Outbreak of meningitis/encephalitis in Sri Lanka hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outbreak of meningitis/encephalitis in Sri Lanka hospital

So you think we have this mystery virus circulating worldwide and it is going to kill us all?

Comment

That's a bit extreme. I don't know what's producing these outbreaks. Very few of them can be confirmed as spreading person-to-person. This could be a pathogen that is common in animals or is waterborne or mosquito or tick-borne. That would explain the sporadic nature of these outbreaks. They don't all seem to have the same CFR either. Malacca was one fatality in over 100 cases. Vavuniya seems to be over 50%. I'm not sure what's going on here, but it definitely bears closer watching (and maybe more intervention on the part of the WHO and other related authorities). I know the WHO has been working on the outbreaks in Neno/Tsangano, as well as the one in Mukumbi.

Comment

I'm wondering if I shouldn't make a separate thread for all these cases/clusters to bring all the information in one place.

Comment

Duplicate

Comment

Your post #19 is a duplicate of my post #3.

Comment

From a UN press briefing. The death counts given include all causes, including hepatitis, dengue, diarrhea, but also the meningitis and encephalitis. It is tough to tell if the meningitis and encephalits is caused by the unhygenic conditions, or is some unusual pathogen such as Nipah is present in the camp.

Question: Just one more on that. I wanted to know, there was a report in the Times of London saying that, in the camps in Vavuniya, up to 1,400 people have died, and the AP has also reported that the conditions are very dire in terms of health. What?s the UN, if they?re closely monitoring, are they monitoring both the health and the level of deaths inside these camps?

Associate Spokesperson: Well, that of course depends on the level of access we have. We don?t have necessarily the most precise information about things like death tolls. At the same time, we do have tremendous concerns about the humanitarian conditions in the camps, and that was in fact one of the topics that the Secretary-General raised with the Sri Lankan President last week.

Comment

This article would seem to indicate that JE is suspect, if not confirmed. The presence of dengue indicates a mosquito problem, and that would certainly cause JE as well. But the reported fatality rate is very high, although that could be from other illnesses and malnutrition. I'm still up in the air on this one. The epidemiology would be a giveaway, as would laboratory tests, but in those conditions, neither is likely forthcoming.

Dengue detected among IDPs in Vavuniyaa
                [TamilNet, Wednesday, 22 July 2009, 10:09 GMT]
                For the first time seven persons were admitted to Vavuniyaa general hospital Tuesday on a single day suffering from Dengue fever, according to hospital sources. Six of the thirteen patients admitted to Vavuniyaa Hospital on that day had also been detected suffering from Japanese Encephalitis. The dengue patients are said to be inmates from Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camps located in Vavuniyaa. These IDP camps where hundreds of thousands of Vanni displaced persons are held are described as internment camps by human rights organizations and activists.

Following the detection of dengue patients, steps have been taken by Vavuniyaa hospital authorities to conduct blood checks on all patients seeking treatment with a history of fever.

Meanwhile, civil sources in Vavuniyaa complain that health authorities in Vavuniyaa have failed to adopt proper measures to contain the spread of dengue in IDP camps and elsewhere in the district.

Comment

Working...
                X