Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liberia - Ebola: 10 212 confirmed cases, 4 573 deaths (WHO, April 22, 2015)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberia Ebola Daily Sitrep
    no. 242 for 12th January 2015
    Ministry of Health

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lib.png
Views:	113
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	721603
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

no. 248 for 18th January 2015
      Ministry of Health

Views:	51
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	721964
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

• Liberia Ebola Daily Sitrep no. 250 for 20th January 2015 Ministry of Health

Views:	62
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	722352

Comment

no. 255 for 25th January 2015
          Ministry of Health

Views:	60
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	722881

Comment

• Situation summary
            Data published on 29 January 2015

Name:	Ebola.png
Views:	53
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	722883

Comment

• Situation summary
              Data published on 04 February 2015

Name:	Ebola.png
Views:	53
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	723510

Comment

no. 268 for 7th February 2015
                Ministry of Health

Views:	56
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	723980

Comment

no. 270 for 9th February 2015
                  Ministry of Health

Views:	57
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	724259

Comment

no. 277 for 16th February 2015
                    Ministry of Health
                    http://www.mohsw.gov.lr/documents/Si...15%20final.pdf

Name:	image_18931.png
Views:	112
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	724991

Comment

no. 283 for 22th February 2015
                      Ministry of Health

Views:	51
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	725305

Comment

no. 290 for 1st March 2015
                        Ministry of Health

Views:	48
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	725985

Comment

• UPDATE 1-Liberia releases last known Ebola patient from care

Thu Mar 5, 2015 12:27pm EST
                          By James Harding Giahyue

MONROVIA, March 5 (Reuters) - Liberia's last Ebola patient left hospital on Thursday to cheers of delight from friends and family, a year after the West African country reported its first case.

Liberia's capital, Monrovia, was once at the heart of an epidemic that has killed nearly 10,000 across West Africa. Liberia has reported no new Ebola cases in 13 days, but can be deemed Ebola-free only after 42 days have passed -- double the normal incubation period for the virus.

Dressed in a bright orange T-shirt and multi-coloured beads, a joyous Beatrice Yardolo greeted a small crowd outside the Chinese Ebola treatment centre in the Paynesville suburb of Monrovia, where she was hospitalised for two weeks.
                          "Today signifies a very great day for our country. When the news was bad, we reported it. We stand here today to signify good news," said Tolbert Nyenswah, head of Liberia's Ebola response.

However, Nyenswah called on Liberians to observe strict measures to eradicate the disease, adding more than 100 Ebola contacts were still under surveillance.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
                          -Nelson Mandela

Comment

no. 301 for 12th March 2015
                            Ministry of Health

Views:	50
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	726988

Comment

• Ebola Situation Report - 18 March 2015
                              Corrected on 19 March 2015

SUMMARY

A total of 150 new confirmed cases of Ebola virus disease (EVD) were reported in the week to 15 March, compared with 116 the previous week. There were 95 new confirmed cases reported in Guinea: the highest weekly total for the country in 2015. Sierra Leone reported 55 new confirmed cases over the same period: the country’s lowest weekly total since late June 2014. Liberia reported no new confirmed cases for the third consecutive week. March 15 was day 12 since the final patient in Liberia had a second negative test for EVD (42 days must elapse before transmission can be considered to have ended).

A total of 12 districts in Guinea and Sierra Leone reported a confirmed case in the week to 15 March, all of which lie on a geographically contiguous arc in and around Conakry to the north and Freetown to the south. An additional 4 districts have reported a confirmed case in the past 21 days: Kono and Tonkolili in central and eastern Sierra Leone, and Lola and Macenta in eastern Guinea.

Though transmission is currently confined to a relatively narrow geographic corridor, the population is highly mobile, with a great deal of movement throughout surrounding districts and countries. Limiting the movements of cases and contacts is challenging but essential to prevent the seeding of new outbreaks.

Key response indicators for Guinea suggest that there remain significant challenges to overcome before transmission is brought under control. Of 49 total reported EVD deaths in the week to 15 March, almost half (23) were identified post-mortem in the community. In the week to 8 March, a low proportion (28%) of confirmed cases arose from registered contacts, and there were a reported 18 unsafe burials. Taken together, these indicators suggest that the outbreak in Guinea is still being driven by unknown chains of transmission.

In the week to 15 March a total of 125 suspected cases of EVD were reported in Liberia, none of whom tested positive for EVD. All contacts associated with the last known chain of transmission have now completed 21-day follow-up.

By contrast with Guinea, key response indicators for Sierra Leone present a more promising outlook. In the week to 8 March over two-thirds (67%) of confirmed cases came from registered contacts, whilst in the week to 15 March, 6 of 62 total EVD-confirmed deaths were identified post-mortem in the community. There was 1 reported unsafe burial over the same period. However, there are still areas where most new cases arise from unknown chains of transmission. Kambia, a district north of Freetown on the border with the Guinean prefecture of Forecariah, reported 7 new cases in the week to 8 March, 5 of which came from post-mortem testing of people who had died in the community and who were not known to be contacts of a previous case.
                              COUNTRIES WITH WIDESPREAD AND INTENSE TRANSMISSION

There have been over 25 000 reported confirmed, probable, and suspected cases of EVD in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone (table 1), with over 10 000 reported deaths (outcomes for many cases are unknown). A total of 95 new confirmed cases were reported in Guinea, 0 in Liberia, and 55 in Sierra Leone in the 7 days to 15 March.

The total number of confirmed and probable cases is similar in males and females (table 3). Compared with children (people aged 14 years and under), people aged 15 to 44 are approximately three times more likely to be affected. People aged 45 and over are nearly four times more likely to be affected than children.

A total of 852 confirmed health worker infections have been reported in Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone; there have been 492 reported deaths (table 5).

Table 1: Confirmed, probable, and suspected cases reported by Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone
                              Guinea Confirmed 2966 204 1829
                              Probable 395 * 395
                              Suspected 28 *
                              Total 3389 204 2224
                              Liberia** Confirmed 3150 0
                              Probable 1879 *
                              Suspected 4497 *
                              Total 9526 0 4264
                              Sierra Leone Confirmed 8487 194 3325
                              Probable 287 * 208
                              Suspected 2977 * 158
                              Total 11 751 194 3691
                              Total Confirmed 14 603 398
                              Probable 2561 *
                              Suspected 7502 *
                              Total 24 666 398 10 179

Data are based on official information reported by ministries of health. These numbers are subject to change due to ongoing reclassification, retrospective investigation and availability of laboratory results. *Not reported due to the high proportion of probable and suspected cases that are reclassified. Data not available. ...

LIBERIA
                              • Key performance indicators for the EVD response in Liberia are shown in table 4.
                              • No new confirmed cases were reported in the week to 15 March: the third consecutive week in which no new confirmed cases have been reported. March 15 was day 12 since the final patient in Liberia had a second negative test for EVD: 42 days must elapse before transmission can be considered to have ended. Once the 42-day period has elapsed, an additional period of heightened vigilance will be required.
                              • No counties have now reported a confirmed case within the past 21 days (figure 5). All contacts associated with the last known chain of transmission have now completed 21-day follow-up. Surveillance and early warning systems detected 125 suspected cases in the week to 15 March, none of whom have tested positive for EVD.
                              • Locations of the 18 operational Ebola treatment centres (ETCs) in Liberia are shown in figure 6. All of the 12 that have been assessed met minimum infection prevention and control standards as of February. 12 non-Ebola health-care facilities were also assessed (2 in Montserrado county, 10 in Nimba county): 5 (42%) met minimum IPC standards.
                              • Case fatality rates for people hospitalized with confirmed EVD for whom a definitive outcome was reported were 53%, 52% and 50% for the months of October, November and December, respectively. On average, it took 2.6 days between the onset of symptoms and hospitalization of a confirmed, probable or suspected case during February.
                              • Locations of the 5 operational laboratories in Liberia are shown in figure 7. A total of 289 samples were tested in the week to 15 March, none of which tested positive for EVD.
                              • http://apps.who.int/ebola/current-si...-18-march-2015
                              "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
                              -Nelson Mandela

Comment

• Liberia official: New patient tests positive for Ebola

Jonathan Paye-Layleh, Associated Press 1:55 p.m. EDT March 20, 2015

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) ? A patient has tested positive for Ebola in Liberia's capital, officials said Friday, deflating hopes that the country had beaten the disease after weeks with no new cases.
                                Kateh said: "It is confirmed we've got the first test and it is confirmed."

Tolbert Nyenswah, who runs Liberia's Ebola response, also said he had been told the test result was positive. He said the patient has been transferred to an Ebola treatment center in Monrovia.

In a worrying sign, it is not clear where the woman became infected. She doesn't seem to be linked to any of the people on a list of contacts of other Ebola patients, Kateh said.
                                http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...bola/25087361/
                                -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
                                X