No announcement yet.

9 of Hong Kong Family Infected With Coronavirus After Sharing Meal

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 9 of Hong Kong Family Infected With Coronavirus After Sharing Meal

    Updated: February 10, 2020 12:28 am IST Officials said the family was part of a gathering of 19 who shared the hotpot meal over the Lunar New Year holiday at the end of January.

    Hong Kong:
    Nine members of a Hong Kong family are infected with the new coronavirus after sharing a hotpot meal, officials confirmed late Sunday.

    A 24-year-old man and his grandmother, 91, were initially confirmed to have the virus. Hong Kong's Centre for Health Protection later said the man's father, mother, two aunts and three cousins were also infected.

    Officials said the family was part of a gathering of 19 who shared the hotpot meal over the Lunar New Year holiday at the end of January.

    A hotpot -- also known as a steamboat -- is a bubbling cauldron of stock shared communally, to which diners add ingredients.


  • #2
    On the second day (January 26) of the 19-member family eating hot pot together in the Lento Party Room in Kwun Tong, at least 9 people were confirmed to be infected with fatal Wuhan pneumonia, including a 91-year-old mother-in-law. It is reported that the mother-in-law was initially admitted to the Eastern Hospital's Emergency Medicine E4 ward on the 7th due to a fever. Fortunately, her grandson who came to pick her up revealed to the medical care that her mother-in-law had eaten hot pot with one of the initial diagnoses. Let the mother-in-law be discharged from the hospital to "spread the poison." However, before being sent to the isolation ward, the mother-in-law had close contact with at least 20 nurses in the E4 ward, and these nurses were not quarantined and tested for viruses.

    The medical staff of the Eastern District Hospital told "Apple" that the sick 91-year-old mother-in-law was admitted to the hospital on February 1 due to fever, and was admitted to the hospital's emergency medical ward, where she was prescribed antibiotics. But the effect was not obvious, the medical staff had X-ray examination of the patient. The doctor said that her mother-in-law was allowed to leave the hospital on February 8 because she had a fever, and she was discharged by her grandson.

    However, immediately before her mother-in-law was discharged, her grandson suspected that he had “exploded” to the medical care, saying that his family had “hit the side stove” together on the second day of the new year. One of the family members had consulted Ruttonjee Hospital on February 8th, and his pneumonia in Wuhan A quick test was initially positive. Some medical staff immediately refused to allow the mother-in-law to be discharged from the hospital and sent them to the isolation ward. The back hospital traced the mother-in-law's sputum sample on February 1 and found that it contained Wuhan pneumonia virus. The grandson who was discharged from the hospital has also been infected with Wuhan pneumonia.

    It is reported that the mother-in-law's E4 ward in a room was closed on February 8 and the ward was stopped on February 9. However, it is understood that during the period of staying in the hospital from February 1st to February 8th, her mother-in-law was able to walk freely throughout the ward. The doctor also said that there were at least 20 nurses in the ward involved, who had contacted her mother-in-law from February 1st to 7th; however, the higher-level nurse responsible for infection control later stated that there was no need to arrange for subordinates to be isolated or even to undergo rapid tests. N95 masks were not distributed in the ward afterwards.

    Lin Weixun, a specialist in infectious and infectious diseases, believes that the patient is likely to have spread the virus in the ward; if the patient in the same area is a long-term patient, such as an elderly person, there is a greater chance of serious illness after infection. Is it infected? Zhang Zhujun, director of the Infectious Diseases Division of the Center for Health Protection, told a press conference yesterday (9th) that it was unknown how many patients or health care providers had contacted her mother-in-law or whether she was infected. Zhang admitted that the female patient had a chronic disease. Even if she had mild symptoms, she often thought it was general flu. The HA has strengthened the test and can test more than 800 cases in one day. More than 5,000 cases can be tested each month. , The number is similar to the flu test.