• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistan - Doctors on strike

Govt remains unmoved as doctors continue strike

Wednesday, August 05, 2009
    Bureau report

PESHAWAR: Doctors continued their strike in the four tertiary care hospitals of the province Tuesday, leaving the patients to suffer but inviting no attention from the government.

The trainee medical officers (TMOs) and house officers of Khyber Teaching Hospital, Lady Reading Hospital, Hayatabad Medical Complex and Ayub Medical Complex Abottabad have been on strike for the past week to demand raise in their stipends.

As usual, the protesting doctors observed a two-hour daily strike and did not attend patients in wards and OPDs of the respective health institutions. They threatened to extend their strike to rest of the province if their demands were not met by Wednesday.

The doctors have been on strike on the call of Provincial Doctors Association (PDA). The PDA general secretary, Dr Shah Sawar, said he had been under tremendous pressure from his fellow doctors asking him to announce a complete strike in the whole province as the government had turned a deaf year to their demands, which he said were genuine.

?I have been urging my fellow colleagues to wait with the hope that the government will invite us for talks as I do not want our strike to cause sufferings to the poor patients,? explained the PDA official.

He said if the doctors? demands were not met within two more days, they would give a call for complete strike at the Ayub Teaching Hospital and would then extend the protest to the rest of the hospitals.

The News International - latest news and breaking news about Pakistan, world, sports, cricket, business, entertainment, weather, education, lifestyle; opinion & blog | brings 24 x 7 updates
Working...
X