No announcement yet.

Ebola outbreak: Canadian MD in self-imposed quarantine after work in Liberia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebola outbreak: Canadian MD in self-imposed quarantine after work in Liberia

Ebola outbreak: Canadian MD in quarantine after work in Liberia

Andrea Janus, CTVNews.ca
    Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:21AM EDT

A Canadian doctor is in self-imposed quarantine after spending nearly a month in West Africa treating patients in the deadly Ebola outbreak that has claimed nearly 700 lives.

Dr. Azaria Marthyman of Victoria, B.C. was among a handful of Canadian health-care workers who travelled to Liberia, one of three countries hit by the outbreak. He was part of a North American team from the Christian relief organization Samaritan?s Purse.

Dr. Marthyman worked at the agency?s facility in Liberia?s capital, Monrovia, before returning to Canada last Saturday. While he has not tested positive for the disease, he has quarantined himself as a precaution.

?Azaria is symptom-free right now and there is no chance of being contagious with Ebola if you are not exhibiting symptoms,? Melissa Strickland, a spokesperson for Samaritan?s Purse, told CTV Vancouver Island.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ebola-o...#ixzz38sD1yG1V
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Re: Ebola outbreak: Canadian MD in self-imposed quarantine after work in Liberia

Azaria Marthyman, Ebola doctor, returns home to Victoria

Doctor reportedly in self-imposed quarantine after U.S. colleague struck down with virus

CBC NewsPosted: Jul 29, 2014 11:16 AM PTLast Updated: Jul 29, 2014 11:35 AM PT
    Dr. Martyman declined a CBC request for an interview by email.

"I regret to inform you that I am declining all requests for media interviews," the email reads. "The situation in Liberia is changing rapidly, and I don't have the most up-to-date information. Therefore, to avoid giving out any information that might not be accurate, I am referring all interview requests to our international headquarters, because staff there are closest to the situation in Liberia."
    Marthyman posted many updates on the Samaritan's Purse blog while he was in Liberia. On July 24, he posted that he was headed home.

"I am doing very well physically and emotionally, having worked every day since my arrival in Liberia, and today having to say goodbye to so many people," the post says.
    A Victoria doctor who was part of a medical group that travelled to Liberia earlier this month to treat victims of the Ebola virus has returned home, while two of his U.S. colleagues infected with the deadly virus fight for their lives.
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Re: Ebola outbreak: Canadian MD in self-imposed quarantine after work in Liberia

National News

Group says B.C. doctor not in Ebola quarantine

by Canadian Press - BC Local News
      posted Jul 29, 2014 at 5:16 PM? updated Jul 29, 2014 at 7:09 PM
      Samaritan's Purse had told CTV News that Dr. Azaria Marthyman, who returned to Victoria on Saturday after spending several weeks in Liberia, had voluntarily placed himself under quarantine at home as a precaution.

But group spokesman Jeff Adams said the information given to the network was incorrect and it turns out Marthyman was just taking some time off with his wife and children to decompress from his trip.

"He flew home on Saturday ? very healthy, no symptoms at all," said Adams, who apologized for the mixup.

"He decided that it had been a couple of pretty exhausting weeks in Liberia and contacted his staff and said, 'Would you cancel my appointments for the week? I just want to stay home with my family.'"

Full text:
      -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
      X