Pakistan: Deadly heat wave - 1,400 deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistan: Deadly heat wave - 1,400 deaths

Deadly heatwave shows no signs of easing as death toll climbs to 237 in Karachi

By Sameer Mandhro Published: June 22, 2015

KARACHI: As a deadly heatwave continues to sweep Karachi and other parts of Sindh, the death toll has risen to over 237 in just two days.

With temperatures as high as 42 degrees Celsius on Sunday, Karachi saw hundreds of deaths in the space of just 48 hours. The severe heat wave has also left dozens hospitalised for heat exhaustion and heatstroke, crippling routine life and work in the country?s financial hub.

Hospitals are reported to be overcrowded and all hospitals have declared a state of emergency across all wards. Dozens who were brought to private and public hospitals complained of dehydration and low blood pressure.

The hospital management at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) confirmed that 55 people had died with heat related symptoms, of which 20 persons died during treatment.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Karachi heatwave death toll passes 250

By Web Desk
    June 22, 2015 13:01

KARACHI: The death toll during the ongoing heatwave in Karachi has soared to 250 as unprecedented intense summer continued to torment the metropolis and other cities of Sindh, ARY News reported Monday.
    A devastating heatwave gripping Sindh for several days has taken a toll of over 250 people.
    Majority of the heatstroke patients were pronounced dead at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC).
    According to hospital sources, around 100 patients of heatstroke pronounced dead in Jinnah Hospital. More than 200 heat patients were still admitted at the hospital, sources said.
    The doctors said that the people who had suffered heatstroke were either brought dead or died at JPMC. In Abbasi Shaheed hospital 31 people died, while nine died at Lyari General Hospital and six at the Civil Hospital Karachi (CHK).
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Cruel summer: 425 dead and counting

By Sameer Mandhro / Sehrish Wasif / Creative: NABEEL KHANPublished: June 23, 2015

ISLAMABAD / KARACHI:
      The death toll from the intense heat wave sweeping across Karachi and other parts of southern Pakistan has climbed to 425 over the course of 72 hours, snowballing into a major health crisis in the country.

Droves of people continued to suffer from the effects of sunstroke and other heat-related complications brought about by the sweltering temperatures.

The premier has taken notice of the rising number of deaths and issued orders for tackling the situation, while the Sindh government elicited help from the army and the paramilitary Rangers to deal with it.

Comment

UPDATED: Karachi heatwave death toll rises to 531, city sizzles at 39 degrees

By Raza Haidery
        June 23, 2015 14:20

KARACHI: The death toll during the ongoing heatwave in Karachi has soared to 531 as unprecedented intense summer continued to torment the metropolis and other cities of Sindh, ARY News reported Tuesday.
        Majority of the heatstroke patients were pronounced dead at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC).
        Jinnah Hospital, Abbasi Shaheed Hospital and Civil Hospital have refused to admit patients due to lack of beds and facilities. The morgues in the city have also run out of space.
        According to hospital sources, more than 100 patients of heatstroke pronounced dead in Jinnah Hospital alone. More than 100 heat patients were still admitted at the hospital, sources said.

Comment

Pakistan heat wave: Death toll passes 700 in Karachi, Sindh Province
          By Sophia Saifi and Euan McKirdy, CNN
          Updated 5:49 AM ET, Wed June 24, 2015
          Such is the state of affairs in the beleaguered seaport city of Karachi. A record-breaking heat wave has killed 748 in Sindh province, where Karachi is located. Authorities fear the toll will only rise.

The Rangers, Pakistan's paramilitary force, has set up 10 relief centers across the city, distributing water and salt tablets. But even that has proven inadequate.

Over the past four days, between 7,000 and 8,000 people have been treated in that hospital alone, the majority suffering from heat stroke, said Seemi Jamali, a senior official at the medical center.
          The death toll soared to 838 in Pakistan’s heat wave after authorities began counting deaths in the province surrounding Karachi, officials said.

Pakistan heat wave death toll surpasses 850
          By ZABIHULLAH MOOSAKHAIL - Wed Jun 24 2015, 2:09 pm

PakistanThe deadly heat wave is embracing Sindh province of Pakistan for the consecutive fourth day with the death toll surpassing 850. Government has been issuing warnings for people to stay indoor and reach out to nearby government established heatstroke centers for treatment if fallen ill due to the weather.
          As of Wednesday afternoon at least 850 deaths were recorded across the Sindh province due to the sunstroke. 337 people ? including children and elderly aged people ? died and on Tuesday alone.

Comment

Criticism of Pakistani Government Intensifies as Heat-Wave Death Toll Tops 1,000
            Rishi Iyengar @OfficeOfRI 2:02 AM ET Updated: 3:32 AM ET

Most of the deaths have occurred among the elderly and poor people without access to air-conditioning

The Pakistan government continued to face the nation?s ire Wednesday over what critics call its inadequate preparation for and response to a devastating heat wave sweeping the southern Sindh province.

Opposition lawmakers slammed Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif?s ruling party in Parliament over the repeated power cuts and water shortages that have considerably worsened the crisis, Pakistan?s Dawn newspaper reported. Many accused the government of ?inaction? in the face of hundreds of deaths in the provincial capital, Karachi ? the country?s largest city ? and its surrounding areas.

Pakistan heat wave death toll jumps to 1200
            June 24, 2015 18:13 IST

Over 1,200 people have died in Pakistan's Sindh province because of a heat wave described as the worst in decades, as major hospitals in Karachi struggled to cope with the unprecedented influx of patients seeking treatment for heatstroke-related illness.

The death toll in worst-hit Karachi, Sindh's provincial capital, has reached 1,000, with more than 200 people reported dead in other parts of the province.

Anwar Kazmi of Edhi Foundation, which runs the largest ambulance service in the region, told PTI that the death toll in Karachi, a metropolis of over 18 million people, has reached 1,000. "At least 1,000 have been killed in Karachi alone. I do not have the data of rest of Sindh province but there are reports of deaths," he said.
            Over 1,200 people have died in Pakistan's Sindh province because of a heat wave described as the worst in decades, as major hospitals in Karachi struggled to cope with the unprecedented influx of patients seeking treatment for heatstroke-related illness.

Comment

Karachi death toll surges to 1,050 as 100 more die

No end to power breakdowns, water shortage

M. Waqar Bhatti
              Friday, June 26, 2015
              From Print Edition

Karachi death toll surges to 1,050 as 100 more die
              KARACHI: Despite a drop of at least 10 degrees Celsius in daytime temperature in Karachi and the restoration of the cool sea breeze on Thursday, at least 100 more patients suffering from heatstroke, dehydration and diarrhoea died at various public and private hospitals while thousands were still undergoing treatment at hospital wards and heatstroke camps in the city.

The death toll in the last six days surpassed the 1,050 figure on Thursday but the city continued to face an unannounced loadshedding, power breakdowns and water shortages, forcing the people to take to the streets to protest against the government and public utilities.Both public and private hospitals witnessed a large number of diarrhea and gastroenteritis patients.

Hospital officials and doctors feared a breakout of water-borne diseases, urging people to use boiled water if possible or resort to other conventional and modern methods of water purification for drinking purposes.
              KARACHI: Despite a drop of at least 10 degrees Celsius in daytime temperature in Karachi and the restoration of the cool sea breeze on Thursday, at least 100 more patients suffering from heatstroke,...

Comment

Karachi heat wave death toll rises to 1,320

Jun 26, 2015 18:30 pm

Edhi
                KARACHI (92 News) ? The Karachi heat wave death toll has risen to 1,320.

Comment

Death toll from Pakistan's weeklong heat wave hits 1,233

Munir Ahmed, The Associated Press
                  Published Saturday, June 27, 2015 11:35AM EDT
                  ISLAMABAD -- A devastating weeklong heat wave in Pakistan's southern port city of Karachi killed 1,233 people, an official said.
                  Nazar Mohammad Bozdar, operations director at the Provincial Disaster Management Authority, said about 65,000 heatstroke patients were treated by doctors at all of Karachi's hospitals since June 20 when the heat wave struck Sindh province, where Karachi is the provincial capital.
                  He told The Associated Press that 1,923 patients with heat-related ailments were still being treated.
                  A devastating weeklong heat wave in Pakistan's southern port city of Karachi killed 1,233 people, an official said.

Comment

KARACHI, June 28, 2015
                    Updated: June 28, 2015 19:16 IST
                    Pakistan heat wave claims 26 more, toll nears 1,300

PTI

Life, healthcare crippled; weather experts forecast the high temperatures in the past week, are likely to soar again in Karachi

Twenty six people died on Sunday of high temperatures in Pakistan?s Karachi, taking the death toll to around 1,300 as residents grappled with the week-long heat wave that has crippled life and overwhelmed the healthcare system.
                    35% of dead women
                    Sindh Health Minister Jam Mahtab confirmed that out of the nearly 1,300 people killed in the Sindh province due to the heat wave, about 35 per cent were women.

Mr. Mahtab said around 25 per cent of those who died were the homeless, some were drug addicts and lived on the streets.
                    Unclaimed bodies buried
                    ?Since the last three days, mass burials of around 200 unclaimed bodies have been carried out and these are mostly homeless people,?Mr. Mahtab said.

According to Sindh health department statistics, a total of 1,206 people have died in Karachi alone due to the heat wave since June 20.
                    Life, healthcare crippled; weather experts forecast the high temperatures in the past week, are likely to soar again in Karachi

Comment: Over 200 deaths were reported from other areas in Sindh on June 26. Added to the confirmed 1,206 deaths in Karachi, the toll now exceeds 1,400. - Ro

Comment

23 more heatwave deaths reported in city

M. Waqar Bhatti
                      Wednesday, July 01, 2015
                      From Print Edition

Karachi

Despite a considerable drop in the city?s weather, health authorities in Karachi reported at least 23 more deaths due to heat stroke at different hospitals, raising the heatwave death toll to 1,256 in Karachi and 1,266 in Sindh, on Tuesday.

To add to the woes of the patients, a PMT installed outside the Qatar Hospital caught fire resulting in electricity shut down at the facility, currently providing treatment to a large number of heat stroke victims.

According to Sindh Health Department Director General Hassan Murad Shah, deaths reported during the day were of patients who had suffered heat stroke, dehydration, diarrhoea and related illnesses during the heat wave.
                      Karachi Despite a considerable drop in the city’s weather, health authorities in Karachi reported at least 23 more deaths due to heat stroke at different hospitals, raising the heatwave death...

Comment

Working...
                      X