Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North West Territories officials won't vaccinate some diamond miners against swine flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North West Territories officials won't vaccinate some diamond miners against swine flu

DIAMONDS AND GEMS

UNION--?EVERYONE IS AT RISK'
    North West Territories officials won't vaccinate some diamond miners against swine flu

Miners--who work in close quarters and live on mine sites for several weeks--could be more vulnerable to the swine flu, Canadian unions say. However, the NWT won't vaccinate non-residents.

Author: Dorothy Kosich
    Posted: Monday , 09 Nov 2009

RENO, NV - As H1N1 or "swine" flu spreads around the globe, infecting everyone from the lowest paid worker to the head of the world's largest mining company, BHP Billiton, miners from Australia to Mexico to Canada are worried about its impact on their businesses.

BHP has since doubled the number of cleaning shifts at the head office, as executives who had to travel were issued the anti-viral drug Tamiflu.

In May a number of Vancouver mining firms shut down production for five days at their Mexican mining operations in compliance with a Mexican presidential decree to shut down all non-essential activities to combat the spread of the virus.

The latest development in the battle against swine flu involves the decision of the Government of the Northwest Territories not to offer the H1N1 vaccine to so-called fly-in workers at the three diamond mines in the region.

These fly-in mine employees, who reside in other parts of Canada but fly up to work in the mines for rotations lasting several weeks at a time, are being urged to get vaccinated in their home communities. Meanwhile active flu cases have been identified in 26 of the 33 NWT communities, according to the provincial government.

The NWT's H1N1 vaccination campaign commenced on October 26<SUP>th</SUP>.
    In an interview with CBC News, Steve Walsh, president of the union representing workers at BHP's EkatI diamond mine, called the policy "almost discriminatory. ...Frankly if you're only going to inoculate half the population of the mine, you're still having a breeding ground for the first of it."

However, Deputy Health Minister Paddy Meade told CBC, "They have been given the dosage they need for NWT residents at the three mines. These miners that are from other jurisdictions clearly can get vaccinated in their home jurisdictions."

Walsh said mine workers live in close quarters, and everyone is at risk when they meet in gathering areas at the mines, such as cafeterias and recreation rooms.

If necessary, Meade said, miners from outside the NWT might be offered the vaccine in the territory when the next round of flu vaccines start later this year.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X