X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudan: Health Highlights 2012

Sudan (the) Sudan Health Highlights - Week 1, 1 - 7 January 2012
    Report? World Health Organization

15 cases with haemorrhagic manifestations were reported from Abu Talha and Abu Dahan villages in West Kassala locality in East Sudan. WHO and SMoH jointly conducted verifications mission to affected locality, surveillance system alerted, 5 samples were collected and sent to national public health laboratory in Khartoum for further investigation. No deaths were reported.
    Measles cases were also reported from Nhre Atbra and New Halfa localities in Kassala State. During the week, Nhre Atbara locality reported 46 cases while Rural Halfa locality reported 18 cases bringing the total number of
    measles cases (since start outbreak) to 246 and 11 deaths, with case fatality rate of 4.5%.
    WHO supported strengthening case management capabilities of health staff with arranged training sessions on case definition and case management for 60 health staff (doctors, nurses and medical assistants). In addition,
    essential drugs for management centers in both localities were also provided.
    In Darfur, acute respiratory infections (ARI), bloody diarrhoea (BD), clinical malaria (Mal), were the leading causes of morbidity during the last week of 2011.
    Twelve (12) suspected cases of acute jaundice syndrome (AJS) were reported from Darfur with 10 cases from South Darfur, 02 cases from West Darfur compared to seventeen (17) cases reported during the previous
    week. One (1) case of suspected Measles was also reported during the week from Saraf Omra in North Darfur.
    No case of suspected measles was reported from South Darfur. In Darfur, nine (09) deaths were reported from North and West Darfur and were attributed to ARI, MAL and other causes (6 fatalities).

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Sudan: Health Highlights 2012

Week 2, 7-13 January 2012

Acute respiratory infections, bloody diarrhoea, clinical malaria, were the leading causes of morbidity in Darfur and fifteen (15) suspected cases of acute jaundice syndrome were reported from all Darfur states.

One (1) case of suspected measles was notified this week from Saraf Omra in North Darfur.

River Atbara locality reported 5 cases of measles and Rural Halfa locality reported 4 cases bringing the total cases to 255 and 11 deaths (CFR: 4.3%). The outbreak has expanded to other localities of Kassala state (North Delta, Aroma and Kassala locality).

Malaria was the leading cause of morbidity in east Sudan where it represented 10.2% of the total consultations conducted

In South Kordofan, malaria & acute respiratory tract infection represented 68% & 25%respectivelyfrom the total reported cases reported followed by dysentery (7%).

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Week 3, 14-20 January 2012
      In Darfur, the leading causes of disease burden were acute respiratory infections
      (ARI), bloody diarrhoea (BD), clinical malaria (Mal) from 7 to 13 January. Around
      91% of the sentinel sites in Darfur reported through the early warning alert and response system (EWARS). From 2.5 million
      population under surveillance, there were 55 617 consultations conducted during the week.
       Ten (10) suspected cases of acute jaundice syndrome (AJS) were reported from different states of Darfur, with 7 cases from South Darfur, 1 case from West Darfur, and 2 cases from North Darfur.
       One (1) case of suspected measles was reported during the week from Saraf Omra in North Darfur
      and one (1) from Eldien in South Darfur.
      Through the EWARS, eleven (11) deaths were reported from North Darfur (malnutrition – 1 fatality,
      ARI - 1 fatality, and other causes - 9 fatalities). South and West Darfur did not report any deaths bbetween 7 and 13 January 2012.
       In East Sudan, surveillance reports presented malaria as the leading cause
      of disease burden comprising 11% of the total number of cases. Around
      91.9% of the sentinel sites in Kassala and 100% of the sites in Gedaref and
      Red Sea States reported to the disease surveillance system.
       The total number of measles cases reported from East Sudan has reached
      265 with 11 deaths (case fatality rate of 4.1%), including the newly reported
      cases from River Atbara locality (5 cases) and Rural Halfa locality (4 cases).
       The measles outbreak has spread to other localities of Kassala state namely North Delta, Aroma,
      Girba and Kassala localities. Measles vaccination campaign started on 22 January 2012 targeting
      population in the age group 5-30 in all affected localities.

Communicable Diseases
      Weekly Morbidity and Mortality Bulletin
      CDWMMB Week No 04:: 21--27 Jan 2012
      Sudan:: FMOH & WHO

II. Diseases of public health importance
      Acute Respiratory Infections (ARI), Bloody Diarrhoea (BD), Clinical Malaria (MAL), remain the leading causes of morbidity in Darfur (table 1). This week,fourteen (14) suspected cases of Acute Jaundice Syndrome (AJS) were reported from Greater Darfur (12 cases in South Darfur and 02 case from West Darfur) compared to sixteen (16) reported in the previous week. Four (04) cases of suspected Measles notified this week from North Darfur (2 cases in Saraf Omra, 01 case from Abu Shoak), 1 case from South Darfur (Dimso) and no case reported from West Darfur. This week twelve (12) deaths were reported in North and West Darfur and were attributed to ARI and other causes (9 fatalities)

Cerebrospinal Meningitis
      As of week no 1, 2012 a total of 41 suspected cases of meningitis were reported in Sudan with 1 death (CFR 2.4%). The cases were reported
      from Khartoum, Kassala, Gezira, North Kordofan, Gedarif and South Kordofan state. 41% of all reported cases are male and 59% females. 27%
      of cases are less than I year old, 58% are in the age group 1-4 years, 10% in the group 5-14 years and 5% in 15-24 years group. 21 CSF (cerebro-spinal fluid) samples were collected and showed no growth upon culture. As of now
      the disease remains calm as none of the epidemiological sectors reached alert threshold.
      Last edited by Ronan Kelly; February 8, 2012, 08:10 PM. Reason: added week 3

Comment

Week 4, 21-27 January 2012

Suspected cases of measles outbreak continue to be reported from Kassala State with 20 cases received from Halfa and 5
        from River Atbara. This brings the number of cases to 290 with 11 deaths (case fatality rate of 3.8&#37. Vaccination campaign started in affected areas targeting people from 5 to 30 years.
        Malaria remained as the leading cause of disease burden reported in health facilities in East Sudan Around 9.5% of the
        total number of consultations reported from the region was malaria .
         From beginning of 2012 up to this reporting week, a total of 41 suspected cases of meningitis were reported in Sudan with
        1 death (case fatality rate of 2.4%). The cases were reported from Khartoum, Kassala, Gezira, North Kordofan, Gedaref and
        South Kordofan. Twenty one(21) cerebro-spinal fluid (CSF) samples were collected and showed no growth upon culture. By
        end of the reporting week, disease trend remained calm as none of the epidemiological sectors reached alert threshold.
        From the reported cases, 41% were male and 59% were female, 27% of cases were children under I year old, 58% in
        the age group 1-4 years, 10% in group 5-14 years and 5% in 15-24 years group.
         Since the beginning of the diphtheria outbreak in November 2011 in North Darfur, a total of 10 482 suspected cases were
        reported including 17 deaths
        (case fatality rate of 0.16%). Cases were reported from the localities of Al Leayt, El Tawisha, El
        Fasher and Tawila. From the 98 swabs collected, 15 samples were positive. Preparations are underway for the vaccination
        campaign targeting children (and adults) in the affected localities.
        Acute respiratory infections (ARI), bloody diarrhoea (BD), clinical malaria (Mal), were the leading causes of disease burden
        in health facilities.

 During the week, 14 suspected cases of acute jaundice syndrome (AJS) were reported from Greater Darfur (12 cases in
        South Darfur and 02 case from West Darfur).
         Four suspected measles cases were notified from North Darfur, 1 case from South Darfur (Dimso) and no cases from West
        Darfur. This week, 12 deaths were reported from North and West Darfur and were attributed to ARI and other causes (9
        fatalities)

Comment

13 ? 19 February 2012

Measles and Acute Jaundice Syndrome cases
          According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there have been reports of suspected cases of measles and
          acute jaundice syndrome (AJS) in South Darfur. In El Fardus and North Nyala localities, 21 suspected cases of
          measles were reported, while 37 suspected cases of AJS were reported in Buram, North Nyala, Bielel and Kass
          localities. The WHO and the State Ministry of Health (SMoH) are investigating the cases. Meanwhile in West
          Darfur, the SMoH reported 71 measles cases this year. Of these cases, 75 per cent were in El Geneina and the
          rest were from Kreneik, Habila, Umm Dukhun, Sirba, Jebel Mun, Azoom, Wadi Saleh and Zalingei. The SMoH
          has asked for support from the humanitarian community to address this issue.

Comment

From SUDAN: Weekly Humanitarian Bulletin
            9 ? 15 April 2012

Suspected Meningitis cases in Um Dukkhun
            On 9 April, the Meningitis Task Force in Zalingei, Central Darfur State, reported that 15 suspected cases of
            meningitis were registered in Um Dukkhun between 1-12 April 2012. On 5 April, WHO provided the international
            NGO International Medical Corps (IMC) with supplies to collect samples from the suspected cases for further
            analysis. Logistics challenges related to flight cancellations to deep field locations has hindered the collection of
            the samples and dispatching them to Khartoum for further testing. The SMoH, in collaboration with WHO, is
            planning to conduct training sessions on meningitis case management targeting 80 health workers from Zalingei,
            Jebel Marra, Garsila, Um Dukkhun and Azoum in the coming weeks. A Meningitis Preparedness Plan for Central
            Darfur State is to be finalized by the health sector partners. The plan incorporates elements of the containment of
            a possible outbreak of the disease.

Comment

Weekly Humanitarian Bulletin
              Sudan
              30 April ? 6 May 2012

Suspected Measles cases in South Kordofan and Darfur

The number of suspected cases of measles this year is increasing. It reached 197 in Central and West Darfur,
              and 23 in South Kordofan according the State Ministries of Health (SMoH). This includes 21 new suspected cases
              in the villages of Koroli Hashaba and Waranga in Zalingei locality, Central Darfur, and six cases Foro Baranga
              town, West Darfur. Five samples were sent for further laboratory analysis. In Darfur, health partners are
              conducting assessments to establish the coverage area and the number of people to be targeted in a vaccination
              campaign. The mission is also conducting ad hoc vaccinations where needed.
              Meningitis vaccination campaign in West Darfur
              A meningitis campaign was launched on 1 May in Umm Dukhun town, West Darfur, targeting some 80,900 people
              between the age of 2-30 years. This follows reports from the SMoH of suspected meningitis cases in Garsila town
              and the Bindisi area. Other suspected meningitis cases in West Darfur were reported in El Geneina town and
              Kulbus.

Comment

Sudan Health Highlights
                Week 19, 6-12 May 2012 (edited)

- Between 1 January and 4 May 2012, a total of 366 suspected cases of meningitis were reported in Sudan with 21 deaths (CFR 5.7&#37.
                - In Blue Nile, malaria remained the leading cause of consultations, followed by acute suspected typhoid and acute bloody diarrhoea.

- In Darfur 22 cases of suspected measles were reported.

- In Abyei, diarrhoea was the leading cause of diseases reported to health facilities.

Comment

Weekly Humanitarian Bulletin
                  Sudan
                  11 ? 17 June 2012
                  Diarrhoea in Abu Shouk IDP camp
                  After 330 cases of diarrhoea were reported in Abu Shouk camp in North Darfur, WHO confirmed that these cases
                  are classified as ?other diarrhoea? and are not symptomatic of cholera or any other disease. The SMoH, with
                  support from WHO, will launch a hygiene and sanitation campaign in the camp.

Comment

Sudan Health Highlights
                    Emergency Preparedness and Humanitarian Action (EHA)
                    Week 22, 26 May - 1 June 2012

Highlights

Between 1 January and 21 May, a total of 431 suspected cases of meningitis were reported from Sudan with 24 deaths, case fatality rate of 5.5%.
                    In North Darfur, WHO together with its health partners prepared interventions/activities for ZamZam IDP camp which has been facing shortage of medicines and a deteriorating environmental health situation.
                    Forty (40) community leaders, community volunteers, as well as representatives from women?s groups in Tawilla IDP camp in North Darfur were trained by SMoH with support from WHO on how to accelerate environmental health activities in camps for prevention of vector and water borne diseases.
                    Twenty (20) medical doctors from different localities in West Darfur were trained on emergency obstetric care (EmOC).
                    In South Kordofan, the health situation was normal, and no disease outbreak was reported during the week. The common diseases recorded in facilities were malaria and acute respiratory infections.
                    Twenty five statisticians and data collectors from state and rural hospitals in South Darfur attended the 3-day training work-shop on health information management system. The course focused on hospital inpatient data reporting and analysis.
                    WHO supported the Sudanese Red Crescent Society (SRCS) by providing four rapid response kits for its health facilities in Kilik, Kharasana, Rashad, Leri and Talodi localities in South Kordofan, sufficient to cover the needs of some 10,000 individuals for 3 months.

Communicable Diseases
                    CDWMMB Week No 23: 02-8 June 12
                    Sudan: FMOH & WHO

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sud.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	659712

Comment

Sudan Health Highlights
                      Emergency Preparedness and Humanitarian Action (EHA)
                      Week 24, 9-15 June 2012

Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	659775

Comment

Communicable Diseases
                        CDWMMB Week No 29: 14-20 July 2012
                        Sudan: FMOH & WHO

I. Reporting Timeliness & Completeness
                        This week 83.3% reporting timeliness & completeness of EWARS reports was achieved in Greater Darfur (fig.1). A total no. of 39055 consultations was seen this week among 2206044 reported populations under surveillance.
                        II. Diseases of Public Health Importance
                        Acute Respiratory Infections (ARI), Bloody Diarrhoea (BD), Clinical Malaria (MAL), remain the leading causes of morbidity in Darfur (table 1). This week, three (03) cases of suspected measles were reported in Darfur (0 cases in South, 01 in West Darfur and 02 case in North Darfur) compared to two (02) cases reported last week. A total of five (05) deaths were reported in West and North Darfur and were attributed to other causes (4 fatalities) and ARI (1 fatality). No death reported, through EWARS, in South Darfur.

Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	659811

Comment

Working...
                        X