Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigeria: Panic Grips OAU Campus Over Suspected Ebola Case - tested negative

Panic Grips OAU Campus Over Suspected Ebola Case

The Obafemi Awolowo University campus is currently in a state of panic as the university's health centre has a suspected #Ebola patient in it's care.

The female student was said to have walked into the emergency room and told the doctor on duty that she had been in contact with the late Doctor's family that died in Port Harcourt about 2 weeks ago, she said that she had been in contact with the doctor's 3 month old baby.

She presented with stooling and vomiting which had been on for over 3 days now. Immediately there was a panic among the patients who all ran away on hearing the news. She was immediately taken and kept in the isolation ward, the community health unit has been fumigating the entire health centre for some hours now, arrangements have been made for her to moved to a treatment facility.

The Obafemi Awolowo University campus is currently in a state of panic as the university's health centre has a suspected #Ebola patient in it's care. The female student was said to have walked into the emergency room and told the doctor on duty that she had been in contact with the late...
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Re: Nigeria: Panic Grips OAU Campus Over Suspected Ebola Case

OAU female Ebola Virus suspect moved to Lagos

September 9, 2014 by Sodiq Oyeleke 3 Comments

The authorities of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife have said one of its female student is suspected to be a secondary contact of Ebola.

This was contained in a statement by the Public Relations of the university, Mr. Biodun Olarewaju late on Tuesday.

He explained that the suspected student has been evacuated to Lagos for proper attention.

It said, ?A female student of the OAU, Ile-Ife who is suspected to be a secondary contact of the Ebola Virus Disease in Port-Harcourt, presented sick at the University Health Centre.

?After a clinical assessment by the Ebola Surveillance Preparedness and Response Committee of the University, the authorities thereafter contacted the State Ministry of Health, the Federal Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation(WHO).

?The female suspected secondary Ebola contact has since been evacuated to the appropriate facility in Lagos for further investigations to confirm her status.?

While emphasising that the student illness was not a confirmed Ebola case, Olarewaju said appropriate preventive and protective measures have been taken.

He added, ?In the meantime, the National team and the World Health Organisation team on Ebola Control have promptly decontaminated the University Health Centre despite the fact that the case is yet to be confirmed.

?The University authorities wish to emphasise the fact that the case is not a confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease and therefore request all members of the University Community to remain calm as the situation is fully under control.?

Comment

Ebola Panic in OAU as P?Harcourt doctor?s aide falls sick

A female aide of Dr. Iyke Enemuo, the Port Harcourt doctor, who died of the Ebola virus in the Rivers State capital created apprehension at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State on Tuesday when she took ill at the university.
      Our correspondent gathered that the female student had contact with the late doctor and was put under surveillance in Port Harcourt for 21 days before she was certified okay, having tested negative to the virus.
      On her return to OAU to resume her studies, however, she took ill and was walked to the university?s health centre where she was admitted.
      Some students told our correspondent that the lady was bleeding and showing other signs of the Ebola virus.
      This was said to have caused a serious panic among the students of the university.
      The Public Relations Officer of the university, Mr. Abiodun Olanrewaju, told our correspondent that the university would make its findings known to the public on Tuesday night.
      He said, ?It is a suspicion we don?t know yet. We will make our position on it known tonight. We are still working, we are in the office now.?
      The Public Relations Officer of the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital Complex, Ile Ife, Mr. Olu Bello, denied the rumour that a victim of Ebola virus was admitted to the hospital on Monday.
      Bello debunked the rumour in a telephone interview with our correspondent in Osogbo on Tuesday.

He said, ?There is no case of Ebola at the OAUTHC; nothing like that. I also heard something like that. Such rumour has been causing unnecessary tension among the people but it is not true.?
      The Commissioner for Health in the state, Dr. Temitope Ilori, said a student of OAU, who was said to have had contact with the late Enemuo, had been isolated at the Obafemi Awolowo University Health Centre.

Comment

How many days past 21 would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Graupel View Post
          How many days past 21 would that be?
          The Dr. started showing symptoms on Aug 11 and died Aug 22. Depending on when she last had contact with him, her 21 day surveillance period might not end until Sept 11.

[Snip]

After onset of symptoms, on 11 August, and until 13 August, the physician continued to treat patients at his private clinic, and operated on at least two. On 13 August, his symptoms worsened; he stayed at home and was hospitalized on 16 August.

Prior to hospitalization, the physician had numerous contacts with the community, as relatives and friends visited his home to celebrate the birth of a baby.

Once hospitalized, he again had numerous contacts with the community, as members of his church visited to perform a healing ritual said to involve the laying on of hands. During his 6 day period of hospitalization, he was attended by the majority of the hospital?s health care staff.

On 21 August, he was taken to an ultrasound clinic, where 2 physicians performed an abdominal scan. He died the next day.

[Snip]

http://who.int/mediacentre/news/ebol...ember-2014/en/

If she is a contact of the late Dr.'s wife, his sister or the elderly patient who died, the 21 day period would not be up yet.

There are many conflicting reports, it is hard to tell exactly who she had contact with.

Comment

Sounds like multiple exposures, including to the infant. The infant himself appears to have been discarded as a case as he is not in the latest WHO report from Nigeria (unless the old suspect case from July has finally been discarded) as Nigeria is only reporting one suspect case.

I would think if this woman is bleeding, she is a probable case, given her exposure, and further tests are badly needed on the infant.

Comment

Isn't this the same infant that a nurse who came down with ebola had contact with?
              "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

No, I believe that infant was not in Nigeria, but rather an orphan at one of the Ebola centers. Nothing was ever said about the Port Harcourt infant, the child of the deceased doctor. I was wondering what happened to that baby, as well. Given that both parents got Ebola, I would have expected that this 3 month old infant would have too.

Comment

Some reports state that she had direct contact with the Dr.

Though the management of the school initially denied the development but the Oyo State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Temitope Ilori, said the sick student had confessed having contact with the late Port Harcourt doctor, Iyke Enemuo, who died of the EVD after he secretly treated an infected ECOWAS diplomat, Olu-Ibukun Koye, in a hotel in the Rivers State capital.

The commissioner said the female student had been put in the isolation ward.

Ilori said, ?I was told that a student of the OAU who had contact with the doctor who died of the Ebola virus in Port Harcourt walked into the health centre when she was sick.

?She was said to have told doctors at the health centre that she had contact with the Port Harcourt doctor and was put under surveillance but she said she tested negative that time.

[Snip]

http://www.punchng.com/news/oau-stud...t-with-enemuo/

I have also been wondering the outcome of the tests on the 18 month old from Rivers. No relationship to the Dr. was ever mentioned so this could be a patient of his.

Rivers State Government announced on Monday that an 18-month-old baby has shown symptoms of the killer Ebola virus disease (EVD) in the state.

State Commissioner for Health, Samson Parker, who disclosed this at a media briefing in Port Harcourt on the update on Ebola cases in the state, said the child has been quarantined for observation.

He added that test would soon be conducted to know the health status of the child.

[Snip]

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/...ntined-rivers/

Comment

None of the accounts that I have read say anything about tracing her contacts at the University. I hope they are doing so.
                    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Reports of contact tracing here: http://www.punchng.com/news/ebola-oa...medium=twitter

But from EbolaAlert Twitter account? "Breaking News: OAU Student tested and result is NEGATIVE of #EBOLA. cc: @Gidi_Traffic @omojuwa @SaharaReporters @nighealthwatch @BudgITng" with multiple RT's

Comment

The infant has tested negative as well. Is it too optimistic to hope this aide is negative too? The articles indicate vomiting and diarrhea, but no other symptoms. There is one media report above that says her friends say she was bleeding, but that could easily be untrue, spread by the rumor of an Ebola diagnosis.

This one could go either way, IMO.

Update: Looks like a negative:

Ebola:OAU Female Student tests negative

After the initial scare yesterday,the female OAU student who was rushed to Lagos after confessing she came in contact with the late Enemou has tested negative .

Comment

Re: Nigeria: Panic Grips OAU Campus Over Suspected Ebola Case - reports suggest may have tested negative

Nigeria news Today headlines, Nigerian newspapers, breaking news in Nigeria today, current date.25 April 2024.

OAU Student Ebola Status Out, Tests Negative

Article | September 11, 2014 - 9:34am | By Mu'Sodiq Adekunle

A female student of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife who was suspected to be a secondary contact of the Ebola Virus Disease has tested negative.

The Public Relations Officer of OAU made this known to our correspondent on the telephone early Thursday morning.

"The result is out. I can confirm to you that she tested negative. People are just causing panic. I repeat again that there is no cause for alarm. All is well with us in OAU. We are fine and we plead with people to stop spreading rumour that may cause panic," he said.

Comment

Re: Nigeria: Panic Grips OAU Campus Over Suspected Ebola Case - reports suggest may have tested negative

Now negative twice. If not Ebola, perhaps she caught whatever the baby had (as the baby also apparently has tested negative).

Update:

The female student of the Obafemi Awolowo University who was suspected to have the Ebola virus and moved to Lagos State has tested negative to the virus for the second time.

The result of the second Ebola virus test carried out on the blood of the female student on Thursday was said to come out negative again.

The female student have been tested two times since she was moved to Lagos and the two results were negative according to the Public Relations Officer of the OAU, Mr. Abiodun Olanrewaju.

The PRO said that the result of the third test would be out today and doctors from the school were optimistic that it would be negative.

He said, ? The result of the second test has come out and we were told it is negative.

?It remains the third test which is the final. We hope and pray that also will be negative. Expert said that the third test is just to fulfill all righteousness since the first and second tests are negative.?

A government source told our correspondent that Governor Rauf Aregbesola was very happy on hearing that the second test was negative.

The source who pleaded anonymity said the governor had expressed concerned that the state did not have the resources at this time to battle the virus.

Comment

Nigeria news Today headlines, Nigerian newspapers, breaking news in Nigeria today, current date.25 April 2024.

[snip]

Students and staff of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State were on Thursday seen jubilating the outcome of an Ebola Virus Disease test conducted on a suspected female student of the institution.

The suspected student, according to the Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof. Bamitale Omole, tested negative in both the preliminary and confirmation stages.

Comment

Working...
                              X