• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery illness kills 3 children

Source: http://www.times.co.sz/index.php?news=10464

Mystery illness kills 3 children
    By MBONGENI NDLELA on September 09,2009

NTSININI ? A family is grief stricken after losing three children within 24 hours as a result of a mystery illness.

The children aged 15, 11 and two all died within 24 hours. They had displayed strange symptoms that included a headache and diarrhoea before succumbing to death after about six hours.

They also displayed symptoms like those of people being treated for swine flu.
    The deaths in the Mabuza family resulted in other family members being admitted to the Mbabane Government Hospital in fear that there was an outbreak of some sort.
    The incident happened on Saturday.

According to relatives, first to succumb to death was Nompendulo Mabuza (15), a Form Two pupil at Mpofu High School. She died after complaining of a severe headache, diarrhoea and imbalance (Siyeti).
    ?On that morning she was normal and was playing around. However, in the evening she started complaining of a headache and she went to sleep. When she woke up she was too ill and we rushed her to the Mkhuzweni Health Clinic where she was admitted. At that time her body temperature was very high and she had diarrhoea. The doctors told us that the temperature was very bad,? said Lindiwe Mabuza, a relative.

At around 6pm, she was certified dead. While the family was still trying to come to terms with her death Sehleliso Mabuza (11), a Grade Five pupil at Ntsinini Primary School showed the same signs as his sister the following day. He died on Sunday afternoon.
    ?He first complained of a headache and he got too hot before falling asleep. When he woke up it was worse as he complained of imbalance. We rushed him to the Mkhuzweni Health Clinic where upon arrival he was suffering from diarrhoea. Sadly, doctors onfirmed him dead before sunset,? continued Lindiwe who at some point had difficulty with talking because of the trauma.

Worse was still to come for the family as Phiwayinkhosi Mabuza (two) on Monday morning started showing the same signs and later died.
    According to their father, Mzwembi, Phiwayinkosi was rushed to Mbabane Government Hospital with the hope that doctors would identify the cause and finally come up with a cure.

?After I got a report that my late daughter and son did not get any help from Mkhuzweni Clinic, I then decided to rush Phiwayinkhosi to the Mbabane Government Hospital with the hope that the doctors will find a solution. I even got convinced when the doctors advised me to bring the whole family for check ups. What saddens me is that this morning (yesterday) I got a call from the hospital that Phiwa had passed away,? he said.

Re: Mystery illness kills 3 children

I believe this is in Swaziland, not South Africa. The headaches and "imbalance" (dizziness?), as well as the rapid decline, seem to point to bacterial meningitis.

Comment

Working...
    X