X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkling beetles source of pathogens in broilers

Darkling beetles source of pathogens in broilers
    27 Nov 2008

A study suggests that darkling beetles and their larvae can transmit Salmonella and Campylobacter pathogens to broiler chickens in successive rearing cycles in the broiler house.
    Broiler flocks often become infected with Campylobacter and Salmonella, two main sources of human foodborne disease. The exact routes of contamination, however, are reportedly still not fully understood. This study conducted by researchers from Wageningen University, Wageningen, and Research Centre, Lelystad, the Netherlands, looked at the role that darkling beetles and their larvae may play in transfering pathogens between consecutive cycles.

The darkling beetle (Alphitobius diaperinus) and its larvae are known to inhabit broiler houses and are believed to survive between rearing cycles by eating their way into insulation materials and hiding under floors.

In the study researchers artificially contaminated several groups of beetles and their larvae with a mixture of Salmonella enterica Serovar Paratyphi B Variant Java and three Campylobacter jejuni strains. These were then fed to housed broiler chicks either the day of inoculation or one week following to mimic an empty week between rearing cycles.

All the broiler chicks that were fed insects contaminated on the same day showed Campylobacter and Salmonella colonization levels of 50-100%. Insects that were fed a week after infection resulted in transfer of both pathogens as well, but at lower levels. Naturally infected insects collected at a commercial broiler farm and fed to chicks also resulted in colonisation, but at lower levels.

The researchers concluded that the fact that Salmonella and Campylobacter can be transmitted via beetles and their larvae to flocks in successive rearing cycles indicates that there should be intensive control programmes for exclusion of these insects from broiler homes.

The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Re: Darkling beetles source of pathogens in broilers

There are actually 4 beetles that can infect a poultry operation: Darkling, Rover, Larder, & Hister.

larder Beetles have been know to inhabit homes with similar protein-loving and hiding characteristics. there were more prominent in home when people processed their own meat.

See:http://books.google.com/books?id=Vih...um=2&ct=result

Commercial Chicken Meat and Egg Production

By Donald D. Bell, William Daniel Weaver, Mack O. North
    "The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

I suspect these beetles can infect operations other than poultry, too. I used to find beetles that looked like the Darkling in my horse barn. Their favorite place to live was in opened grain sacks. Mine were maybe 3/4" long.

I wonder if beetles can transmit viruses as well.
      The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Larder beetles can infest dog and cat food. They come out of the pet food then hide in your walls, etc. Here we store dog food in tighty sealed plastic bins in our unheated shed - the subzero weather kills beetles and other pathogens.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

I store my big bags of dried pet foods in metal garbage cans with tight fitting lids. It might not be a bad idea to slip a few bay leaves in the cans with the bags. I have not had a problem with infestations or other vermin.

I have also stored sacks of horse feed in the tack room in metal garbage cans and the only problem I ever had with critters getting into it was when I forgot and left the tack room door unlatched. My horse was smart enough to nudge the door open, tip toe across the concrete and nibble the lid off the can. Luckily the lid usually made a racket when it hit the floor so we could get her out of there before she ate herself into a colic.
          We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X