No announcement yet.

Many Nigerians experiencing loss of smell, taste, suggesting spike in COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Nigerians experiencing loss of smell, taste, suggesting spike in COVID-19

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/...-covid-19.html

Many Nigerians experiencing loss of smell, taste, suggesting spike in COVID-19
    June 24, 2020Ebuka Onyeji

Sometime in mid-May, Joseph Osuigwe, 35, started noticing a sudden loss of the senses of taste and smell. He could not perceive the aroma of his wife’s food; he thought her food that used to be irresistible tasted bland. The symptoms became worse.

“I started noticing I could no longer smell my bathing soap or perfume. I concluded that something was wrong when I bought a balm and rubbed it all over my nose but felt nothing,” said Mr Osuigwe, a human rights activist.

The medical term of what Mr Osuigwe was experiencing is anosmia – the loss of sense of smell, and ageusia – an accompanying diminished sense of taste.

In April, the World Health Organisation (WHO) listed the loss of smell and taste as some of the less common symptoms of coronavirus also known as COVID-19.

In recent weeks several Nigerians have taken to social media to complain of symptoms similar to that experienced by Mr Osuigwe, during or after treating a fever.

The increasing complaints have triggered a coronavirus scare among Nigerians. Surprisingly there has been no official response from health authorities about the symptoms.
    Spike?

A post by Tunde Ajayi, a Twitter user asking Lagosians to click ‘like’ on his thread if they have experienced the sudden loss of smell and taste garnered more than 3,300 likes within a day.

Mr Osuigwe said on realising that he could have been exposed to the coronavirus, he tried to get tested but was initially turned away. He was later tested after he insisted.

“I went to the NCDC (Nigeria Centre for Disease Control) COVID-19 testing centre in Abuja to test myself but they refused to attend to me. Some staff told me what I have presented is not really a symptom of COVID-19 because I have not travelled out and there is no record I have contact with a known COVID19 patient that tested positive.

“They said it’s a minor thing that will clear at anything but when I persisted for two days, they reluctantly tested me”, he said.

Mr Osuigwe tested positive for COVID-19....
Working...
X