Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orientale Province, DRC: Unknown illness kills about 200, mostly children -possible malaria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alert
    replied
    Re: Orientale Province, DRC: Unknown illness kills about 200, mostly children

Originally posted by Emily View Post
    I see all those symptoms listed as found in malaria patients, alert. Are there any other diseases you know of that could be possibilities?
    I agree that malaria is by far the most likely, given the symptoms and predominance of illness in children (whereas adults in a malaria-endemic area would have some resistance), and Pathfinder who posted the original post in French also suspects malaria. This is actually only a crude symptomatic description, as other than fever, only two symptoms are reported for an illness that has killed hundreds and likely sickened many more. There is a large cholera outbreak ongoing in parts of the DRC as well, for example.

Could also be a strong malnutritional component, as well.

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    Re: Orientale Province, DRC: Unknown illness kills about 200, mostly children

I see all those symptoms listed as found in malaria patients, alert. Are there any other diseases you know of that could be possibilities?

Leave a comment:

• Orientale Province, DRC: Unknown illness kills about 200, mostly children -possible malaria

Hat-tip Pathfinder.

Malaria?

An unknown illness would have caused about 200 deaths in three months in the area of ​​health in the territory of Viadana Poko (Bas-Uele), 65 km of Isiro. Aid workers report that the symptoms experienced by patients are fever, vomiting and anemia. The majority of victims are children under five years.
Working...
X