X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​Maldives Influenza 2017

Maldives closes schools as swine flu spreads
    about 7 hours ago
    Hours after authorities urged public against panic, health officials have advised the education ministry to close all public schools as swine flu spreads across the archipelago.

During a joint emergency press conference, privately run ADK hospital representative in the task force Dr Abdulla Niyaf said 51 people had tested positive for the H1N1 virus thus far. The figure is almost the double the 27 revealed by the task force during a press conference earlier Monday.
    More alarmingly, Niyaf also revealed a 26 year old man who died on March 4 had tested positive for the flu, while a pregnant woman remains in critical condition.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Maldivian child tested negative for swine flu, says Asiri Hospitals
    Asiri Hospitals has confirmed that the 10-year-old Maldivian child that died of influenza did not have a subtype that would cause swine flu.
    The hospital said that the child was in critical condition when brought in and was immediately given treatment at the hospital?s intensive care unit.

K. Male' | Shan Anees | 14-March-2017 | Tuesday 13:05

Comment: At this stage making a distinction between seasonal influenza and "swine flu" is just silly. The term "swine flu" still causes public anxiety in parts of the world where seasonal influenza is often trivialized. This would be a good opportunity for the health agency in the Maldives to educate about seasonal influenza and release any figures for seasonal cases and fatalities that they may have. - Ro
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Schools closed after H1N1 cases reach 51, fatality identified

March 14 13:17 2017
      by Ahmed Naish
      All public schools in the Maldives have been closed to prevent the spread of the H1N1 swine flu virus after the number of cases reached 51 and a fatality was identified.
      Less than 12 hours after insisting that the situation does not warrant closing schools, health officials told the press late on Monday night that the number of confirmed H1N1 cases has increased from 27 in the morning to 51 after more samples were tested.

Samples from 251 influenza patients have been tested as of Monday.

Upon reviewing the 51 confirmed cases, the authorities found that a sample from a 27-year-old man who died on March 4 had also tested positive.

?Additionally, there are 70 samples in the testing process today. Looking at our rate, when 51 out of 251 cases tested positive for H1N1 it means about 20 percent. So we believe we will find more cases in these 70 samples,? Dr Abdulla Niyaf said at last night?s press conference.

The national health alert has been raised to level three based on the ?rapid increase of cases? nationwide since February, the discovery of severe disease among high-risk patient groups, and the death of one flu patient.
      The swine flu scare comes amidst a seasonal spike in respiratory infections and influenza. Last week, the health ministry cautioned that the contagious common cold and viral fever have been rapidly spreading across the Maldives.

About 3,000 cases of flu from the atolls and 2,000 cases from Mal? have been reported in a week, according to the HPA, compared to about 4,000 cases a week nationwide in previous years.

Comment

Maldives calls to halt travel over swine flu epidemic
        POSTED BY: FATHIMATH SHAAHUNAAZMARCH 15, 2017

Health Protection Agency (HPA) urged late Tuesday to refrain from travelling unless absolutely necessary and to cancel activities involving large gatherings due to the spread of swine flu in the Maldives.

In a statement, the agency called for everyone?s cooperation in controlling and combating the current flu epidemic. Noting that all schools have been closed over this issue and that the following week is the mid-semester break for all students, HPA also advised to cancel all events and sports activities until further notice.
        In a move to curb the epidemic, flu clinics have been opened in hospitals including Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH) and ADK Hospital to provide quick consultations and tests. However, with the increasing numbers of patients, hospitals have admitted to troubles in meeting demand.

Comment

Maldives records sudden rise in H1N1 patients

Source: Xinhua 2017-03-15 19:16:41

MALDIVES, March 15 (Xinhua) -- At least 51 people have been confirmed with the H1N1 Influenza virus in the Maldives within the past few weeks with one patient dying due to the flu, local media reports said on Wednesday.

The state owned Indhira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH) has seen a rise in the number of flu patients within the past five days, prompting the state to open up a separate flu clinic inside a school.

On Tuesday alone 473 people were treated with flu symptoms while 1,098 have been treated over the past four days.
          At least 51 people have been confirmed with the H1NI Influenza virus in the Maldives within the past few weeks with one patient dying due to the flu, local media reports said on Wednesday.
          "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
          -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Woman dies of swine flu
            2017-03-16 10:37:51

A group of people waiting outside the entrance of Indhira Gandhi Memorail Hospital. -- VPhoto: Abdulla Sham

A 51-year-old woman from F. Nilandhoo has died of swine flu on Wednesday night.

The woman, Fathimath Ismail of Buruneege, reportedly died while receiving treatment at Indhira Gandhi Memorial Hospital in Male?.

An employee of Nilandhoo Council said when the woman went to the island hospital with a very high fever, doctors advised that she be transferred to Male? for further treatment.

A family member said Fathimath was not in a state to walk without someone?s help after she became ill.

This is the second person to die of swine flu.

Comment

Third death in swine flu epidemic

POSTED BY: FATHIMATH SHAAHUNAAZ MARCH 20, 2017

Health Protection Agency (HPA) has announced a third death caused by the swine flu epidemic currently spreading across the Maldives.

The agency revealed that it was a male who passed away in an undisclosed island. HPA did not reveal further information, including the date of his death.

Bangladesh expat dies of swine flu

Amid the rapid spread of the H1N1 virus, a Bangladeshi expatriate worker died of the swine flu on Sunday at the state-run Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH).

Maldives authorities have been battling to keep the outbreak of H1N1 in check with over 400 people tested as of Sunday while 147 had tested positive for the virus.
              IGMH spokesperson said the expat had died on Sunday after he was brought in from Kulhudhuffushi island.

Comment

Number of patients infected with H1N1 in Maldives rises to 176

MALDIVES, March 24 (Xinhua) -- The number of people tested positive for the H1N1 influenza virus in the Maldives has risen to 176, statistics released by the Health Protection Agency showed here Friday.
                Seven more people tested positive with the virus on Thursday with 23 patients in total being hospitalized with H1N1 to date.
                At least two patients have died from the virus with the Health Ministry putting in place strict measures to control the disease.
                However the Health Ministry on Friday ..

Comment

Fourth death as over 180 people test positive for swine flu

POSTED BY: FATHIMATH SHAAHUNAAZ MARCH 25, 2017

A fourth person has passed away of swine flu while the number of people testing positive for the H1N1 virus increased again, announced the Health Protection Agency (HPA) on Saturday.

According to HPA?s statistics, total 501 people have tested for swine flu out of which 185 tested positive as of Friday. Four people have died from the disease while the number of people hospitalised has spiked to 31.

Comment

Pregnant woman dies of swine flu

POSTED BY: FATHIMATH SHAAHUNAAZ MARCH 26, 2017

A pregnant woman passed away from swine flu early Sunday, marking the sixth death in the epidemic currently spreading across the Maldives.

State run Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH) stated that the woman, aged 29, had been receiving treatment at the hospital since March 5 but did not disclose further details.
                    http://en.mihaaru.com/pregnant-woman...medium=twitter

Comment

Maldives closes schools again for this week

The Maldives government on Monday decided to close the schools again for this week amidst the swine flu epidemic in the nation.
                      In a press conference at the President?s Office, Minister of Defence Adam Shareef announced that President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom decided to close schools for the next three days deferring to the wishes of the public.
                      However, the defence minister stated that only certain schools will be closed based on necessity with regards to the flu situation.
                      The press conference was held jointly with the ministers of Health and Education.
                      Health Minister Abdulla Nazim said that the viral flu epidemic, including the spread of swine flu, is slowly improving and that they expect normal conditions to resume in a short while.
                      Meanwhile, Education Minister Dr Aishath Shiham reiterated that the schools were reopened last Sunday based on the statistics of the Health Protection Agency (HPA) and that the government decided to close them again after deeming it necessary. She assured that students will be able to receive their missed lessons.
                      Despite reopening the schools on Sunday and Monday, the majority of parents did not send their children to school. Teachers and officials of the education sector have reported that most of the classes were empty and that, in some schools, less than twenty percent of the student populations had turned up. Fewer students were reported to have attended school on Monday than the previous day.
                      According to HPA?s latest report, total 501 people suspected of having the H1N1 virus were tested since last January out of which 185 tested positive for swine flu. To date, five people have died of the disease.

Comment

Death toll rises to six as nearly 200 test positive for swine flu

POSTED BY: FATHIMATH SHAAHUNAAZ MARCH 27, 2017

An elderly man has passed away from swine flu, marking the sixth death in the epidemic spreading across the Maldives.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) disclosed that the man aged 80 passed away last Thursday though they found he had been infected by the H1N1 virus only on Monday. The agency did not provide further details.

According to the statistics published by HPA on Monday, total 546 people have tested for the H1N1 virus out of which 199 people tested positive for swine flu.

Comment

Working...
                        X