Togo issues poultry quarantine over bird flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Togo issues poultry quarantine over bird flu

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=598 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Togo issues poultry quarantine over bird flu

Lome, Togo 0810 - Togo`s minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Fishing, Yves Madow Nagou, has issued quarantine on poultry and its products in all regions, including the capital, Lome, in a bid to fight the deadly avian flu, which has been reported in the country in the past two months.

"Starting from today, until further notice, anyone caught circulating or selling poultry in any of the regional markets will be committing a breach of the law and treated relevantly," said a government statement issued and published in the local media Thursday.

The government also reminded citizens of their civic responsibility and urged them to comply with the laws established to fight the avian flu in the country.

A team of experts, security forces and personnel from town councils and prefectures involved, have been moving around to ensure compliance with the ban, the statement added.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Select from thousands of news topics or create your own newsletter, and we'll deliver to your inbox the latest news from thousands of worldwide media sources.
    CSI:WORLD http://swineflumagazine.blogspot.com/

treyfish2004@yahoo.com

Togo detects new cases of bird flu

Togo detects new cases of bird flu <!-- END HEADLINE -->
    <!-- BEGIN STORY BODY -->1 hour, 2 minutes ago

Three new cases of the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu have been detected in poultry on farms in the west African nation of Togo, a report said Saturday.
    The new cases were found in dead birds on farms in the Lacs, Golfe and Zio regions east of the capital Lome, national television reported.
    In late June, testing confirmed the presence for the first time in Togo of the H5N1 strain in poultry in Sigbehoue, 45 kilometres (30 miles) east of the capital.
    About 8,000 poultry birds were slaughtered in the area and local poultry markets were closed. Togolese authorities also stepped up controls on poultry imports.
    Togo in October of last year banned the import of live poultry and poultry products from countries affected by the virus.
    Worldwide, the virus has killed 191 people out of 313 infected patients since reappearing in late 2003, according to a World Health Organisation toll dated June 15.
    Experts fear the death toll could multiply rapidly if the virus were to mutate and become easily transmitted between humans.

Comment

Re: Togo detects new cases of bird flu

Poultry Farmers Urged To Implement Bio-Security Measure

<!---->
      <SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--google_ad_client = "pub-2880489375589404";google_ad_width = 300;google_ad_height = 250;google_ad_format = "300x250_as";google_ad_type = "text";google_ad_channel ="1427188662";google_color_border = "ffffff";google_color_bg = "ffffff";google_color_link = "006699";google_color_url = "006699";google_color_text = "000000";google_page_url = document.location;google_alternate_color = "FFFFFF";google_hints="call ghana cheap phone calls long distance international calling cards send money transfer";//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

Poultry farmers have been urged to implement bio-security measures on their farms to prevent an outbreak of Avian Influenza (Bird Flu). Dr Joseph Adongo Awuni, Head of Bird Flu Surveillance Team, made the call at a day's poultry development workshop organised by Tema Municipal Poultry and Livestock Development Board yesterday.

He said the only means to prevent an outbreak of bird flu and other poultry diseases was how to implement bio-security measures.

Dr Awuni was speaking on the theme: 'Farm bio-security as a means of preventing bird flu outbreak on poultry farms-from the veterinarian point of view,' at the workshop. Giving some measures in bio-security, Dr Awuni said farmers must fence their farms and provide specific exit and entry, avoid the creation of open feeding ponds to migratory birds.

He said farmers must restrict movements of people and vehicles in and out of susceptible areas and between farms to limit exposure of the disease. Giving the sanitation aspect of bio-security measures, he said the avian virus could not withstand high temperature therefore, detergents and disinfectants must be used always in cleaning farm premises.

Dr Awuni urged the farmers to make bio-security plans to identify the wrong practices on their farms and correct them.

Mr Kenneth Quartey, Chairman of Ghana National Association of Poultry Farmers (GNAPF), advised members to take bio-security measures serious. He noted that such measures were ideal than to receive GH?4.30 (43,000 cedis) as compensation per live bird when farms were culled by Government due to the detection of an outbreak of bird flu.

Source/Credits: GNA

Comment

Commentary at

Comment

Are these the same outbreaks we were discussing last week in my post regarding the updated OIE report?

I checked the report again and, to my surprise, found that someone had changed the report to read *birds* instead of *cattle*.

I think it's odd that someone put cattle in there to begin with...(was it like: "Oh shoot ...what was I thinking when I wrote that!!?") and equally odd that someone went back and changed the reports.

I wonder how they caught the mistake.
          The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Re: Togo issues poultry quarantine over bird flu

more here from June 2007

"In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by mixin View Post
              Are these the same outbreaks we were discussing last week in my post regarding the updated OIE report?

I checked the report again and, to my surprise, found that someone had changed the report to read *birds* instead of *cattle*.

I think it's odd that someone put cattle in there to begin with...(was it like: "Oh shoot ...what was I thinking when I wrote that!!?") and equally odd that someone went back and changed the reports.

I wonder how they caught the mistake.
              No these are new outbreaks. The mistake in the one report about one outbreak involved 300 birds, which were described. The fact that someone checked the wrong box in the species field was pretty obvious. Cattle don't lay eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by niman View Post
                No these are new outbreaks. The mistake in the one report about one outbreak involved 300 birds, which were described. The fact that someone checked the wrong box in the species field was pretty obvious. Cattle don't lay eggs.
                Pardon my ignorance but it wasn't *pretty obvious* to me. I've never seen an actual report so I had no way of knowing that there were boxes to check. I thought it was written in and couldn't understand the mistake...there's a huge difference in cattle and birds.

I also am always a little suspicious of govt in general so when I saw that someone went back and changed the forms, I questioned that. If it was important enough to change, it should have been important enough to get right in the first place. My eyebrows went up when I saw *cattle* so I assumed that whoever reviews/posts these reports might have had a moment, too. I suspect that would be huge if cattle are ever able to be infected.

And please...I do remember cattle don't lay eggs; you told me that in our last discussion.
                The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange ~ Louis Harris, 1918

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but it wasn't *pretty obvious* to me. I've never seen an actual report so I had no way of knowing that there were boxes to check. I thought it was written in and couldn't understand the mistake...there's a huge difference in cattle and birds.

I also am always a little suspicious of govt in general so when I saw that someone went back and changed the forms, I questioned that. If it was important enough to change, it should have been important enough to get right in the first place. My eyebrows went up when I saw *cattle* so I assumed that whoever reviews/posts these reports might have had a moment, too. I suspect that would be huge if cattle are ever able to be infected.

And please...I do remember cattle don't lay eggs; you told me that in our last discussion.
                  The actual report was online. These reports have a certain amount of redundancy. In this case, the number of infected animals was lsited as 300. The description of the infected birds was given (I think it was 24 and 11 month old layers). Therefore, the description of the 300 infected animals made it clear that they were chickens and the "cattle" was (obviously) incorrect.
                  My comment on cattle not laying eggs was a hint that the report was quite clear (layers lay eggs) and did not support speculation about H5N1 infected cattle in Togo.

Comment

Togo detects new cases of bird flu<TABLE style="WIDTH: 405px; HEIGHT: 44px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=caption style="WIDTH: 360px">
                    August 12 2007 at 11:43AM </TD></TR><TR><TD style="HEIGHT: 1px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=23 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=svarticletext>Three new cases of the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu have been detected in poultry on farms in the west African nation of Togo, a report said on Saturday.

The new cases were found in dead birds on farms in the Lacs, Golfe and Zio regions east of the capital Lome, national television reported.

In late June, testing confirmed the presence for the first time in Togo of the H5N1 strain in poultry in Sigbehoue, 45km east of the capital.

About 8,000 poultry birds were slaughtered in the area and local poultry markets were closed. Togolese authorities also stepped up controls on poultry imports.

Togo in October of last year banned the import of live poultry and poultry products from countries affected by the virus.

Worldwide, the virus has killed 191 people out of 313 infected patients since reappearing in late 2003, according to a World Health Organisation toll dated June 15.

Experts fear the death toll could multiply rapidly if the virus were to mutate and become easily transmitted between humans.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Here is the report

<TABLE class=rep_table width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=rep_item_ob width=200>Outbreak 2 (OIERef 5775)</TD><TD class=rep_data_ob width=*>Tonoukouti, ZIO, R?GION MARITIME</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rep_item width=200>Date of start of outbreak</TD><TD class=rep_data width=*>20/07/2007</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rep_item width=200>Outbreak status</TD><TD class=rep_data width=*>Continuing (or date resolved not submitted)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rep_item width=200>Epidemiological unit</TD><TD class=rep_data width=*>Village</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rep_item width=200>Affected animals</TD><TD><TABLE class=rep_sub_table width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=rep_sub_item width="20%">Species</TD><TD class=rep_sub_item width="16%">Susceptible</TD><TD class=rep_sub_item width="16%">Cases</TD><TD class=rep_sub_item width="16%">Deaths</TD><TD class=rep_sub_item width="16%">Destroyed</TD><TD class=rep_sub_item width="16%">Slaughtered</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=rep_sub_data>Birds</TD><TD class=rep_sub_data>300</TD><TD class=rep_sub_data>254</TD><TD class=rep_sub_data>254</TD><TD class=rep_sub_data>46</TD><TD class=rep_sub_data>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=rep_item width=200>Affected population</TD><TD class=rep_data width=*>?levage de pondeuses ? petit effectif avec deux bandes ?g?es de 24 mois et de 11 mois </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Here is a machine translation of the affected population (the French description was in the original online report)

breeding of layers with small manpower with two 24 months old bands and 11 months

(Layers lay eggs)

Comment

Togo confirms new cases of bird flu

August 13 2007 at 01:57AM

Lome - Togo has discovered outbreaks of highly pathogenic H5N1 bird flu on two poultry farms near its border with Ghana and closed markets in the area to stop it spreading, Agriculture Minister Yves Mado Nagou said on Sunday.

Togo, which declared its first outbreak of the most deadly strain of avian influenza in June, found new cases in the past fortnight on farms at Adetikope, 20km from the capital Lome, and Aflao, an outlying western suburb of Lome near the Ghana border, Nagou said.

Nagou said poultry on both farms had been culled, the farms placed under quarantine and all poultry markets in the country's southern coastal region - its most heavily populated - ordered to close.

Authorities hoped to re-open markets as soon as this week, he told reporters.

H5N1 bird flu has killed more than 190 people around the world, mainly in Asia, since the disease re-emerged in Hong Kong in 2003.

People can catch the virus from close contact with infected birds or by eating their meat if not properly prepared, but scientists fear the virus could mutate and jump between humans, threatening a much more deadly flu pandemic.

Outbreaks in Africa have raised alarm bells because epidemiologists fear the continent's widespread poverty, lack of proper veterinary and medical facilities and huge informal farming sector could allow outbreaks to go unnoticed longer, increasing the risk of the virus mutating.

Several West African countries have had H5N1 outbreaks since early 2006, including Nigeria, which reported sub-Saharan Africa's first confirmed human death from the disease early this year.

?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
                          Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Comment

AVIAN INFLUENZA (139): TOGO (LACS, GOLFE, ZIO)

Date: Sat 11 Aug 2007
                            Source: AFP via France24.com [edited]
                            <http://www.france24.com/france24Public/en/administration/afp-news.html?id=070811141747.ak3qo2m0&cat=null>

Three new cases of the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu have been detected in
                            poultry on farms in the west African nation of Togo, a report said on
                            Saturday [11 Aug 2007]. The new cases were found in dead birds on farms in
                            the Lacs, Golfe and Zio regions east of the capital Lome, national
                            television reported.

In late June 2007, testing confirmed the presence for the 1st time in Togo
                            of the H5N1 strain in poultry in Sigbehoue, 45 km (30 miles) east of the
                            capital. About 8000 poultry birds were slaughtered in the area, and local
                            poultry markets were closed. Togolese authorities also stepped up controls
                            on poultry imports.

Togo in October of last year [2006] banned the import of live poultry and
                            poultry products from countries affected by the virus.

--
                            communicated by:
                            ProMED-mail rapporteur Joseph Dudley

[Since the initial identification of HPAI H5N1 in Togo in June 2007, Togo
                            submitted reports to the Office National des Epizooties (OIE) on 22 Jun, 2
                            and 20 Jul, and 1 Aug, all related to the outbreak in Sigbehoue (Maritime
                            province, south Togo):

A summary with map is available at
                            <http://www.oie.int/wahid-prod/public.php?page=event_summary&reportid=5823>.
                            The 1st outbreak was located in the Lacs region, signed (4) in the map of
                            Togo, is available at
                            <http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa/togo.gif>.

New outbreaks are located in the regions Golfe (1) and Zio (2). - Mod.AS]

http://tinyurl.com/2q23wl
                            CSI:WORLD http://swineflumagazine.blogspot.com/

treyfish2004@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                            X