Pakistan Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (Naegleria) 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistan Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (Naegleria) 2014

From Week 22 Epidemiological report http://www.emro.who.int/images/stori...62014.pdf?ua=1

Naegleria Meningitis
    DEWS team was informed about death due to Primary amebic
    meningoencephalitis (PAM) reported from a private hospital.
    The team visited the family of deceased. History revealed that
    the patient had severe headache and Vomiting, he was treated
    from nearby GP with different medicines but condition was still
    detoriated and admitted to AKU but did not survive and died on
    24th May. The Karachi Water and Sewerage Board (KWSB) have
    been requested to chlorinate all major reservoirs. A joint committee
    of health department officials, KWSB and Karachi Municipal
    Corporation (KMC) officials has been set up which will monitor
    water chlorination and take water samples on daily basis
    from different towns and share reports with all the stakeholders.
    Moreover, utilization of print and electronic media to create
    awareness among people to prevent Naegleria infection is
    planned.

Previous FluTrackers threads:
    Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis Caused by Naegleria fowleri, Karachi, Pakistan (13 cases - washing with tap water suspected as cause)
    Pakistan 2012: Naegleria kills 10
    Pakistan primary amoebic meningoencephalitis 2013 - 3 fatalities
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Pakistan Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (Naegleria) 2014

Naegleria?s spread out of Karachi worries health dept
    By The Newspaper's Staff Reporter
    Updated about 3 hours ago

KARACHI: As the authorities have finally confirmed two more deaths caused by the deadly ?brain-eating amoeba? or naegleria fowleri, one each belonging to Karachi and Hyderabad, what is more worrisome for them is the evidence of the amoeba?s presence outside Karachi where chlorination level in water is much more pathetic, it emerged on Friday.

Chlorination is considered to be the only cure against the spread of the deadly disease, which has so far claimed a total of five lives.

Irfan, a young resident of Gulberg, had died at a private hospital on June 1. The authorities have confirmed that the death was caused by naegleria. Similarly, Shakeel Ahmed of Damin-i-Kohisar Society of Hyderabad had been shifted to Karachi early this month where he died last weekend.
    Out of a total of five naegleria caused deaths, four have been reported from Karachi with two from Gulistan-i-Jauhar alone.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Probe to confirm another ?naegleria death?
      By Hasan Mansoor
      Published about 10 hours ago

KARACHI: The health authorities in the city are investigating at least one more death believed to be caused by the deadly ?brain-eating amoeba?, or naegleria fowleri, that has already claimed four lives in Karachi and another in Hyderabad, officials said on Sunday.

?We have got reports of a death in Karachi, which we suspect is caused by the deadly naegleria,? said an official in the provincial health department wishing not to be named.

?The victim died reportedly because of meningitis, but all symptoms regarding his death give strong indications that he died because of naegleria,? the official added.
      KARACHI: The health authorities in the city are investigating at least one more death believed to be caused by the...

Comment

Source: http://www.dawn.com/news/1125156/nae...ictim-in-sindh

Naegleria claims its seventh victim in Sindh
        By The Newspaper's Staff Reporter
        Published about an hour ago

KARACHI: A 29-year-old man from Karachi?s Rafa-i-Aam Society was confirmed as the latest victim of the ?brain-eating amoeba?, or Naegleria fowleri, as the toll because of the deadly virus reached seven within three months in Sindh, officials said on Wednesday.

Officials said Adil Najam had been admitted to hospital in a precarious condition where he died on Wednesday.

Officials said the man worked as an assistant at a petrol station along Hub River Road and was an honorary imam in an area mosque...

Comment

Death toll rises: Naegleria claims another victim
          By Our CorrespondentPublished: October 10, 2014

KARACHI: Naegleria Fowleri took another life in the city on Thursday, taking the death toll to 13. According to senior health director Zafar Ejaz, 25-year-old Humera, was taken to Aga Khan Hospital with acute fever. He confirmed that she died of the brain-eating amoeba during treatment.

Comment

Working...
          X