Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puerto Rico - COVID-19 cases - 34,533 cases; 477 fatalities

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shiloh
    replied
    Source: https://www.elnuevodia.com/noticias/...orico-2555292/


    Positive cases of coronavirus rise to 39 in Puerto Rico
    The Department of Health assured that this represents that there are between 195 to 390 infected in the community without identifying
    Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 6:45 AM
    Updated on: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 7:04 AM
    By ELNUEVODIA.COM

    The Health Department confirmed this morning that positive cases of coronavirus increased from 31 to 39, while deaths from the disease on the island remain at two.

    According to a press release, this responds to five positive results obtained by the Public Health Laboratory and three by the Veterans Hospital.

    Given this, the director of the coronavirus medical task force, Dr. Segundo Rodr?guez Quilichini, urged citizens to stay at home to contain the spread of the virus, since the number of infected could be higher.

    "This represents that, at this time, in Puerto Rico we have approximately 195 to 390 unidentified people in the community, and these people have the ability to infect others exponentially. Therefore, we ask that you stay at home. . The goal of everyone in Puerto Rico should be to reduce the spread of this virus to the minimum possible. We all have to unite as a people in this effort, "said the doctor ...

    Leave a comment:


  • Ronan Kelly
    replied
    The Latest: Germany approves aid package for small companies
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    MARCH 23, 2020 08:03 AM

    ...


    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico — The second death from COVID-19 in Puerto Rico is a tourist from the United States.

    The Health Department says the victim is a 73-year-old man who was vacationing in the U.S. territory with his wife and had other health problems.

    The island has 31 confirmed coronavirus cases and at least 69 pending test results. Police have detained and cited more than 200 people for violating a two-week curfew imposed last week.
    ...
    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/article241420956.html

    Leave a comment:


  • Shiloh
    replied
    Source: https://www.prensa-latina.cu/index.p...en-puerto-rico


    Latin Press]
    Sunday March 22, 2020
    Covid-19 cases in Puerto Rico rise to 23
    San Juan, Mar 22 (Prensa Latina) With a slow rate of evidence, Covid-19 cases in Puerto Rico have risen to 23 today confirmed by the Ministry of Health, so the government will reinforce social distancing.

    "It behooves us to be rigorous with the measures established by the government to stay at home and regularly incorporate those behaviors that allow us to avoid contracting the virus and stop its spread," said the acting Minister of Public Health, Concepci?n Qui?ones de Longo .

    The official specified that the two new cases correspond to a 54-year-old woman and a 75-year-old man, and belong to the western Mayaguez region.

    With the new figures, the total number of cases in Puerto Rico is 275 tests carried out, of which 23 have been positive for Covid-19, 183 negative and 69 awaiting results.

    Among the negative cases, there is a deceased woman in the neighboring municipality of Carolina with suspicion of having the virus, whose samples were taken by the Bureau of Forensic Sciences, which confirmed that she was not infected.

    One of the positive cases is that of the 68-year-old Italian tourist who arrived on the Costa Luminosa cruise ship and died in a hospital in the capital's tourist area of ​​the County.

    Her husband of 70 years remained in isolation in the same hospital center, because after being asymptomatic she tested positive for the coronavirus.

    Qui?ones de Longo recalled that hand washing is essential, in addition to cleaning surfaces and avoiding leaving the house in case of illness.

    The director of the Covid-19 Task Force, Segundo Rodr?guez Quilichini, expressed that our call is to social distancing and we ask the citizens to stay at home.

    "Those people who, due to an extraordinary situation, have to leave their home to buy an article of basic necessity, must follow the recommendations that the health professionals offer us to avoid the spread of Covid-19," said the doctor.




    Leave a comment:


  • Ronan Kelly
    replied

    Puerto Rico confirms the first death from coronavirus on the island
    18 mins ago




    The Puerto Rico Department of Health confirmed this Saturday the death of a 68-year-old Italian tourist with previous pathology as the first fatality from COVID-19 in Puerto Rico.


    The woman had arrived on the island on March 8 with her husband on the cruise ship “Costa Luminosa”.

    The first to report on the death of the woman was the local Health Department, but later confirmed by the Secretary of Public Affairs of La Fortaleza – headquarters of the Executive – Osvaldo Soto, in a press release.
    ...
    https://spainsnews.com/puerto-rico-c...on-the-island/

    Leave a comment:


  • Rose
    replied
    Puerto Rico 14

    Puerto Rico, which has taken some of the United States’ most dramatic measures to control the spread of the coronavirus, reported eight new positive cases on Friday, including several with continental U.S. and Florida ties.

    Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...#storylink=cpy

    https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...241363256.html

    Leave a comment:


  • Shiloh
    replied
    Source: https://www.metro.pr/pr/noticias/2020/03/16/769757.html

    Cases continue to rise
    There are already five confirmed cases, while they wait for the results of four other people with and without a travel history
    By Lyanne Mel?ndez Garc?a
    Monday 16, March 2020 04:30

    As tension continues among Puerto Ricans over the emergence of the coronavirus, COVID-19, Puerto Rico authorities confirmed that there are already five positive cases of the pandemic disease.

    The most recent of them was a 65-year-old woman who traveled to New York and had symptoms, for which she is being treated at a health center in the Mayag?ez region. The test was performed in the Public Health Laboratory of the Department of Health.

    Other confirmed cases are the couple of Italian tourists who arrived on the island on the Costa Luminosa cruise, the 87-year-old Californian tourist transferred by helicopter from another cruise ship to Mayag?ez and a 72-year-old Puerto Rican, cancer patient, with no travel history.

    The Italian woman is 68 years old and had symptoms, but her husband of 70 years is asymptomatic. At Saturday's press conference it was not clear how Dr. Fernando Cabanillas' cancer patient was infected, who has no travel history, because although he has a family member who had traveled to California, this has not been tested to confirm if he has the disease, or if the man could have been infected by another route. Officials referred the question to state epidemiologist Carmen Deseda, but was not present at the conference.

    Despite the first suspected cases being reported since Sunday, March 8, the first confirmations were delayed by evidence sent to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta.

    According to official information provided by the Department of Health, in addition to the five confirmed cases, there are nine others that yielded negative results.

    In addition, there are four cases (two with a travel history and two without a history) awaiting results: an 86-year-old man from the metropolitan region and an 85-year-old woman from the Ponce region. In total, there are 15 cases handled by the authorities. Three are patients over 80 years old; two are over 70 years old; two are in their 60s; two others, in the 50s; one, in the 30s; and four, in their 20s.

    Until the closing of this edition, there was no new information about a man from Ponce who presented symptoms and was on National Zalsa Day, presumably sharing with a Panamanian who tested positive for the disease and who while visiting here had the symptom.

    Nor had the case of a person in Canada who traveled to Puerto Rico and tested positive been reported. Authorities said Saturday that they had been unable to communicate.

    For its part, the Veterans Hospital directly handles their cases, it has reported six, of which four gave negative results.

    The Government promised to offer daily update of the cases. As of Wednesday, it was determined that hospitals where patients are in isolation will not be reported. It is considered to designate a single hospital to attend to these cases, but that determination has not yet entered into force. Governor Wanda V?zquez indicated that an announcement in that direction would be made earlier in the week.





    Leave a comment:


  • Gert van der Hoek
    replied
    Governor confirms the first three cases of COVID-19 in Puerto Rico

    Governor Wanda V?zquez Garced confirmed this Friday, late at night, the first three cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Puerto Rico, and that she accepted the resignation of the Secretary of the Department of Health, Rafael Rodr?guez.

    The Government of Puerto Rico handles 11 suspected cases, three positive, five negative and three to be determined. Meanwhile, the Veterans Hospital treats another 6 cases, four negative and two to be determined.

    At a press conference tonight, V?zquez Garced also announced new island-wide prevention measures before COVID-19.

    -From March 16 to March 30, they announce school closings for 14 days. The goal is to "protect" the most vulnerable populations.

    -Also the total closure of the entrance of cruises to Puerto Rico, including the ferry.

    -Public services will be offered only to essential employees (police, fire and health officials). Tomorrow, Saturday, the Constitutional Cabinet will meet to determine how they will proceed with public services.

    Leave a comment:


  • Puerto Rico - COVID-19 cases - 34,533 cases; 477 fatalities

    hat tip to a friend of FluTrackers


    Pedro Mart?nez
    @pmartinezvelez
    ?
    1h
    Gobernadora hace llamado a la calma en lo que se esperan los resultados del primer caso sospechoso de #coronavirus en #PuertoRico. Pudieran tardar 24 a 48 horas. #COVID2019 #covid19 #coronaviruspr
    @DeptSaludPR


    -----------------------------------


    @DavidBegnaud
    ? 16m
    Puerto Rico Governors says the 1st suspected case of #coronavirus on the island involves a 68yo Italian woman who arrived on the island via a cruise ship. She presented with pneumonia symptoms. She's isolated at a hospital in San Juan. CDC will test samples to confirm infection.

    David Begnaud
    @DavidBegnaud
    ?
    D8m
    NEW: The Italian woman who got off a cruise ship in Puerto Rico with symptoms that officials suspect is coronavirus was onboard a Costa Luminosa cruise which made its very 1st stop in PR, ever. 2,500 ppl were on ship; about 40% walked around Old San Juan, says Tourism Director.

    David Begnaud
    @DavidBegnaud
    ? 1m
    To reiterate: The Puerto Rico Governors says a woman got off a cruise ship on the island even though she felt sick. There's a suspicion that she has coronavirus. The island will now rely on the CDC to confirm whether thru testing whether or not the Italian woman has the virus
    Last edited by Missouriwatcher; March 21, 2020, 05:50 AM.
Working...
X