Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghana records first H1N1 death

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ghana records first H1N1 death

    Tuesday, June 1, 2010
    Ghana records first H1N1 death
    GHANA recorded its first H1N1 death last week, few days after the first consignment of two million doses of vaccines arrived in the country.
    The victim, an 11-month-old baby girl, died at the 37 Military Hospital in Accra where he was sent in an unconscious state.
    Speaking to the Daily Graphic in Accra, the Director of Public Health, Dr Joseph Amankwah, said specimen from the child was taken for testing before he passed away.
    He explained that both parents of the child had the influenza but had been treated.
    On the vaccine, Dr Amankwah said they were donated by the World Health Organisation (WHO), which was also footing the cost of shipment, as well as that of distribution within Ghana.
    Dr Amankwah explained that the first batch of vaccines was meant for health professionals, personnel of the security agencies, pregnant women and most importantly Ghanaians who would go to South Africa for this year’s World Cup.
    He, however, pointed out that his outfit was still waiting for the list of people who would go to South Africa for the vaccine and also pass them through public health education programmes to ensure that they contract no disease outside Ghana.
    Dr Amankwah said the WHO was assisting Ghana to receive additional vaccines for the general public of which the country would had to take care of the shipping cost and also the cost of distribution.
    When asked why schoolchildren were not among the first group of people to receive the vaccine, since they were the most affected, he said the health sector was still discussing with the WHO as to the correct dose which was appropriate and safe for children under 18.
    The Director of Public Health said his outfit was beginning an orientation programme for health professionals who would administer the vaccines today at the national level and said all the 10 regions would have their training simultaneously by next week, to be followed with the administration of the vaccines to the identified groups.
    Dr Amankwah said the vaccines had already been sent to the various regions ready to be administered and that 774 cases had been confirmed out of which one life had been lost.
    He also indicated that the rate at which people were catching the influenza had slowed down as compared to March this year and added that Ghana was recording more cases because health workers had been vigilant in looking up for the cases.
    He indicated that in some countries the case was different, as health professionals were rather playing down on the spread of the disease, a situation he pointed out was not the best and reiterated the need for the observance of personal hygiene to prevent the spread of the disease, since it was not yet over.
    Posted by Lucy Adoma Yeboah Stories at 2:59 AM
    http://lucyadoma.blogspot.com/2010/0...1n1-death.html
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

  • #2
    Re: Ghana records first H1N1 death

    Not sure if this is a second fatality, or the same as above. The most recent WHO update from Africa is from May 31st!

    H1N1 kills baby but Health Mins. insists vaccine is safe By Citifmonline.com | Wed 28th July, 2010 14:03 GMT
    Hon. Benjamin Kumbour The Minister of Health, Hon. Benjamin Kumbuor has disclosed to Parliament that a baby has died from the H1N1 influenza.

    He added however that the death was not caused by the H1N1 nationwide vaccination and maintained that no one has so far died from the ongoing exercise.

    The Health Minister’s comment comes after a family from the Eastern Region claimed on Thursday July 22, that a 31-year old nursing mother from Asaman Tamfoe in that region died, apparently, from the side effects of the H1N1 vaccination.

    The family expressed anger and disgust at the Health Minister after he first came out to tell Parliament that the vaccine was not fatal.

    Several near-fatal side effects have been reported across the country.

    However Hon. Kumbuor said over 1.5 million people have been vaccinated so far across the country and no death has so far been recorded.

    He told Parliament on Wednesday, July 28 that review meetings of the vaccination exercise revealed that all those who suffered adverse reactions from the vaccination have been well managed with no deaths recorded.

    “Reports from the regions show that about 729 of adverse effects of the vaccination have been reported and effectively managed. They included fever, pain and swelling of injected sides, others also included aching muscles, dizziness, vomiting, shivering, diarrhoea, and sometimes sleeplessness. All these were effectively managed”.

    Hon. Benjamin Kumbour reiterated that the vaccine is safe and the countrywide vaccination will continue as required by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

    “Once again we want to reiterate that based on available evidence the vaccine is safe and vaccination will continue according to the prescribed guidelines of the World Health Organisation (WHO)”

    http://www.citifmonline.com/site/news/news/view/8954/1
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

    Comment

    Working...
    X