Congo confirms first Ebola cases
JOHANNESBURG — The Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, Aug. 24 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
Last updated Sunday, Aug. 24 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
...Last week, the World Health Organization insisted the Congo deaths were not caused by Ebola. But on Sunday, a WHO spokesman said the earlier statement was based on “premature information.” Now the global organization says it is waiting for further tests in Congo...
...The outbreak has been “contained” in an area in Equateur province...Other reports said the government is setting up a quarantine area with tight controls for 100 kilometres around the site of the outbreak...
...The government says the samples in Congo suggest the presence of the Sudanese strain of the virus, while the West African outbreak was caused by a different strain, the Zaire strain, the most lethal form of the virus.
One of the two samples in Congo, however, was officially reported to contain a mixture of the Sudanese and Zaire strains – a claim that puzzled many Ebola analysts on Sunday...