Swaziland - Unknown illness kills chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swaziland - Unknown illness kills chickens

Swine flu doesn't really kill chickens. Bird flu might, as might Newcastle Disease.

Mystery chicken disease outbreak
    02 March, 2010 10:00:00 By Nelsiwe Ndlangamandla
    Font size:
    THERE is a swine flu scare at Emcengeni near Maphalaleni outside Mbabane, after 50 chickens were attacked by a mysterious disease.
    Manjoma Zubuko, lost 40 chickens from the unknown disease which his neighbours suspect is Swine Flu
    “I do not know how I am going to stop the spread of the disease,” said Zubuko
    He stated that the chickens showed signs of fever, became blind and were paralysed before dying. He mentioned that he even bought Coliprim which he had been told could cure the disease, but it did not work.
    He observed that his neighbour’s chickens have now contracted the disease and that 10 of these have since died.
    “I have gone to the veterinarian in Manzini and I have been told that I have to take the chickens to a laboratory to be tested,” he said.
    Zubuko explained that he fears carrying his chickens for such a long distance as it could infect people. “What if this is swine flu? I cannot be accountable for people’s lives when I infect them with the virus,” said Zubuko.
    Sandile Dlamini who lost 10 of his chickens feared the same. He said this could be more than such diseases as Newcastle.
    When asked if Swine Flu infected chickens, chairman of the Emergency Preparedness Response Masitsela Mhlanga referred all questions to the ministry of agriculture.
    Xolani Dlamini Director of Veterinary Services stated that the families need to take one dead chicken to the lab in Manzini.
    He said they should put the chickens in a plastic bag and ensure that they seal it, stating that this would ensure that the disease does not spread.
    “Even if veterinary officers can go to the area, they would be required to bring back the chickens to the lab to be tested,” said Dlamini.
    He stated that they would make means to go to the area to assess the situation.

He gave the following tips;
    l Separate infected chickens.
    l People who enter the chicken house should wear protective clothing
    l There should be a foot bath at the door with a disinfectant.
    l Do not mix free range chickens with those in the chicken house.
Working...
X