• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinea: Amadou Salif K?b?, president of Ceni, swept away by coronavirus

Source: https://www.jeuneafrique.com/929694/...e-coronavirus/

Guinea: Amadou Salif K?b?, president of Ceni, swept away by coronavirus
    April 17, 2020 at 6:44 pm | By Fatoumata Diallo
    Me Salif K?b?, president of the Ceni of Guinea Conakry, January 30, 2018.

At the head of the Independent National Electoral Commission (Ceni) since July 2018, the lawyer Amadou Salif K?b? had notably supervised the double ballot of March 22.

The president of the Guinean Electoral and Independent Commission (Ceni), Me Amadou Salif Keb?, died this Friday April 17 at Donka hospital in Conakry, as a result of Covid-19.

Confined to his home for ten days, he was admitted on April 14 to the Donka University Hospital, a facility on the front line in the fight against the pandemic, following a deterioration in his state of health, aggravated by diabetes . According to a source close to the presidential movement, Amadou Salif Keb? was contaminated by observers of African civil society who came to Guinea to supervise the double electoral ballot on March 22. One of them is still hospitalized.

The president of Ceni is the third victim of Covid-19 in Guinea, which has 438 confirmed cases, including 49 cures, on April 17.
    A determined man

Former lawyer, Amadou Salif Keb? had been brought to the head of the institution by 18 out of 19 commissioners following a motion of no confidence launched against his predecessor, Bakary Fofana. Since then, he has had the heavy task of cleaning up the Guinean electoral register and conducting the boycotted double ballot by a part of the opposition. "My team and I are doing the best we can so that the elections are of good quality," he told Jeune Afrique in February 2018.

Often criticized by critics of power, the boss of the Ceni has never wavered and has always said "serene", constantly defending the institution he chaired for a year and a half.
Working...
X