X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotels step up the fight against H1N1

Hotels step up the fight against H1N1

by Ong Dai Lin dailin@mediacorp.com.sg 05:55 AM Jun 29, 2009
    THE four Australian teenagers arrived in Singapore last Wednesday for a two-week holiday, staying at the Summer View Hotel at Bencoolen Street. But one of them came down with a cough.

Nineteen-year-old Ryan Peterson told Today: "We told the staff about it and they cleaned the whole room. My friend has been resting in the hotel room but so far she's feeling well."

"We are not too worried about (Influenza A) H1N1 and don't really take special precautions. But we do make sure that we don't eat at or go anywhere that is not clean," he added.

While most tourists whom Today spoke to said they had not been taking extra health precautions, hotels in Singapore have been gearing up their cleaning procedures to fend off the H1N1 virus.

At Swiss?tel The Stamford, where cases of H1N1 have been discovered among some Asian Youth Games' participants, thermal scanners have been installed at the entrances of the private dining areas designated for the athletes.

A Swiss?tel spokeswoman said: "All our hotel staff are advised to practise good personal hygiene and are advised not to report to work if they are unwell. Housekeeping staff take their temperature two times a day, and wear masks, disposable gowns and gloves when cleaning rooms occupied by the athletes."

If a hotel guest is infected with H1N1, the person's room will be sanitised and areas that the person has visited will be disinfected thoroughly, she said.

Over at Ritz-Carlton Millenia, common "touch" points like handrails, elevator buttons and telephones are cleaned more frequently, said general manager Peter Mainguy.

Hotel staff have also been briefed on hand-washing techniques, as well as cough and sneeze etiquette, he added.

A 60-year-old cleaner at Marriott Hotel, who did not want to be named, said: "My supervisor told us to clean the toilets more frequently. I used to clean the toilets four times daily. Now it's about seven
Working...
X