Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guinea records probable case of Ebola-like Marburg virus - Confirmed - Outbreak declared over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinea records probable case of Ebola-like Marburg virus - Confirmed - Outbreak declared over

Fri, August 6, 2021,

Fri, August 6, 2021, 7:29 PM·1 min read
    In this article:
    • Coronavirus

Explore the topics mentioned in this article

DAKAR (Reuters) - A probable case of Marburg virus, a deadly hemorrhagic fever similar to Ebola, has been detected in Guinea, the health ministry said on Friday.

Two laboratories in Guinea confirmed the case of Marburg and a sample has been sent to neighbouring Senegal for further confirmation, the ministry's National Agency of Health Safety (ANSS) said in a statement.

If confirmed, it would represent the first case of Marburg in West Africa. There have been 12 major Marburg outbreaks since 1967, most in the south and east of Africa as well as in Europe.

READ MORE
    ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
    Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Translation Google

Urgent: After Ebola, Lassa, Corona ... a "probable" case of the Marburg virus reported in Guinea

CONAKRY- Is Guinea becoming the territory where all the cursed viruses in the world meet? Already struck by a series of epidemics (Coronavirus, Lassa, yellow fever), Guinea, which recently defeated Ebola, has just recorded a first probable case of Marburg fever.

This case was recorded on Thursday, August 05, 2021 in Tèmessadou M'boke, sub-prefecture of Koundou, prefecture of Guéckédou in the health region of Nzérékoré, by two (2) national laboratories based in Guéckédou and Conakry at level P2, announced this Friday, August 6, 2021, the national health security agency.

Considering that this is the first time that this disease has been notified in Guinea, the health authorities in collaboration with its partners have decided as follows:

1. Sending a sample to the Pasteur Institute in Dakar (laboratory P3) for a re-confirmation
    2. Investigate around the case in order to detect other suspected cases and list the contacts;
    3. Strengthen surveillance in the suspected area;
    4. Raise awareness among the populations of the suspected area on preventive measures.

A joint mission of the Regional Health Directorate of Nzérékoré, Prefectural Health Directorate of Guéckédou and the WHO is deployed to investigate the case. To date, no new suspected case has been detected pending the end of the investigations, specifies the briefing note of Dr Sakoba Keita.

We will come back to that!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

L'Agence Nationale de Sécurité Sanitaire s'occupe de la prévention,la surveillance et la gestion... Conakry, (Kaloum cité chémin de fer), 797 Conakry, Guinea
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

How did the Marburg hemorrhagic fever appear?

Saturday 07 August 2021

GUECKEDOU-A probable case of Marburg hemorrhagic fever, the very first in Guinea, has been discovered in Tèmèssadou N'bôkêh, a district located 50 kilometers from the urban commune of Guéckédou in Forest Guinea. The first victim is a 46-year-old father. Father of 5 children, his wife fled after the tragic death of her husband.

Our regional correspondent based in Nzérékoré went to Tèmèssadou this Friday 06 August. He met Sandouno Félix, the head of the post who received the patient before his death. According to his testimony, the victim had red lips, a sign of bleeding. However, he did not know what caused the bleeding. He returned to what happened.

"You know, when a sick person comes in, you have to do the interrogation. When I asked, the parents told me that he suffers from mental depression and that he has been on treatment for 6 months. Four (4) days before we brought him to the health post, he had started doing things like someone who is disturbed, he was not sleeping and he was always on the move (…).

It was on Sunday August 1 that he started to feel hot. The state in which I saw him made me doubt. So I made arrangements at the same time to protect myself. I took the TDR test which was positive. He had red lips. When I asked, I was told he has a mouth problem. After the treatment, in the afternoon, the parents asked to go home. The next day, which was Monday, I told them that it is preferable that the patient be referred to Guéckédou, given his condition. The parents informed the patient who told them not to rush to refer him to Guéckédou. To wait a bit. But it was really wrong.

In the evening around 9 p.m., I heard screams. The time for me to go and look over there, I met the president of the district who told me that Doctor Pascal, who is in Conakry, instructed him not to touch the body. Because he was bleeding through his mouth, it's very complicated. And parents said that while he was sick he banged his head against the wall. I don't know if it was those injuries that caused the bleeding. So, it is a bleeding which I could not know the origin. Something that prompted me to tell them to refer him. But if the parents or the patient refuses, it becomes complicated. It's like that, when the man died, the village chief

So I sensitized the community. It was expected that the next morning that a team would come from Guéckédou. The next day they came in the afternoon. When they arrived, they put on their suits as usual. They sprayed the place before taking the blood sample and turned around. They promised that we would have the results at 6 p.m. To date, we have not received the result. The next day also the same, but they always told us to keep the door closed without going there. So people started to worry ", told us Mr. Sandouno Félix, head of the Tèmèssadou post.

The result is positive, it is the Marburg hemorrhagic fever we are told. 13 first contacts were recorded in the village, while the wife of the deceased took the loose.

"The result is today that we received. They said it is the Marburg hemorrhagic fever. The contacts are 13 people. These are the first contacts. But some people have fled. In particular his woman, ”adds the post manager.

The burial took place on Thursday 05 August 2021 in the same village by a team of the red cross. A team from the regional health directorate of Nzérékoré was in the village with the prefectural health directorate of Guéckédou on Friday 06 August for investigations.

"As the body had already spent several days, we had already dug the grave to await the burial. But when they told us that there are people who must come from Nzérékoré and Guéckédou, we were ready to completely empty the village, because there was fear. They were not going to find anyone here. But it is thanks to the sensitization of the sub-prefect of Koundou, and the head of the post that we stayed to welcome the delegation. It has just returned ", testifies Faya Moussa Millimono, village chief of Tèmèssadou N'bôkêh.

?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"

Comment

MARGBURG FEVER IN GUECKEDOU: one death and more than ten contacts

By LEDJELY.COM - Sunday, August 8, 2021

Ledjely.com met the health worker from Témessadou M'Boket who had received the patient who finally died. "When this patient arrived with his parents last Sunday, I was told he has a hot body, he is not sleeping. All night long he comes and goes and talks alone. When I did his RDT I found it to be positive, then I saw that he had red lips and his body was pale and he was bleeding from his mouth and I didn't know not the origin of this bleeding. After the diagnosis, I put him on treatment for malaria. Some time later, the parents decided to return home with the patient. So, on Monday morning, as it is the day of the weekly market in Koundou, I went to tell his parents that the way I find your son there, the best way would be to refer him. They asked me where? I told Koundou and Koundou refers to Gueckédou. After their interview, “, Said Félix Sandouno, head of the Temessadou M'Boket health post.

Further on, Félix Sandouno specifies: “as soon as there was this death on August 2 at 10:30 pm we received calls everywhere asking us not to touch the body. The red cross came to take the sample the next day. We were told the result would be available at 6 p.m. Tuesday. After that, a team came to take the sample, it was only on Friday that the mission came to tell me that the test was positive for the Marburg virus but another sample is sent to Senegal, we are waiting for that. first to actually confirm the disease. Otherwise the body was three days before being buried by the red cross ”.

There are many people in the general population who believe that the bleeding in the body is due to another factor. “ This gentleman was suffering from dementia. He was once sent to Conakry for treatment. When he returned it was over 2 years before the insanity resumed. So when his madness started he could bang his head against the wall, tree trunks and other objects. He could go 4 to 5 days without sleeping and he spoke to himself. The last time he fell ill he complained of malaria and fatigue. If he dies and we find blood in his mouth we say to ourselves that these are effects. But to say that it is the disease really surprises us. He never left here to go anywhere else and how he can have that», Explains Faya Moussa Millimouno, head of the central sector of the district of Temessadou M'Boket. And to add: “ even when the red cross came for the burial, it was difficult to find people to close the tomb. People had fled the village. It is thanks to the awareness of the mayor, the sub-prefect, the head of the center, you have found people here ”.

As of August 6, 2021, several contacts have been identified but the victim's wife is on the run. “ We have already identified 13 people who are contacts. Since August 3 we started and we did the 3, 4 and 5. This is the result. However, we continue to raise awareness so that people remain calm and continue to wash their hands. Our concern is linked to the fact that the deceased's wife is missing. We do not know is gone, research is underway to find it, ”reassures Félix Sandouno.

On the side of the health authorities of Gueckédou, it is radio silence, no one wants to comment on the issue even if investigation and awareness teams are deployed in the field. It should be noted that the deceased who was 46 years old leaves behind 6 children and a widow.

https://ledjely.com/2021/08/08/fievr...e-de-contacts/

Comment

Hmm. A man who has been institutionalized for the past 2 years with mental issues and dementia doesn't seem likely to be the first person in his country to contract Marburg. Many hemorrhagic fevers, including Lassa, Ebola, and Marburg can cause acute mental issues, but it's not likely to produce an illness lasting for years. Could the man have contracted the virus as a patient in a hospital at some point in the past couple weeks?

Are we sure the man didn't have Ebola? Ebola and Marburg are both filoviruses and could conceivably be cross-reactive in a rapid-test. Is there any evidence that this man might have had contacts to the previous Ebola outbreaks in this area, and perhaps was suffering from the after-effects or relapse of a previous infection? Other than the rapid-test positive for Marburg, there's no mention of any other tests on the patient.

Obviously, there are a wide range of things other than Ebola and Marburg that could have caused this man's illness.

There's more questions than answers here so far.

Comment

bump this

Comment

Translation Google

Marburg fever in Guinea: the Pasteur Institute in Dakar reconfirms !!!

Mediaguinee
              August 9, 2021

Bad news for Guinea. The Pasteur Institute in Dakar has just confirmed a case of Marburg Fever from the sample that was sent from Guinea, indicates to Mediaguinee a source close to the ANSS.

Mauvaise nouvelle pour la Guinée. L'institut Pasteur de Dakar vient de réconfirmer un cas de la Fièvre de Marburg à partir de l'échantillon qui a été

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Guinea-Fièvre Marburg: the case of Guékédou confirmed by the Pasteur Institute in Dakar

Posted By: Thierno Souleymane Diallo On: Monday, August 09, 2021 At 4:16 P.M.

Less than two months after the end of Ebola fever, Marburg fever must be counted among the diseases that Guinea now has to face, in addition to the Coronavirus and Lassa fever. The results of the examination of the sample, hitherto described as a "probable" case, have fallen. In any case, Guinéenews has just learned from a medical source close to the French institute.

According to our source, “Marburg fever is confirmed by the Pasteur Institute in Dakar”. Our interlocutor specifies that an official declaration is being prepared ”.

This is confirmed by the director of the communication department of the National Agency for Health Security. In turn, Sory 2 Keïra declares that: "the Pasteur Institute in Dakar has just confirmed". Before adding that: “the declaration is being drafted.

Moins de deux mois après la fin de la fièvre Ebola, il faut compter la fièvre Marburg parmi les maladies auxquelles la Guinée doit désormais faire face, en plus du Coronavirus et la fièvre Lassa. Les résultats de l'examen de l’échantillon jusque-là q
              "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
              -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Translation Google

GUECKEDOU: the woman on the run, whose husband died of Marburg fever, localized (prefect)

By LEDJELY.COM Monday August 9th, 2021 at 04:38 PM

After a case of probable death from the Marburg virus hemorrhagic fever, in the district of Témessadou M'Boket, the prefectural authorities of Gueckedou are making reassuring announcements about the wife of the deceased who was on the run.

According to the prefect, Tamba Nestor Tonguino, “ the only woman who had moved was located. We have sent the authorities to identify her whereabouts. The village has just been indicated and people will go for sensitization so that she agrees to go to the hospital for follow-up like the other suspected cases. I'm sure we'll be able to get her to come ”.

In addition, to curb the spread of this new virus in Guinea, the first magistrate of Gueckedou announces measures. "The whole village of Temessadou M'Boket is placed in quarantine and the contacts are identified, " he said.

Niouma Lazare Kamano for Ledjely.com

Après un cas de décès probable de la fièvre hémorragique à virus Marburg, dans le district de Témessadou M'Boket, les autorités préfectorales de Gueckedou
                -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Source: https://reliefweb.int/report/guinea/...nfirmed-guinea

West Africa's first-ever case of Marburg virus disease confirmed in Guinea

Format News and Press Release
                  Source WHO
                  Posted 9 Aug 2021
                  Originally published 9 Aug 2021

Brazzaville/Conakry, 9 August 2021 – Health authorities in Guinea today confirmed a case of Marburg virus disease in the southern Gueckedou prefecture. This is the first time Marburg, a highly infectious disease that causes haemorrhagic fever, has been identified in the country, and in West Africa.

Marburg, which is in the same family as the virus that causes Ebola, was detected less than two months after Guinea declared an end to an Ebola outbreak that erupted earlier this year. Samples taken from a now-deceased patient and tested by a field laboratory in Gueckedou as well as Guinea’s national haemorrhagic fever laboratory turned out positive for the Marburg virus. Further analysis by the Institut Pasteur in Senegal confirmed the result.

The patient had sought treatment at a local clinic in Koundou area of Gueckedou, where a medical investigation team had been dispatched to probe his worsening symptoms.

“We applaud the alertness and the quick investigative action by Guinea’s health workers. The potential for the Marburg virus to spread far and wide means we need to stop it in its tracks,” said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Director for Africa. “We are working with the health authorities to implement a swift response that builds on Guinea’s past experience and expertise in managing Ebola, which is transmitted in a similar way.”

Gueckedou, where Marburg has been confirmed, is also the same region where cases of the 2021 Ebola outbreak in Guinea as well as the 2014–2016 West Africa outbreak were initially detected.

Efforts are underway to find the people who may have been in contact with the patient. As the disease is appearing for the first time in the country, health authorities are launching public education and community mobilization to raise awareness and galvanize support to help curb widespread infection.

An initial team of 10 WHO experts, including epidemiologists and socio-anthropologists is on the ground helping to investigate the case and supporting the national health authorities to swiftly step up emergency response, including risk assessment, disease surveillance, community mobilization, testing, clinical care, infection prevention as well as logistical support.

Cross-border surveillance is also being enhanced to quickly detect any cases, with neighbouring countries on alert. The Ebola control systems in place in Guinea and in neighbouring countries are proving crucial to the emergency response to the Marburg virus...

Comment

Guinea - Marburg Fever: the case of Guékédou confirmed by the Pasteur Institute in Dakar

Monday, August 09, 2021

Less than two months after the end of Ebola fever, Marburg fever must be counted among the diseases that Guinea now has to face, in addition to the Coronavirus and Lassa fever. The results of the examination of the sample, hitherto described as a "probable" case, have fallen. In any case, Guinéenews has just learned from a medical source close to the French institute.

According to our source, “Marburg fever is confirmed by the Pasteur Institute in Dakar”. Our interlocutor specifies that an official declaration is being prepared ”.

This is confirmed by the director of the communication department of the National Agency for Health Security. In turn, Sory 2 Keïra declares that: "the Pasteur Institute in Dakar has just confirmed".

https://guineenews.org/guinee-fievre...teur-de-dakar/

Comment

Wow. I hope that in addition to his contacts after taking ill, they are tracing his steps backward, especially to the period he was institutionalized in Conakry. He doesn't have the kind of animal exposures one would suspect in an index case of such an outbreak, which leads me to believe he might have been infected by a previously unreported human case.

Comment

bump this

Comment

WEEKLY BULLETIN ON OUTBREAKS
                          AND OTHER EMERGENCIES

Week 32: 2 - 8 August 2021
                          Data as reported by: 17:00; 8 August 2021

Marburg virus disease Guinea

1 Cases
                          1 Deaths
                          100% CFR

EVENT DESCRIPTION

Health authorities in Guinea declared an outbreak of Marburg virus
                          disease in the southern Gueckedou prefecture on 9 August 2021.
                          This is the first time Marburg, a highly infectious disease that
                          causes haemorrhagic fever, has been identified in the country, and
                          in West Africa. On 6 August 2021, WHO was notified by the Ministry
                          of Health of Guinea of a confirmed Marburg virus disease (MVD)
                          case in the Guéckédou prefecture in the Nzérékoré Region of southwestern Guinea.
                          The case is a 46 years old male farmer, resident of Temessadou
                          M´Boké village, 9 km away from the Sierra Leone border, who died
                          within the community on 3 August. Following the onset of symptoms
                          that began on 25 July, the farmer visited a small healthcare center
                          in Koundou, in the Guéckédou prefecture, on 1 August with
                          symptoms of fever, headache, fatigue, abdominal pain, and gingival
                          haemorrhage. A rapid diagnostic test for malaria returned negative,
                          and the case received ambulatory supportive care with rehydration,
                          parental and symptomatic treatment. Upon returning home, his
                          condition worsened, and he died shortly thereafter on 3 August.
                          Kondou healthcare center sent an alert to the Provincial health
                          directorate of Gueckdou about a death in the community. The
                          investigation team was immediately deployed to the village to
                          conduct an in-depth investigation and collected a post-mortem
                          oral swab sample which was shipped on the same day to the Viral
                          Haemorrhagic Fevers laboratory in Guéckédou. The test results
                          on 3 August confirmed MVD by real-time reverse transcription
                          polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and was negative for Ebola
                          virus disease. The deceased patient was safely buried on 4 August
                          2021, with the support of the national Red Cross.

The sample was also sent to the national reference laboratory for
                          Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers (LFHG) in Conakry on 4 August and the
                          Institut Pasteur in Dakar for re-confirmation. On 5 August, MVD was
                          confirmed using RT-PCR at the LFHG in Conakry. Further analysis
                          by the Institut Pasteur in Senegal confirmed the case positive for
                          Marburg.

The preliminary investigation identified four high risk contacts,
                          including three family members and one health care worker who
                          attended to the case. Further detailed investigation is ongoing to
                          identify the source of the infection and identify additional contacts
                          of this case.

Similar MVD outbreaks and sporadic cases of the disease have
                          previously been reported in African countries; including Angola, the
                          Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, South Africa, Zimbabwe
                          and the last outbreak was reported in Uganda in 2017 with four
                          cases.

PUBLIC HEALTH ACTIONS

The Ministry of Health (MoH) together with WHO, USCDC,
                          Alima, Red Cross, UNICEF, FAO and other partners, have
                          initiated measures to control the outbreak and prevent further
                          spread.

The Incident management system has been activated with
                          intersectoral coordination through the One Health platform
                          planned. An emergency response plan for the outbreak is also
                          in place.

The MoH has activated the national and district emergency
                          management committees to coordinate the response and
                          engaging with community.

An initial team of 10 experts, including epidemiologists and
                          socio-anthropologists is on the ground helping to investigate
                          the case and supporting the national health authorities to swiftly
                          step up emergency response, including risk assessment,
                          disease surveillance, community mobilization, testing, clinical
                          care, infection prevention as well as logistical support.

Contact tracing is ongoing, as well as active case search in health
                          facilities and at the community level. Three family members and
                          a healthcare worker were identified as close contact and are
                          being followed up.

Health authorities are launching public education and community
                          mobilization to raise awareness and galvanize support to help
                          curb widespread infection.

Sierra Leone and Liberia health authorities have activated the
                          contingency plan and have started public health measures at
                          the point of entry with Guinea.

SITUATION INTERPRETATION

Guinea has recorded its first case of MVD in the same Nzérékoré
                          region where two Ebola virus disease (EVD) outbreaks occurred, the
                          first reported in 2014 and then in February 2021, which has since
                          been declared over. The current outbreak involved one confirmed
                          and remains localised. The national authorities have rapidly
                          responded to this event, promptly implementing control measures.
                          Further detailed investigation is ongoing to identify the source of
                          the infection and identify additional contacts of this case. There is
                          frequent international movement of persons between Guéckédou
                          prefecture in Guinea and the districts of Foya in Liberia and Kailahun
                          in Sierra Leone, which represents a high risk for trans-border
                          transmission. There is also a risk of geographical expansion in the
                          whole region of N’zérékoré due to frequent population movement.
                          While the country has overtime gained some experience and
                          capacity to respond to viral haemorrhagic fever outbreaks, this
                          event still calls for concerted efforts of all stakeholders.

PROPOSED ACTIONS

National authorities and partners need urgently to address any
                          shortfall in response activities to ensure that this outbreak is
                          contained rapidly. Authorities and partners in Guinea need to
                          rapidly implement full response capacity, including community
                          surveillance, strengthened testing capacity and improved case
                          management in order to rapidly bring this outbreak under
                          control.

Continued advocacy and community engagement remain
                          effective proactive measures to address this as were employed
                          during the recent EVD outbreaks.

The country is implementing the 90 days enhanced EVD
                          surveillance plan in the whole region of N’zérékoré focussing
                          mainly on community-based surveillance, and care for EVD
                          survivors. The human resource for EVD in place can be
                          repurposed to support MVD outbreak response.

Given the fact that, preparedness for outbreaks of MVD is
                          suboptimal in Guinea and neighbouring countries, this has the
                          potential to hasten cross border transmission of the outbreak,
                          therefore strengthening crossborder collaborations including
                          point of entry screenings is paramount.

-Nelson Mandela

Comment

Translation Google

Marburg fever in Gueckédou: here is the version of the doctor who received the patient

Posted By: Moussa Kounady Camara Last Update Wednesday, Aug 11, 2021 At 11:11 A.M.

Recently cleared of Ebola virus fever and lassa fever, a new epidemic has just announced in the prefecture of Gueckédou, precisely in the district of Tèmessadou M'boket, causing the death of a father aged 46 years.

Informed of the situation, the health authorities went to the field for samples. Tests carried out in the viral laboratories of Guéckédou and that of Conakry revealed a positive case of Marburg fever, another viral disease little known in Guinea.

The forest region, which was the epicenter of Ebola and Lassa fever, is now facing the onset of a new epidemic called Marburg fever. This new hemorrhagic disease has appeared in Tèmessadou M'boket, a district of the Koundou sub-prefecture, located 54 kilometers from Gueckédou.

To date, more than 13 people are under health control and monitored by health workers. The wife of the deceased is on the run. But thanks to the awareness and collaboration of all, the village where she would be a refugee is located, according to the prefect of Gueckédou.

The health worker who performed the first aid explained the condition in which he received the patient long before his death.

“ I took the TDR test which was positive. Then , I noticed that her lips were red. Because a blood problem is complicated in the mouth. I was in front of a bleeding which I could not know the origin. I said that it is preferable that the patient be transferred , ”explained Félix Sandouno, health worker in Tèmessadou M'Boket.

In addition, according to the president of the district of Tèmessadou, the patient who would have died of the disease Marburg, had a mental depression. Faya Moussa Milimono explains his perception of the bleeding in the deceased.

“ He had a mental breakdown. If he was in this state, he was not sleeping. After his death, bleeding was noticed in his mouth. We figured it was his banging on his head that caused the bleeding. But to our surprise, we were called from Conakry, to tell us not to touch the body anymore , ”he said.

This announcement created psychosis among the local population. The body of the deceased received a dignified and secure burial in order to avoid possible contamination. “ When the Red Cross agents arrived for the funeral, people were in fear. And after the funeral, we were told that a mission came from Gueckédou and N'Zérékoré. It was ready s to leave the village , "said the head of the district.

More than 13 contacts have now been identified, including the wife of the deceased who took the loose. The village is therefore quarantined to cut the chain of transmission.

“ As soon as we received the information, the village was completely blocked. Regarding the deceased's wife is on Sunday I received this information on its location but for he provisions are already taken. We have just been told the village where the woman is. We are going to send people to sensitize her so that she can go to the hospital so that she can benefit from the observations made in the other contacts and I am sure that we will succeed again in this mission. As I speak to you, the village is quarantined, ”reassured Tamba Nestor Tonguino, prefect of Gueckédou.

Moussa Kounady Camara

Récemment débarrassée de la fièvre à virus Ebola et de la fièvre lassa, une nouvelle épidémie vient de s’annoncer dans la préfecture de Gueckédou, précisément dans le district de Tèmessadou M’boket, causant la mort d’un père de famille âgé de 46 ans.
                            -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Source: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...em/2021-DON331

Marburg virus disease - Guinea

9 August 2021

On 6 August 2021, the Ministry of Health of Guinea informed WHO of a confirmed case of Marburg virus disease (MVD) in Guéckédou Prefecture, Nzérékoré Region, south-western Guinea. The village where the case resided is near both Sierra Leone and Liberian borders. This is the first known case of Marburg virus disease in Guinea and in West Africa.
                              The case, a male, had onset of symptoms on 25 July. On 1 August he attended a small health facility near his village of residence with symptoms of fever, headache, fatigue, abdominal pain, and gingival hemorrhage. A rapid diagnostic test for malaria was performed which was negative. The patient received supportive care with rehydration, parenteral antibiotics and treatment to manage symptoms.
                              On 2 August 2021, he died in the community and an alert was raised by the sub-prefecture public health care facility to the prefectorial department of health in Guéckédou. Following the alert, an investigation team comprosed of national authorities and WHO experts was deployed to conduct an in-depth investigation. The team collected a post-mortem oral swab sample, which was sent the same day to the viral haemorrhagic fever reference laboratory in Guéckédou.On 3 August a real-time PCR was conducted which confirmed the sample was positive for Marburg virus disease and negative for Ebola virus disease. On 5 August the National Reference Laboratory in Conakry provided confirmation by real-time PCR of the positive Marburg result and on 9 August Institut Pasteur Dakar in Senegal provided reconfirmation that the result was positive for Marburg virus disease and negative for Ebola virus disease.

Public health response

The Ministry of Health (MoH) together with WHO, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ALIMA, Red Cross, UNICEF, The International Organization for Migration and other partners, have initiated measures to control the outbreak and prevent further spread. Contact tracing is ongoing, along with active case searching in health facilities and at the community level. Three family members and a healthcare worker were identified as high-risk close contacts and their health is being monitored.
                              The most recent Ebola virus disease (EVD) outbreak in Guinea was declared over on 19 June 2021 and a network of community health workers was set up as part of this recent outbreak along with a WHO technical team which has remained in country to support the government’s implementation of a post-EVD plan to enhance disease surveillance. This team has now been repurposed to support the government’s response activities to this outbreak of Marburg.
                              The MoH has activated the national and district emergency management committees to coordinate the response including:
                              • A public health emergency operations center has been activated and a base to support response workers will be set up in the sub-prefecture of Koundou.
                              • An in-depth epidemiological investigation is being conducted around the confirmed case to identify the source of the outbreak: to date, a total of 146 contacts were identified and as of 8 August, 145 contacts have been followed-up.
                              • Active searching for suspected cases in the community and health facilities is ongoing.
                              • A surveillance team has been deployed and briefings for health workers are underway, with particular focus on the village where the index case was identified along with villages within a 15 kilometer radius.
                              • Point of entry surveillance is being reinforced and two health control entry points were recently revitalized (Kiesseneye and Nongoa). The three main entry points with Sierra Leone and Liberia are active and the others are under evaluation.
                              • In collaboration with ALIMA, there is an ongoing assessment of the case management capacity in the health facilities.
                              • Risk communication activities are ongoing in the community.
                              • Infection prevention and control activities (IPC) are ongoing and briefing sessions are being conducted on IPC and water and sanitation hygiene (WASH) standards in Koundou health center, along with information sessions for the population of Temessadou Mboket village volunteers on safe and dignified burials

WHO risk assessment

Marburg virus disease (MVD) is a highly virulent, epidemic-prone disease associated with high case fatality rates (CFR 24-90%). In the early course of the disease, clinical diagnosis of MVD is difficult to distinguish from other tropical febrile illnesses, because of the similarities in the clinical symptoms. Differential diagnoses to be excluded include, Ebola virus disease, as well as malaria, typhoid fever, leptospirosis, rickettsial infection, and plague. MVD is transmitted by direct contact with the blood, bodily fluids and/or tissues of infected persons or wild animals (e.g. monkeys and fruit bats).

Currently, there is no specific therapeutic or drug approved for MVD. Nevertheless, supportive care including: close monitoring of vital signs, fluid resuscitation, electrolyte and acid base monitoring along with management of co-infections and organ dysfunction, are critical components of care and optimize patient outcomes and survival. Some monoclonal antibodies (Mabs) are under development and other antivirals are being explored for MVD (e.g. Galidesvir, Favipiravir, Remdesivir) as part of clinical trials, but without clear results in the current moment more evidence and further studies are required. However, these should only be used as part of a randomized controlled trial.

As of 7 August, only one case has been confirmed and all four identified high-risk close contacts are asymptomatic. Investigations are ongoing to identify the source of the infection and additional contacts of the index case.

Guinea has previous experience in managing recurring viral hemorrhagic diseases such as EVD and Lassa fever, but this is the first time that MVD has been reported. The country has a fragile healthcare system which is further exacerbated by multiple disease outbreaks, recurrent epidemics and the COVID-19 pandemic. The response activities to recent outbreaks such as EVD, COVID-19 and Lassa fever likely contributed to early detection and response to Marburg Virus Disease in Guinea.
                              Guinea’s health authorities have responded rapidly to this event, and measures are being quickly implemented to control the outbreak. The affected village is in a remote forested area located near the border with Sierra Leone and Liberia. Cross-border population movement and community mixing between Guinea and neighboring Sierra Leone and Liberia may increase the risk of cross-border spread and as such, the Ministry of Health and Sanitation has proactively assessed the situation together with stakeholders and the district health leadership in Kono and Kailahun districts of Sierra Leone have been alerted. Health authorities in Sierra Leone and Liberia have activated contingency plans and have started public health measures at the points of entry with Guinea. Additionally the potential transmission of the virus between bat colonies and humans also pose an increased risk for cross-border spread.

These factors suggest a high risk at the national level, requiring an immediate and coordinated response with support from international partners. The risk at the regional level is high, based on the fact that the Guéckédou prefecture is well connected to Liberia and Sierra Leone, although authorities are already taking action. The risk associated with the event at the global level is low.

WHO advice

Human-to-human transmission of Marburg virus is primarily associated with direct contact with blood and/or bodily fluids of infected persons. Transmission associated with the provision of healthcare has been reported when appropriate infection control measures are not in place.
                              Health workers should always implement standard precautions when caring for any patient, regardless of their presumed diagnosis. These include hand hygiene, respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette, use of risk based personal protective equipment (PPE), safe injection practices, environmental cleaning and disinfection, appropriate linen and waste management, and decontamination of reusable medical equipment.
                              Other key IPC measures to prevent healthcare associated infections include early recognition (screening, triage) along with isolation and monitoring of suspected cases, investigation of health workers exposed to Marburg cases, in-patient surveillance for Marburg cases, and safe and dignified burial practices in community settings.
                              Health workers caring for patients with suspected or confirmed Marburg virus should apply additional precautionary infection control measures to prevent contact with the patient’s body fluids and/or contaminated surfaces. This includes the following PPE items: face protection (a face shield or a medical mask and goggles), a clean, non-sterile long-sleeved gown, and gloves. This further emphasizes the importance of readily available PPE at health care facilities, appropriate donning/doffing areas, IPC/WASH supplies and training on their proper uses.
                              Laboratory workers are also at risk. Samples taken from humans and animals for investigation of Marburg infection should be handled by trained staff and processed in suitably equipped laboratories.
                              Surveillance activities, including contact tracing and active case searching, must be strengthened within all affected health zones. Thus, it is recommended that neighboring countries heighten their surveillance for Viral Hemorrhagic Fever (VHF) in border communities and health facilities as well as strengthening community engagement on alert reporting and preventive measures.
                              Risk communication and community engagement (RCCE) is key to successfully controlling outbreaks. Raising awareness of the risk factors for Marburg infection and the protective measures individuals can take to reduce human exposure to the virus are important to reducing infections and deaths. Key public health communication messages to be provided to the affected communities include the following:
                              • How to reduce the risk of transmission in the community arising from direct or close contact with infected patients, particularly with their bodily fluids. Close physical contact with Marburg patients should be avoided. Any suspected case, ill at home should not be managed at home, but instead immediately transferred to a health facility for treatment and isolation; during this transfer appropriate personal protective equipment should be worn. Regular hand hygiene should be performed after visiting anyone who is sick.
                              • Leaders and health workers in communities affected by Marburg, should make efforts to ensure that the population is well informed. This refers to informing the community of both the nature of the disease, to avoid further transmission, community stigmatization and encourage early presentation to treatment centers and other necessary outbreak containment measures, including safe burial of the dead. People who have died from Marburg should be promptly and safely buried.To reduce the risk of wildlife-to-human transmission, such as through contact with fruit bats, monkeys, and apes, the following advice should be communicated:
                              • Handle wildlife in conjunction with regular hand hygiene and where possible with gloves and other appropriate protective clothing.
                              • Cook animal products (blood and meat) thoroughly before consumption and avoid consumption of raw meat.
                              • During work or research activities or tourist visits in mines or caves inhabited by fruit bat colonies, people should wear masks and gloves.
                              Based on the current risk assessment and prior evidence on Ebola outbreaks, WHO advises against any restriction of travel and trade to and from Guinea.

Further information

Comment

Working...
                              X