isolation installations. on behalf of the people of the British Virgin Islands, to secure more supplies and equipment from the United Kingdom. I intend to provide another equipment update next week, which I hope will include more test kits, PPE, and isolation installations. on behalf of the people of the British Virgin Islands, to secure more supplies and equipment from the United Kingdom. I intend to provide another equipment update next week, which I hope will include more test kits, PPE, and isolation installations.
        In addition, yesterday afternoon the RFA Argus set sail for the Caribbean. The deployment of this UK ship has always been planned for this year for hurricane preparedness, but the UK Government decided to move the deployment date forward to provide resilience to the British Virgin Islands and other Overseas Territories in the Caribbean. It is expected to arrive by the end of next week, bringing hurricane-related help, such as water, ration packs and materials to repair damage and clear blocked roads, in the event the territory is affected by a storm. While some of this may prove useful in tackling COVID-19, too, most importantly, it is a good sign of the UK's readiness and commitment to support the British Virgin Islands during the hurricane season.
        "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

https://dominicanewsonline.com/news/...-3-april-2020/

BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS

GOV’T FORCED TO ALLOW ENTRY OF LOCALS (bvinews.com/news) Premier Andrew Fahie has said that the BVI was forced to allow for the return of nationals after the closure of borders. Legal arguments about the rights of nationals to return home prompted the move, which was agreed so long as those concerned were quarantined. ‘If I had my way, they wouldn’t have reached back at all. I ain’t afraid to tell them,’ said Fahie. There are three active cases reported on the BVI.

Comment

No new cases: https://bvinews.com/good-news-17-cor...ative-results/

Comment

Local News | virginislandsdailynews.com

www.virginislandsdailynews.com › news › local
              21 mins ago - Former UVI nursing educator on the front lines of coronavirus. By LORI ABBOTTS ... 17 BVI COVID-19 tests return negative; territory holding at 3 cases

Comment

https://bvinews.com/bvi-seeks-uks-he...-seized-by-us/
                The Ministry of Health has sought the assistance of the United Kingdom government to retrieve a shipment of medical supplies that was bound for the BVI but seized by United States authorities.

Health Minister Carvin Malone said the BVI shipment was seized because of the US government’s recent order to ‘prevent the export of N-95 respirators, surgical masks, gloves and other personal protective equipment (PPE)’.

He said the BVI’s shipment contained $12,000 worth of PPEs to help protect local health workers from contracting the coronavirus.

“I have since reported the incident to the governor who would — through diplomatic channels — be able to find ways in which we can get the goods released,” Malone said in a JTV broadcast.

He added: “We want to make sure that we have a clear path [for our] purchases of medical replacement supplies through the United States and we would be grateful it would be handled and handled effectively by the UK government and the US government. So I see no issue in terms of it being resolved.”

The items seized include N-95 masks, gloves, and gowns, Malone said.

According to US President, Donald *****, his administration banned the export of coronavirus protective gear because the USA “needs these items immediately for domestic use”.

The US has surpassed China has the country the single highest number of coronavirus cases. The US has in excess of half-a-million COVID-19 cases and more than 18,000 coronavirus-related deaths.

Comment

https://bvinews.com/bvi-unofficially...19-recoveries/
                  The British Virgin Islands, unofficially, now has two patients who have recovered from the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Health Minister Carvin Malone and Premier Andrew Fahie announced during a radio broadcast Thursday night that two of the territory’s three confirmed COVID-19 cases returned a negative result after retesting.

Malone said the samples of those two patients were among eight others that returned a negative result when tested here in the territory.

Though the results all came back negative for this first retest, Premier Fahie said the BVI will have to wait for official verification from the Caribbean Public Health Association (CARPHA) who will conduct their own tests. CARPHA’s results are expected to return from Trinidad by Monday, April 13.

“There were six new tests and two of the persons who tested positive before also tested at that time because they were due based on the schedule in terms of retesting,” Premier Fahie explained.

“Two of the persons were those who confirmed as positive cases a few weeks ago in the BVI, and they have now gone through all the measures of the isolation and all the different possible treatments possible for them, and they have now tested negative,” he further said

Comment

https://bvinews.com/commentary-coron...ic-leadership/
                    US seizing medical supplies

Today, the USA is in the Caribbean interdicting vessels in the Caribbean and seizing medical supplies for various islands, as it panics. The US economy has practically collapsed.

An economic depression is approaching. And until this virus is eradicated, all ‘manufactured cash’ for stimulus is better placed in a ‘fiery furnace’. In the past month, 20 million US jobs have disappeared into thin air.

It will be interesting to see whether a 50 percent unemployment rate — half the USA workforce — will impact Donald *****’s re-election effort. It probably won’t. After all, the man rides a golden horse, according to his evangelical supporters. To be continued

Comment

https://bvinews.com/bvi-now-nearing-...ne-unofficial/

The British Virgin Islands will soon be considered coronavirus-free once no new cases are recorded in the territory.

This is because two of the three original confirmed cases have officially returned negative results from the Caribbean Public Health Association (CARPHA) in Trinidad.

The remaining case has also returned a negative result after undergoing an unofficial test in the BVI. That third patient is now scheduled for the second official testing in Trinidad this week.

Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Irad Potter who told BVI News the territory will have a 100 percent recovery rate once the third patient returns an official negative result.

“That person is recovering well. We expect that they would have their second negative test some time shortly … If that (result) is negative, then they will be classified as recovered,” Dr Potter stated.

“The other two (patients) were tested negative twice because that is the protocol … We have the two results for each of the first two and I expect that the second test for the third person will be done.”

Comment

4th case: https://bvinews.com/another-person-i...-for-covid-19/

Comment

1st death recorded: http://www.virginislandsdailynews.co...534348d85.html

Comment

Curfew extended 6 days, home deliveries continue: https://www.bvibeacon.com/curfew-ext...ries-continue/

Comment

5th cases confirmed: https://bvinews.com/bvi-records-its-...e-of-covid-19/

Comment

Working...
                              X