Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUESTION: Wouldn't it be better to quarantine a plane passenger to the FRONT of the plane. That way anything aerosol wouldn't be flying around to the folks in front of them? (I know they'll hopefully have a mask on, at that point, but ALL precautions should be taken).

Comment

Originally posted by Readymom View Post

QUESTION: Wouldn't it be better to quarantine a plane passenger to the FRONT of the plane. That way anything aerosol wouldn't be flying around to the folks in front of them? (I know they'll hopefully have a mask on, at that point, but ALL precautions should be taken).
      Interesting thought - so I had a look around. It seems the air circulation is divided up into seat sections and you breathe a 50% new and 50% recycled brew with a segment of your fellow passengers. They also have Hepa filters built into the system - and every article I have read suggests that you are at a much greater risk of contamination by touching something rather than breathing it in. Keep your hand sanitizer handy.

Refs:http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34708785/n.../#.XkcbXDL7S00 https://www.askthepilot.com/question...n-air-quality/

This might also explain why they only track people in rows near to confirmed passengers. Thanks Readymom - good question.
      "The only security we have is our ability to adapt."

Comment

Source: https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/14/docto...tion-12243735/

Doctor’s surgery in Portsmouth closed over suspected coronavirus infection
        James Hockaday
        Friday 14 Feb 2020 9:49 pm

A GP practice in Portsmouth has been put on lockdown after a woman with suspected coronavirus visited for a check-up. Several patients were ordered to leave Kingston Crescent Surgery at 4.30pm this afternoon due to an ’emergency’. It is understood the alarm was raised over a woman who had recently flown into Gatwick Airport who has now gone to hospital for tests...

Comment

• kiwibird
          kiwibird commented
          Editing a comment
          I know someone who has recently flown into Gatwick - from Asia - and there was no obvious information at the airport - or provided by the airline - that stated you should telephone ahead if you subsequently became unwell. It is hardly surprising that people are just showing up at surgeries - probably not wanting to make a fuss.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1824...week-brighton/ Coronavirus test results take more than a week in Brighton

By Harry Bullmore @HarryBullmore
        A WOMAN who was advised to self-isolate amid the UK coronavirus outbreak has been left in the dark for more than a week.

Melanie Delves has confined herself to her home after returning from a holiday in Thailand and showing symptoms of the illness.

Comment

• kiwibird
          kiwibird commented
          Editing a comment
          Comments to the above article
          Pete Pete4 hrs ago
          4As one family who have been in quarantine - just get on with it. There are so many in the same position. We know of 12 families locally and there are probably 100's at home right now. It has worked, no one has caught it. Wait til the results come, they will call you. They are busy. They will advise. 14 days after contact is the rule at the mo. Patience ...
          Last Updated: 58 mins ag

• kiwibird
          kiwibird commented
          Editing a comment
          Another comment:
          The system has been faultless up until it comes to getting your results back.
          My friend who I was travelling with who lives in Hampshire got her (negative) results back within 24 hours by way of phone call from the hospital that she was tested at. Her swabs went to a laboratory in Southampton.
          I think the issue in Sussex is that the swabs go to London, and then after that, nobody knows who is accountable for giving the results to the patients.
          I rang Eastbourne hospital to see if they had my results, they said I have to call Public Health England, NHS 111 or my GP (which i've been doing on a daily basis). I have also been put through to Surrey and Sussex Health Protection team. All the different departments just tell you to ring the other department so you end up going round and round in circles.
          We obviously understand that this is all new, so expect that there may be a few issues, but my friend in Hampshire got a phone call within 24 hours with her results, and this lady (& myself) still don't know how we will find out our results.
          All we want is for it to be confirmed as to how we get our results - do we call our GP everyday or do we wait for a call from the hospital where we were tested?

As of 19 February, a total of 5,216 people have been tested, of which 5,207 were confirmed negative and 9 positive.

Comment

Source: https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/sur...ident-17836729

It has been confirmed that a Surrey resident has tested positive for coronavirus.

Public Health England said in a joint statement with Surrey County Council (SCC) on Friday evening (February 28) that a resident had become one of the latest confirmed cases. There are now 20 in total across the UK.

No further detail has been given about the individual who has contracted the illness, but work is now being done to notify people who had close contact with the confirmed COVID-19 case...

More at : https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51683428

Comment

Source: https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...oucestershire/

Patient tests positive for coronavirus in Gloucestershire
            46 mins ago

A person in Gloucestershire has tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the UK to 23.

They are one of three cases confirmed today by the Government. The others are in Berkshire and Herefordshire.

Two of the patients had recently travelled back from Italy while the other had returned from Asia, Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty said...

Comment

As of 29 February at 9am, a total of 10,483 people have been tested in the UK, of which 10,460 were confirmed negative and 23 positive.

The Department of Health and Social Care will be publishing updated data on this page every day at 2pm until further notice. This data is accurate as of 9am to ensure accurate data is published in a timely manner.

Information for the public on the outbreak of coronavirus in China, including the current situation in the UK and information about the virus and its symptoms.
              ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
              Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Comment

I do not think we have the correct mindset in the UK yet.
                My son phoned me yesterday to tell me he had had to ask a woman to leave at work yesterday. He is a mental disability nurse working with in a nursing home secure unit with all elderly patients who are on multiple medications for their disabilities. The lady was visiting a patient recounting how she had just got back from a Holiday in Tenerife but it had been a wash out as her hotel was only one mile away from the outbreak hotel. There was a large sign outside saying do not enter if you have been in an of the following countries ... but she said she had not noticed it. An outbreak in this population in that environment would probably kill 10% of his patients.

Comment

Source: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...rpool-17863228

...The first case of coronavirus in Liverpool has been confirmed.

Mayor Joe Anderson and Liverpool City Council have revealed that a Liverpool resident has been diagnosed with the potentially deadly virus.

The resident is believed to have contracted the virus during a recent trip to northern Italy...

Comment

Source: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ester-17863118

Four new coronavirus cases confirmed in Greater Manchester, bringing total to nine - latest updates

There are now nine cases of coronavirus in the region
                    By Chris Slater
                    Updated17:20, 4 MAR 2020

There are four new cases of coronavirus in Greater Manchester, it has been confirmed.

One person has tested positive for the virus in Oldham and three people in Trafford.

All four became infected after travelling to Italy.

It brings the total number of confirmed cases in Greater Manchester to nine...

Comment

Source: http://altrincham.today/2020/03/04/n...e-coronavirus/

Three people in Trafford have tested positive for coronavirus
                      By David Prior at 4:43pm on 4th March 2020

Three cases of coronavirus have this afternoon been confirmed in Trafford – in addition to the Wythenshawe Hospital patient who tested positive earlier today.

The three latest cases had all travelled to northern Italy, where COVID-19 is more widespread.

There’s no more information about exactly where in Trafford the individuals are located...

Comment

Number of cases
                        As of 4 March, a total of 16,659 people have been tested in the UK, of which 16,574 were confirmed negative. 85 were confirmed as positive.

The Department of Health and Social Care will be publishing updated data on this page every day at 2pm until further notice. This data is accurate as of 9am on the day of publication.

If more cases are confirmed in the UK, it will be announced by the Chief Medical Officer of the affected country.
                        Twitter: @RonanKelly13
                        The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...for-the-public
                          Cases identified in England

Change between chart and table
                          East of England 11
                          London 29
                          Midlands 12
                          North East and Yorkshire 13
                          North West 21
                          South East 24
                          South West 22
                          To be determined 15
                          Total 147
                          Cases

East of England

London

Midlands

North East and Yorkshire

North West

South East

South West

To be determined

Total

Confirmed cases in each local authority are published by Public Health England (PHE).

Comment

Number of cases

As of 9am on 6 March 2020, 20,338 people have been tested in the UK, of which 20,175 were confirmed negative and 163 were confirmed as positive. One patient who tested positive for COVID-19 has died.

The Department of Health and Social Care publishes updated data on this page every day at 2pm.

If more cases are confirmed in the UK, it will be announced by the Chief Medical Officer of the affected country.

Overall summary of the respiratory viruses in circulation within the UK

Comment

• sharon sanders
                              sharon sanders commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The number of cases has risen from 85 (post #58) to 163 in two days.
                          Working...
                          X