Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W.H.O. to reconvene to determine if emergency declaration is needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.H.O. to reconvene to determine if emergency declaration is needed.

I have decided to reconvene the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee on the new #coronavirus (2019-nCoV) tomorrow to advise me on whether the current outbreak constitutes a public health emergency of international concern.

Source: https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/29/...e-coronavirus/

WHO to reconvene emergency committee to assess global coronavirus threat
    By Andrew Joseph @DrewQJoseph and Megan Thielking @meggophone
    January 29, 2020

The leader of the World Health Organization said Wednesday he will convene another meeting of its emergency committee to weigh whether the outbreak of a novel coronavirus amounts to a global health emergency, a week after declining to make such a declaration.

In a series of tweets, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the committee will meet again Thursday. He said that three countries outside of China — the center of the outbreak — have seen limited human-to-human transmission of the virus.

“This potential for further global spread is why I called the [committee],” he said.

The announcement from Tedros, as he is known, came as the confirmed case count in China approached 6,000, with 132 fatal cases. So far, no deaths have been reported outside China...

Comment

Working...
    X