X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girl who was never taken to hospital dies

Girl who was never taken to hospital dies
    By MUSA NHLEKO on September 08,2010

MALIYADUMA ? The four month old girl who has never been taken to a clinic by her mother has died.

The baby died on Sunday morning while her mother, who preferred to be identified only as LaMatsebula, was attending church services at Etiyeni near the Mdzimba Mountains.

This is the woman who believed so strongly in the power of prayer that she refused to seek medical assistance for her youngest child.

Speaking a day after the burial of her daughter on Monday, she said she was surprised when she woke up to find that her daughter was no longer breathing.

"I woke up on Sunday morning and went to bath around 5am and when I came back I found that she was no longer breathing," said the mother.

She said she left with her three daughters, aged four months, 10 years and 12 years on Friday for the church services at Etiyeni.

They were supposed to return the following day but due to the unavailability of public transport, they were forced to return on Sun-day.

Surprisingly, after she discovered that her child was no longer breathing on Sunday, LaMatsebula, after being helped by another member, continued with the services as planned.

A church member who owns a van helped her transport the dead child home and as they sat at the back of the van, someone was carrying the corpse which was wrapped in blankets.

LaMatsebula said that when she arrived home, she called the children?s father to notify him about the demise of his daughter.

"When I told him, he was shocked about the death, but said nothing. He came here for the funeral on Monday and we also did not talk much about the death," she said.

When she was asked what could have killed her daughter, LaMatsebula said the Lord had decided to take her.

She said had her daughter died when she had flu in the past weeks she would have understood that she was killed by the sickness.

"I believe God wanted her and I think it was the time for her to leave us," LaMatsebula said.

LaMatsebula said her daughter?s death was God?s plan and said she had accepted that she will never see her again.

The funeral on Monday was attended by residents and family members and she estimated them to be around 50.

The ministry of Health had condemned the act and had promised to follow up on the matter while the Swaziland Conference of Churches had advised the mother to take the children to hospital.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.
Working...
X