• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberian Leader says WHO Ebola figures are wrong

France24 interview today, latest update : 2014-10-02:

http://www.france24.com/en/20141001-...ictions-wrong/

Quotes from this article:

The Liberian leader said that an estimate released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) last week was flat-out wrong...

The WHO warned last week that there is a possibility that west Africa could see tens of thousands of new Ebola cases in the coming months...

?I am waiting for the next projections and I hope they will admit that they?ve just been simply wrong, that all of our countries are getting this thing under control,? ...

Sirleaf said there has been a marked slow-down in the number of people reporting to treatment centres, noting that this is a telling sign ?that we are finally on the road to solving this?...

Unquote

Re: Liberian Leader says WHO Ebola figures are wrong

Every single aid agency in Liberia is reporting that they do not have capacity for the ebola patients who are appearing at their facilities. There are a number of videos made by reliable journalists showing patients being turned away.

I do not necessarily agree with any CDC/WHO numbers either, but I do believe the majority of videos that I have seen. I think that the health system of Liberia is not able to service the numbers of people who are sick.

Comment

I agree with you entirely. This begs the question on which I'll refrain from speculating - why should she issue such a statement? I'll await more figures from all parties to have a better view.

Comment

Right now in Liberia there is the Ebola crisis, a more general health crisis, an economic crisis, and peripheral issues with food, jobs and general essential supplies, along with restrictions in movement.

People are scared; the last thing Liberia needs is added social unrest. As such Sirleaf is in a very difficult position; she needs to keep hope, optimism and unity alive, by whatever means it takes so that national despair does not set in. Remember they are only a decade out of a bloody civil war. I doubt she (nor the people of Liberia) can afford to acknowledge and accept the more dire predictions.

Comment

I suspect the economy there is brutal. I assume she thinks that if she announced that they had control over the situation, it might bring back lost business. I doubt her tack will work.

Comment

an estimate can be unreasonable, not "wrong"
            > possibility

the last numbers from WHO don't seem to support the esitmate,
            so hopefully WHO will give new estimates ?!
            I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
            my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchieGirl View Post
              Sirleaf said there has been a marked slow-down in the number of people reporting to treatment centres, noting that this is a telling sign ?that we are finally on the road to solving this?...
              Either that or they have come to the conclusion it is a waste of time as they are not going to get in.

Comment

why so suddenly they came together at the same time to that conclusion

Comment

What is unusual about the statement is that it can be interpreted in a totally different way than she meant it. She meant it in the sense that she feels the projections are inaccurate. But the latest WHO figures for Liberia are actually wrong in the sense of impossible, as they are reporting more confirmed deaths than confirmed cases, meaning that some of the confirmed cases must have died more than once.

So the figures really are wrong, just not in the sense she means it.

Comment

With relation to the Liberian reporting - the oddity is growing in SitRep 140 (Oct 2) - 934 confirmed cases with 977 confirmed deaths. Margibi county is reporting 43 conf. deaths from 41 conf. cases and Montserrado County is reporting 609 confirmed deaths from 357 confirmed cases.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lib.png
Views:	2
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	662088

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
                    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

September 16th report was the first time Montserrado conf. deaths exceeded conf. cases and the gap has grown since then. No one noticed until it affected the cumulative total!
                      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

I wonder if this is merely a spreadsheet error. I notice the cases are listed in the order: suspected, probable, confirmed. But the deaths are confirmed, probable, and then suspected.

I wonder if some clerk in Montserrado is simply putting a number in the wrong cell, throwing all the counts off.

Comment

Originally posted by alert View Post
                          I wonder if this is merely a spreadsheet error. I notice the cases are listed in the order: suspected, probable, confirmed. But the deaths are confirmed, probable, and then suspected.

I wonder if some clerk in Montserrado is simply putting a number in the wrong cell, throwing all the counts off.
                          That was the first thing that popped into my head also.

Comment

WHO usually gives the sum of confirmed,suspected,probable cases

should that sum still be (somehow) correct ?

Comment

Working...
                            X