• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chad: more than 2,000 dromedaries killed near Mandélia

Translation Google

Chad: more than 2,000 dromedaries killed near Mandélia

Tchadinfos
    August 3, 2021

A disease of unknown origin has killed more than 2,000 dromedaries, in a herders camp, around ten from Mandélia, capital of the department of Chari, in Chari Baguirmi, a neighboring province to the south-east of N'Djamena .

Breeders testify to have observed the successive death of their animals for more than two months. For the moment, we are still awaiting the results of samples taken by technicians from the Ministry of Livestock and Animal Productions. The prefect of Chari, Oumar Mbarkoutou Saboune, confides that he has entered his line managers in writing to inform them of the situation.

Children with measles without care

In this camp located about ten kilometers from Mandélia, the owners of these camels are distraught. Some have even lost all of their herds. Without any other resource, most of these camel drivers can no longer even care for their sick children, who are also exposed to hunger.

“ The children have been attacked by measles for a few weeks, but we have no money for their care, ” blows a father in the camp. “ Among us, there are some who have lost up to 100 camel heads and others, many more. When an epidemic arrives, it spares no one. We have lost a lot. We ask the Transitional Military Council (CMT) and its government to help us, ”calls Djibrine Hassabalrassoul.

After the extermination of their cattle, the herders are obliged to stop the transhumance, in order to remain in place. Dame Amne Hamit, in her fifties, seated on an old straw mat in front of her bivouac, has difficulty looking at her grandsons crying and writhing in pain from measles. “ What is happening to us is indescribable. We are homeless, without cereal seeds to feed us. The children are sick, and we cannot afford to take them to a health center. We implore God to help us, since we are in the middle of the rainy season. In addition, there are enough mosquitoes here, ”Ms. Amne Hamit explains.

Waiting for the elevator to return

The lady recalls that, in the past, when their animals were still alive, they contributed to the socioeconomic development of this country. Now that they have nothing, she emphasizes, the breeders are turning to their country and, above all, to the new president of Chad. “ My son, look in my bivouac there, there is nothing, not even a liter of butter or a coro of cereal. If you see me unhappy, it's because I have nothing. Otherwise, in the past, when you arrived, I was going to welcome you at least with a calabash of milk and accompany you back with a liter of butter “, she regrets.

“ We are worried that our young children will turn into bandits, because there is nothing here. So they don't manage to eat well or have a little means for their needs. So, we really ask the State to think of us “, asks a 60-year-old. According to him, it is difficult to replenish the lost herds.

With Progress

Une maladie d’origine inconnue a tué plus de 2 000 dromadaires, dans un campement d’éleveurs, à une dizaine de Mandélia, chef-lieu du département du Chari, dans le Chari Baguirmi, provi…
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela
Working...
X