• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burma: Skin Disease Affects IDPs in Karenni State

Source: https://www.bnionline.net/en/news/sk...-karenni-state

Skin Disease Affects IDPs in Karenni State
    Thursday, July 08, 2021
    Kantarawaddy Tim

A strange skin illness has affected some villagers living in internally displaced persons (IDPs) camps in Karenni State.

“Lumps appeared on my body a week after I gave birth to my baby. At first, they were on my legs but they spread to the whole body and became itchy,” a mother told Kantarawaddy Times.

Although they have disappeared, her body has swollen but the doctor can’t explain why. Additionally, she cannot produce enough breast milk to feed her baby. Currently, the woman receives four injections each day but has to borrow the money since she can not afford it.

The skin disease is also affecting the elderly and children. IDPs worry it is contagious and will spread to the rest of the community.

A person also affected by the lumps said they disappeared after taking medicine and applying ointment but would reappear on another part of their body. “I took all of the medicine the clinic gave me.” The IDP explained that after two weeks the skin disease made them feel numb...
Working...
X