X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sri Lanka: H1N1 2011: at least 29 fatalities including 5 pregnant women

More: http://www.colombopage.com/archive_1...89314048KA.php

A second wave of Influenza A/H1N1 in Sri Lanka
    Tue, Nov 9, 2010, 08:17 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Nov 09, Colombo: The Epidemiology Unit of the Sri Lanka Health Ministry says that 35 patients infected with Influenza A/H1N1 have been identified in the island.

Of these patients, 23 have been identified from the country's most developed and most crowded district Colombo.

Investigations conducted into the first few patients has shown that none of them had any travel history confirming that there is an ongoing community transmission of the pandemic virus in the country.

Re: A second wave of Influenza A/H1N1 in Sri Lanka

Health authority warns influenza outbreak
    [TamilNet, Wednesday, 01 December 2010, 09:35 GMT]
    Sri Lankan Health Ministry has taken steps to control outbreak of influenza A (H1N1) epidemic in the country. 133 patients had been detected from all parts of the island since October this year.

Five patients were detected in October and 35 in November so far. But no death due to A (H1N1) had been reported so far, health department sources said.

Meanwhile the health ministry has received 1.2 million vaccines for A (H1N1) from World health organization (WHO) as a donation and has been distributed to all government hospitals.

The Medical Research Institute (MRI) recently detected A H1N1 patients from all provinces.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Influenza A/H1N1 cases rising in Sri Lanka
      Tue, Dec 7, 2010, 09:19 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Dec 07, Colombo: Sri Lanka Ministry of Health warns that the Influenza A/H1N1 is rising again in the island.

The Ministry announced that 235 patients have been identified since September 20 this year. Within the past two weeks alone, 61 patients have been diagnosed, the Ministry said.

Four patients of AH1N1 have died in recent times.

continues at; http://www.colombopage.com/archive_1...91736962KA.php
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

There were four fatalities confirmed between Jan 1 and Mar 31 2010 at which point reports dried up. It's possible that these are the fatalities referred to in the above article.

Comment

Report from 12/12/2010 - Unusual in that the confirmed cases is less than in the Dec 7 report above, but the total number of fatalities is put at 8.

Eight die of swine flu
          By Carol Aloysius
          Predictions by health authorities that the second wave of pandemic influenza to hit Sri Lanka would be worse than the first which occurred last year, seem to be coming true.
          The cumulative number of confirmed cases as of yesterday was 232 ? a steep jump from just two cases recorded between September 22- Oct 10 when the second wave of this flu broke out in the country.
          Up to December 5 the cumulative number of cases was 209, which escalated over the past seven days by a further 22 new confirmed cases. The number of confirmed deaths so far is 8.
          ?The number is likely to go up- and up, as none of us is immune to this new virus. The weather hasn?t helped as there is so much of the ordinary flu also going around due to the rains. So we?re gearing for an epidemic although we are taking every possible precaution to avert one,? Dr Sudath Peiris, acting chief epidemiologist told The Nation.

continues at; http://www.nation.lk/2010/12/12/news3.htm

Comment

Re: A second wave of Influenza A/H1N1 in Sri Lanka - 8 fatalities reported

Latest MOH report Dec 14th; http://www.epid.gov.lk/h1n1.html
            277 cases, 67 in the past week.

81% below 40 years old.

52% women.

Details at link.
            Last edited by Ronan Kelly; December 18, 2010, 07:21 AM. Reason: link changed

Comment

Re: A second wave of Influenza A/H1N1 in Sri Lanka - 8 fatalities reported

Updated to Dec 17th;

308 cases, 18 fatalities reported. Demographic information in the report.

Link to latest report; http://www.epid.gov.lk/h1n1.html

As the reports are not archived, I will attach.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ronan Kelly; December 18, 2010, 07:26 AM. Reason: attached report

Comment

Re: A second wave of Influenza A/H1N1 in Sri Lanka -308 cases, 18 fatalities reported

Comment: 16 of the 18 fatalities have been recorded in the past 20 days.

Sri Lanka reports 18 deaths in last three months due to AH1N1
                Sat, Dec 18, 2010, 10:53 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

Dec 18, Colombo: The Epidemiology Unit of Sri Lanka Health Ministry says that 18 persons died within two months due to Influenza A/H1N1. Among the deceased were two pregnant women.

The Ministry says 308 Influenza A/H1N1 patients were diagnosed during the last 13-week period.

A senior medical officer of the Ministry of Health said the disease has the potential to develop into an epidemic in the country.

continues at; http://www.colombopage.com/archive_1...92692994KA.php

Comment

Re: A second wave of Influenza A/H1N1 in Sri Lanka -308 cases, 18 fatalities reported

The most recent WHO update http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=156874

mentions the Sri Lanka outbreak;

"In tropics of South and Southeast Asia, overall influenza activity remained low, except in Sri Lanka, where active circulation of H1N1 (2009) along with other influenza viruses, continues to be reported. The current influenza epidemic in Sri Lanka, which began during early October 2010, appears to have recently peaked during the first week of December 2010. To date, there have been no reports from Sri Lanka to suggest an unusual epidemiological or virological pattern of H1N1 (2009) virus infection as compared to last year."

One would presume that the statements are based on the official weekly epidemiological reports which graph as follows;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sricases.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	652736

Name:	Srifatalities.PNG
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	652737

The most recent Sri Lankan report http://www.epid.gov.lk/pdf/Swine%20F...Dec%202010.pdf issued Dec 17 contained partial data for the week Dec 13 - 19 counting an additional 31 cases and 5 fatalities. If someone's not really paying attention this could look at first glance like a reduction, but I see no evidence of WHO's assertion of a peak in the first week of December.

Comment

Source: http://www.asiantribune.com/node/51299

Sri Lanka kept on alert for Swine Flu
                    Wed, 2010-12-22 02:10 ? editor

* News

By Santhush Fernando in Colombo
                    Colombo, 22 December, (Asiantribune.com):

Sri Lanka's Ministry of Health issuing an alert yesterday (December 21) advised the public that expecting mothers, health officers, airport and port staff, armed forces and police personnel and patients with long term illnesses should vaccinate themselves with the AH1N1 (Swine Flu) vaccine as a precautionary measure to stop another outbreak of the deadly flu in the country.

In a statement issued the Health Ministry advised that the public should take precautionary measures such as washing hands regularly, discarding items such as tissues used for personal hygiene, staying away from large public gathering and places if suffering from fever and other flue symptoms.

Nearly 300 AH1N1 cases were reported this year and 18 deaths had occurred due the AH1N1 influenza...

Comment

Latest Sri Lanka update (12/22) completes reporting for the week ending Dec 19 adding 6 more cases and 2 fatalities.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Re: A second wave of Influenza A/H1N1 in Sri Lanka -314 cases, 20 fatalities reported

Tex @ RLFT
                        Sri Lanka does not issue ILI numbers. This report is the first indication that healthcare on the island is being stressed by the H1N1 outbreak.

Pregnant mother dies of A1H1N1 Friday, 24 December 2010 01:01
                        By Jude Samantha

A pregnant mother who had been under treatment for A1H1N1 (Swine flu) at the Angoda hospital died yesterday. The patient from Bowatta in Chilaw had obtained treatment at the Chilaw hospital for several days before she was transferred in critical condition to the Angoda Fever Hospital. Meanwhile, another elderly woman died of fever at the Chilaw hospital. Doctors suspect that she might have died of Swine flu but it was yet to be established.

A senior official of the Chilaw hospital said they were short of medical equipment for treatment of A1H1N1 patients.

Comment

Re: A second wave of Influenza A/H1N1 in Sri Lanka -314 cases, 20 fatalities confirmed, more reported; hospitals short on equipment

In spite of the fact that it is getting little or no press, the current outbreak in Sri Lanka is gaining in intensity. Sri Lanka has a population approximately one third that of the UK, but had nine confirmed fatalities this last week (the UK had 10). The most recent figures released once again disagree with the WHO's dismissive assessment that this outbreak has peaked.

Name:	Sricases.PNG
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	652759

Name:	Srifatalities.PNG
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	652760

Comment

Re: Sri Lanka: Significant H1N1 outbreak-342 cases, 22 fatalities

A/H1N1 influenza spreading to epidemic levels: ministry Saturday, 25 December 2010 00:00
                            By Sandun A. Jayasekera

The A/H1N1 influenza is spreading alarmingly and according to health ministry estimates there are more than 30,000 afflicted in the country though the figures given by Government Epidemiology Unit stands at 340 patients and 22 deaths, a health ministry source said yesterday.

‘The World Health Organization (WHO) announced in April last year that Sri Lanka has successfully controlled A/H1N1 after only one patient was detected that month. But the Health Ministry has observed that the influenza was spreading fast during the past few months. There were about five expectant mothers among the dead,” the source added.

The source said that the number of unreported cases of A/H1N1 and related deaths must be much higher than the official figures.

Comment

Re: Sri Lanka: H1N1 outbreak nears epidemic levels-est 30,000 cases, at least 22 fatalities including 5 pregnant women

Source: http://www.srilankannews.net/story.p...ll-on-the-rise

Swine flu death toll on the rise

Sri Lankan News.Net
                              Saturday 25th December, 2010 (Source: Ada Derana)

The number of deaths caused by the influenza AH1N1 virus has risen to 22 of which 9 were reported within the last week alone, the Sri Lanka Epidemiological Unit states.

The number of patients diagnosed with the virus has also increased to 342...

Source: http://www.colombopage.com/archive_1...93288612JR.php

* Influenza A/H1N1 cases increasing in Sri Lanka
                              Sat, Dec 25, 2010, 08:20 pm SL Time, ColomboPage News Desk, Sri Lanka.

...The highest number of patients has been reported from the Colombo District with 105 being infected. Among the other districts that have reported swine flu patients are Gampaha (23), Kandy (19), Galle (11) and Nuwara Eliya (10)...
                              Last edited by Shiloh; December 25, 2010, 10:46 AM. Reason: added second story

Comment

Working...
                              X