Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus fatalities in the US, daily figures, charts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronan Kelly
    commented on 's reply
    I'd be curious to see the completion rate of reporting this past few weeks.

• JJackson
    commented on 's reply

Looking at the graph at the link it is difficult to think of a mechanism. Nearly all the big killers are on the COVID comorbidity list. Things you would expect to fall like road deaths and homicides are way down the list.

• etudiant
    replied
    The virus outbreak is actually reducing the national death rate!
    The CDC keeps track of weekly mortality in the US and the data available for the most recent week (ending March 7) shows about 48,000 deaths, sharply down from the normal 55,000.

See: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2y2gvh2q7a...ences.pdf?dl=0

The chart is quite striking, the effect of the virus has been to make the US safer.

Leave a comment:

• etudiant
    replied
    There are about 7800 deaths per day on average in the US.
    So the virus risks increasing the death rate by about 25%, concentrated among the older population.
    Not sure that the economic collapse it generates has been factored in.

Leave a comment:

• Ronan Kelly
    replied
    Coronavirus deaths each day:

3/18: 38
    3/19: 43
    3/20: 54
    3/21: 79
    3/22: 105
    3/23: 124
    3/24: 157
    3/25: 220
    3/26: 280
    3/27: 361
    3/28: 514

If the current rate of growth continues, we could see 6-10,000 additional coronavirus fatalities in the US within the next week ending the week on a toll of up to 2,000 deaths per day.

Leave a comment:

• Coronavirus fatalities in the US, daily figures, charts.

For the past several years, I have been plotting and comparing week to week influenza mortality data gathered by the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) mortality surveillance system. The number of coded flu deaths is only a part of the estimated flu deaths each week. I added US coronavirus deaths by week to the plot and got this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Influenza Mortality.png Views:	415 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	842587 I know it's not apples to apples, the estimated number of flu deaths is about 6 times higher than the numbers recorded by the NCHS, but there is every reason to believe that the actual number of coronavirus fatalities is also larger than the subset that gets confirmed. There has only been 4 weeks of data. Where is this going to end up?
Working...
X