• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangladesh - Cold deaths

Cold claims lives of 10 in 3 N-districts

Reported by: UNBconnect
    Reported on: December 25, 2012 21:56 PM
    Reported in: National
    Dhaka, Dec 25 (UNB) ? Extreme cold claimed the lives of 10 people in Joypurhat, Panchagarh and Kurigram districts in the last five days ending Tuesday morning.

In Joypurhat, two children died of cold-related diseases on Tuesday.

Local sources said, an unidentified child, aged about 2 year, died of pneumonia at their house at Shantinagar in Joypurhat municipal area early in the morning while an unidentified infant died from diarrhea at their Gupinathpur village home in Akkelpur upazila in the morning.

The mercury dipped sharply with the lowest temperatures plunging to around 9.7 degrees Celsius in the morning.

In Panchagarh, crippling cold claimed the lives of five people in Tentulia and Doda upazilas in the last five days since a mild cold wave hit the northern-most district last week.

Panchagarh Sadar Modern Hospital sources said, the hospital has been packed with patients attacked by various cold-related diseases- pneumonia, cough, asthma and diarrhea. The number of new arrivals is increasing day by day since the cold wave began about a week ago, they said.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Bangladesh - Cold deaths

DREF operation n? MDRBD012
    GLIDE n? CW-2013-000001-BGD
    4 January 2012

Summary: A cold wave has strucked the northern
    districts of the sub-Himalayan regions of
    Bangladesh claiming more than 72 lives as per
    the assessment data of BDRCS and local
    administration, mostly children due to
    hypothermia.
    According to the Disaster
    Management Information Centre on 26 December
    2012, around 22 districts have been affected by
    the cold wave, notably the districts of
    Panchagarh, Thakurgaon, Dinajpur, Nilphamary,
    Lalmonirhat, Rangpur, Kurigram, Gaibandha,
    Bogra, Joypurhat, Naogaon, Nawabganj,
    Rajshahi, Natore, Sirajganj, Pabna, Mymensing in
    the north, Moulvibazar in the east and certain
    districts in the south, namely Kushtia, Jessore,
    Faridpur and Madaripur. According to the BDRCS
    concerned units, people living in open and public
    spaces like bus and railway stations, and daily
    labourers and slum dwellers are most vulnerable
    to cold wave as they cannot afford warm clothes.
    As per the reports received from various units,
    more than 50 per cent of population in the district
    is affected by the cold wave.
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

11 Jan 2013 05:12:01 AM Friday BdST

Cold claims 7 lives in Nilphamari
      District Correspondent
      banglanews24.com
      NILPHAMARI: At least seven people died of cold related diseases in the district.
      The deceased are----

Sources said they died of cold related diseases from Wednesday night till early Thursday.
      Meanwhile, the death toll in cold related diseases increased to 13 in the past three days in district.

Comment

'Lowest temperaure in Bangladesh's history' brings at least 80 deaths

DAWN.com
        Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:21 CST
        A cold snap which saw temperatures drop to 40-year lows in Bangladesh has killed around 80 people, officials said.

According to AFP, Shah Alam, the deputy head of the weather office, said the lowest temperature was recorded at 3 degrees Celsius in the northern town of Syedpur.

He said the last time the temperature dropped below that level was in February 1968 when Bangladesh was still part of Pakistan.

Comment

Bangladesh under cold spell, over 100 people dead

January 12, 2013: The coldest winter snap in 40 years in Bangladesh has claimed over 100 lives with 50 deaths in the past week attributed to the unusual drop in temperature, authorities said.
          The death toll is expected to rise further, especially in northwestern areas, where thousands of people remain hospitalized with illnesses including asthma and pneumonia.
          Dr Lokman Hakim in Kurigram, one of the coldest areas in recent days, said that hospitals have suspended time off for doctors and nurses in a bid to deal with the large influx of people.

Comment

Working...
          X