X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB - On NPR January 6, 2012

Avian H5N1 influenza and biosecurity on Science Friday

6 JANUARY 2012
    I will be on NPR's Science Friday this afternoon (6 January, 2 PM EST) to discuss the H5N1-NSABB story. You can listen live, or download the recording which will be available later.

I written three posts (one, two, three) about the ferret H5N1 experiments and why the NSABB should not prevent the publication of these data.

I?m a bit dismayed that Science Friday tweeted about this event earlier today saying ?Today, 2-3p ET we?ll talk about the placebo effect. Then, we?ll tackle the debate over research into making influenza more deadly.? I had hoped for a less sensational, and scientifically accurate description from a well-respected science program.

Making influenza virus more deadly is not what this research was about. The over-hyping of the entire H5N1 story (both by scientists and the press) is what has got us into this situation in the first place. On Science Friday I hope to focus on the science which does not support restricting publication of the H5N1 ferret results.

I will be on NPR's Science Friday this afternoon (6 January, 2 PM EST) to discuss the H5N1-NSABB story. You can listen live, or download the recording ...
Working...
X